Have you ever found something really badly designed? Something which obscurity of its functions makes it hard to understand its use? Something almost unusable to a point it would drive you mad using it too often? Perhaps, a fool's design? Then you have come to the right place. Post your findings here and help making the world a saner place.
Fool's design
3%

2013-03-14 02:58 »

Fool's design.

Office 2013 - Scrollbars, the madness of a splitted mind.

Microsoft's design team has zero clue about the importance of clarity in in the visual cues. Visual cues must be very clear and well, VISUAL, to take the burden off the eyes and the brain. After all, computers are here to help make our lives easier not harder.

When 90% of your working space is white, the natural and logical assumption the eyes and the brain makes upon a quick glance is that the darker and smaller section is the scrollbar handle, but not so in Microsoft land! They will confuse your eyes and make your brain work for an extra 1-2 seconds each time you try to take a quick glance at those invisible scrollbars trying to find the handle.

What looks like a trivial non-issue at first, becomes a very large problem when using this tool several hours a day. The majority of the users will not even know why they are a little more tired at the end of a working day when using this tool. It is hard to identify. Small issues, taking away your time, energy and sanity one small piece at a time.
outlookcarrotwtf01.png
outlookcarrotwtf01.png (24.33 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
outlookcarrotwtf02.png
outlookcarrotwtf02.png (27.83 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
There is also the traces of a splitted mind visible all over the place. In Windows 8, the scrollbar handles are dark on light background versus Office 2013 where the scrollbar handles are light on dark background.
outlookcarrotwtf03.png
outlookcarrotwtf03.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Splitted_Mind_by_blutspender.jpg
Splitted_Mind_by_blutspender.jpg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 4067 times

!
30%

2013-03-14 06:21 »

animated-gifs-circus-011.gif
animated-gifs-circus-011.gif (5.84 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-03-14 23:00 »

I especially like scrollbars where you cannot tell the "handle" from its "track" and you wind up grabbing the "track" instead.

And then when the "handle" is nearly the same color as the window like in the top picture, with a single pixel border so that it blends in like a vertical tab.

We're gonna need a whole new thesaurus to hold all the possible synonyms of stupid and idiotic and fail that Microsoft has invented.

edwinrrza

2013-09-20 07:59 »

i cannnot believe how ridiculous this is
i have spend days trying to find fixes or workarounds for window colours, auto hiding scroll bars, everything than looks like its on the same plane
you cant take Windows 8 type design and throw in here - it doesnt work!
I HATE IT!

I can forgive all other MS mistakes and f ups, if they can fix this rubbish! Viva Office 2010!