Have you ever found something really badly designed? Something which obscurity of its functions makes it hard to understand its use? Something almost unusable to a point it would drive you mad using it too often? Perhaps, a fool's design? Then you have come to the right place. Post your findings here and help making the world a saner place.
MasterOne

2014-01-09 10:12 »

Wow, isn't this exciting? There's an update for one of Microsoft's worst catastrophes ever, and the user interface still looks like complete shit. You would think that with all the resources they have, they would be able to actually make a user interface people want to work with. A few days ago I was installing Windows 8.1, and I can't believe how ridiculous it is when it comes to the repugnantly ugly CGA mode screens it forces you to click through in the setup phase: "Do you want to give all your bank account information to Microsoft?" "Do you want to tell Microsoft what you eat for dinner?" "Do you want to create a Microsoft account?" There's a way around creating a MS account, but Microsoft has made it difficult for less computer savvy people to figure it out. And not only that, but the options are not boxes to tick, they're fucking switches that are designed for a touch screen! Why the bloody hell would I want to flip graphical switches on a 24" monitor in fullscreen CGA mode with an ugly solid color background? I just want to get into the operating system and not be forced into doing something which is completely and utterly stupid! I remember with Windows 7, it was one of the first MS OS's to where the installer would pretty much do everything from A-Z with a minimal amount of questions (you didn't even have to put a product key in), getting the user where they needed to be in a minimally intrusive way. Vista probably was similar, but it's been too long since I installed it to remember. Now with 8.x, Microsoft has made the thing intrusive, and it's implicitly letting users know that MS is really interested in tracking them. Even if people select "no", we cannot trust the source code in Windows to actually turn off what it says it's turning off. Then there's the known back door in the app store which is a totally different issue that raises serious security concerns. Many Linux distros have a very unintrusive installer, to where after setting your partitions and user account up, the whole process is completely automatic. When will Microsoft learn?

By the way, Windows 8.x's interface looks like shit on a tablet also.

http://wzascok.livejournal.com/10860.html

!
30%

2014-01-09 13:17 »

It's simple. They have gone insane. Seriously.

slightly_insane_by_indiwolf7-d5krz77.jpg
slightly_insane_by_indiwolf7-d5krz77.jpg (285.94 KiB) Viewed 3406 times