Have you ever found something really badly designed? Something which obscurity of its functions makes it hard to understand its use? Something almost unusable to a point it would drive you mad using it too often? Perhaps, a fool's design? Then you have come to the right place. Post your findings here and help making the world a saner place.
Fool's design
3%

2013-03-07 18:17 »

Fool's design.

Office 2013 - THE SHOUTING MENUS.

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TURN YOUR PC VOLUME DOWN WHILE USING OFFICE 2013!
THE MENUS ARE YELLING AND SHOUTING AT YOU!!
CAN YOU HEAR THEM!!!?
WE SURE CAN!!!!
office2013shout01.png
office2013shout01.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 5403 times
shouting-face.jpg
shouting-face.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 5403 times

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-03-13 02:08 »

Another great example of their Retro Epic Fail. RetroFail.

They have gotten every possible thing wrong now. Horrible colors. Retarded icons. Childish geometry. All capitals ( they must think it is stylish? ). And the font looks like hell.

You know, any creative person who designs pages and forms in HTML and CSS soon burns out from the pathetically limited toolset and placement features. But they even top that. Microsoft has intentionally decided to go for the appearance common in the pre-CSS HTML era somewhere around the time when Mosaic and Netscape and Prodigy and Compuserve were the big players.

I'm sure they didn't do this out of nostalgia. Microsoft was pretty much missing in action during the early 1990's Internet, so perhaps they just didn't realize we already experienced all this Playskool childish nonsense, twenty years ago!

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-03-24 05:49 »

You know, after thinking about these horrific UPPERCASE menu bars, I think I know what they are doing.

First recall what has just occurred with office which I mentioned here ...

Step-1: create cloud version called Office 364.
Step-2: destroy the GUI for regular Office and sour the license terms and name it Office 2013.
Step-3: Yank previous version of Office from market.
Accomplishment: Office transformation from a workstation professional business suite to a Playskool tablet friendly shell of its former self. All done in steps while denying all along that a sea-change was underway and while all the MicroZealots and MetroTards cheered them on.

So with the traditional GUI menu bar, it looks to me that they are just souring the milk, making the damn thing so butt-ugly that when they take it away for good we will cheer loudly and thank them.

Years ago I would have laughed this off as a cynical conspiracy theory. But who would give them the benefit of the doubt after all the crap they have pulled these days.

Not I sir.

!
30%

2013-03-24 16:54 »

CharlotteTheHarlot wrote:You know, after thinking about these horrific UPPERCASE menu bars, I think I know what they are doing...

...it looks to me that they are just souring the milk, making the damn thing so butt-ugly that when they take it away for good we will cheer loudly and thank them.

Years ago I would have laughed this off as a cynical conspiracy theory. But who would give them the benefit of the doubt after all the crap they have pulled these days.

Not I sir.

Hegelian_dialectic
Hegelian dialectic, usually presented in a threefold manner, was stated by Heinrich Moritz Chalybäus as comprising three dialectical stages of development: a thesis, giving rise to its reaction, an antithesis, which contradicts or negates the thesis, and the tension between the two being resolved by means of a synthesis.

David_Icke#Problem-reaction-solution
"You want to introduce something you know the people won't like. ... So you first create a PROBLEM, a rising crime rate, more violence, a terrorist bomb, a bad product ... You make sure someone else is blamed for this problem ... So you create a "patsy," as they call them in America, a Timothy McVeigh or a Lee Harvey Oswald, a Sinofsky or Ballmer. ... This brings us to stage two, the REACTION from the people ÔÇô "This can't go on; what are THEY going to do about it?" ... This allows THEM to then openly offer the SOLUTION to the problems they have created..."

I have to agree with you. I wish you were some crazy fool or you were just waaay off but sadly, you are neither cynical nor conspiratorial. That is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Although I have been pondering myself if they were doing exactly what you described but I never dived into it until you brought it to surface. Now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense.

Scary stuff.

I mean, imagine if that is NOT what they are doing? Imagine if they are actually THIS INCOMPETENT! Both of the scenarios are very very very scary considereing the power Microsoft Windows holds due to its widespread use.

You might have had something going there with your suggestion of breaking out Windows section from Microsoft and into a separate operating system department. Ah yeah, I will vote for that one for sure!
:idea:

Blissy

2013-03-28 09:13 »

They are just getting ready for Windows 8. Remember, Windows 8 is one step away from eliminating ascii from computers completely. You want to do something, you touch an icon, push it this way, etc. No need to read any more. They are just getting rid of lowercase letters to make it easier to use for people who are (not computer) illiterate.