Have you ever found something really badly designed? Something which obscurity of its functions makes it hard to understand its use? Something almost unusable to a point it would drive you mad using it too often? Perhaps, a fool's design? Then you have come to the right place. Post your findings here and help making the world a saner place.
Kittypie070
0%

2014-01-10 10:03 »

One of my little hobbies is playing with icons and their animate brethren, cursors. I collect them too.

I'll just let the images do the talking, as much as I can. I hope the original creators of these won't mind.

I like watching trends in icon design.

The kidlike, hand-scribbled style is a favourite of mine. Here's one of many examples.

social-media-icons.jpg
social-media-icons.jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

I like to observe the result of people's imaginations.

Ribbon-Social-Media-Icons-Pack-256.jpg
Ribbon-Social-Media-Icons-Pack-256.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

And then the professionals show up.

3d-box-social-media-icons.jpg
3d-box-social-media-icons.jpg (227.34 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

free beautiful social icons blogs (8).jpg
free beautiful social icons blogs (8).jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

Things can get a little weird. The pros can get away with it because they've mastered the principles of their art.

social-media-icons-4.jpg
social-media-icons-4.jpg (18.48 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

This looks like it was a challenge, even with all the high end software the pros use.

socialbuzz.jpg
socialbuzz.jpg (76.49 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

Often, you stumble across an inspired amateur, in the classic sense of the word.

108_Glowing_Neon_Social_Media_by_WebTreatsETC.jpg
108_Glowing_Neon_Social_Media_by_WebTreatsETC.jpg (391.89 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

And then, FINALLY....

We have a new trend. An advanced new set of artistic parameters.

And we, including the artists and the professionals, are being told how we are to accept it and how we are to think of it.

90-beautiful-flat-icons-of-social-media.jpg
90-beautiful-flat-icons-of-social-media.jpg (65.33 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

Fool's design
3%

2014-01-10 18:00 »

A side note, in your future posts, if you could please use the "Upload attachment" function and upload the pictures into your posts because most external image links tend to die of old age. 8-)

Please bear in mind that you don't have to do this, all posts in here are read and we will cache all pictures manually afterwards but if you did upload them yourself, it would make our job a little easier. :idea:

Thank you and welcome aboard. :relaxed:

!
30%

2014-01-10 18:06 »

Nice one! Man, I can't stand all those flat icons, flat this or flat that. Flat is everywhere these days. It just shows how most people have a herd collective mentality mixed up with corporate fools dictating how things "should look". Sad state of affairs for sure.

Ps. I think you would like the Windows - Icons, playing the look-alike game thread. :lol:

MasterOne

2014-01-10 18:58 »

The thing is, that you have to remember that most of society is in the average range (and many below) when you look at a bell curve, so something really simple and washed out appeals to them (as in your examples). You will find in your life, that you will be constantly making concessions in numerous ways due to the simple fact that people are just plain stupid. Keep in mind the reading levels of people in the U.S. in 2014 -- myriads can barely read or spell.

Kittypie070
0%

2014-01-16 20:54 »

Thanks, Fool's design, I'll try to remember the Upload Attachments thingy, I see it :D

And appreciation to everyone for the very kind welcome.

CharlotteTheHarlot

2014-01-19 06:43 »

Only the first and last picture contain icons that the MetroTards at NeoWin would ever be interested in.

All the others have depth and 3D hints and gloss and color gamut, and those things are like holy water to those vampires.