Have you ever found something really badly designed? Something which obscurity of its functions makes it hard to understand its use? Something almost unusable to a point it would drive you mad using it too often? Perhaps, a fool's design? Then you have come to the right place. Post your findings here and help making the world a saner place.
Black Phoenix

2013-04-06 18:52 »

This is my personal experience with Asus Transformer TF700T device. The device comes with a keyboard dock, I got mine from the early pre-release shipment in Germany. This is the device itself:
RXFm6C3.jpg
RXFm6C3.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 6478 times

After slightly less than a month of very careful use (since it is my first tablet device), at some point when closing the tablet with its dock station (as a laptop) a thin hairline crack appeared instantly across the entire screen:
E65hb.jpg
E65hb.jpg (160.58 KiB) Viewed 6478 times

Prior to this I noticed clicking sound that the screen made when holding tablet certain ways. This is the map of all areas which clicked, some more than others (including the crack itself):
y7jPz.png
y7jPz.png (15.99 KiB) Viewed 6478 times

(here and below "glass" refers to the plastic "gorilla" glass commonly used in these devices).

The first time I took the tablet to service center the repairs were denied. The second time I wrote directly to ASUS support, and I think the first email should summarize very well on what I found:
There are 7 areas where glass is moderately or severely loose. They can be identified by tapping on them, producing an audible clicking sound. This defect was present since the device was unboxed.

This was not originally an issue, but after closing dock station a long thin crack formed across two of these weak areas.

There was no force applied on the tablet or dock station when closing it, and it didn't have history of any violent mechanical forces (was never dropped, no forceful dock closing, was carried in a bag alone, no twisting or turning motions). The problem wasn't noticed right away, only found out about the thin crack after opening the dock station much later.

There are following specifics about the crack: it passes right through middle of two areas of weakness, the crack ends turning towards middle of the weak area (where the glass is loose), the glass is very slightly displaced vertically (only on edges, and not where the touch screen is) relatively to each other around the crack (this can be seen by holding tablet against the bright lamp. The reflection is discontinuous across the crack at edges, but continuous across touch screen).

There is no damage to screen itself. The capacitive sensor works fine. There are no visual artifacts on screen, and the crack seems to be limited only to the upper layer of the glass.

It seems that due to way rubber bands (which hold tablet against touching keyboard) are positioned it creates a lever which can create an extra bending force on pad edges. This should not be an issue, but the loose glass seems to have bent away from the pad, straining beyond its limit and causing the crack to form.

Everything points out to initial defects (loose glass) causing the crack. I am writing directly to you because the local ASUS service center has denied any further inspection of the device beyond the crack itself, and have denied the warranty repair.

The reason for denial was given as "mechanical damage to touch screen", and no inspection was made regarding the loose glass on edges.

I could not return the device to the shop or replace it when I initially found the defects (it was bought in a different country, and later the receipt was taken by tax return services).

I would like a replacement of the screen OR a confirmation that the loose glass are not manufacturing defects OR a more detailed explanation about this kind of damage. If the crack goes right through the weak areas, and did not appear under any strain or damage (falling etc), I can't do much else than point to failure of the manufacturer.

Attached is the picture of the crack and a map of loose glass on edges (these were found by tapping the finger across the devices edge. The map shows areas where clicking or very audible tapping sound is heard).

After this, through some more emails which are not relevant to the problem itself, I had the tablet removed. I had to wait for about a month until a spare screen arrived, but it was for free. The ASUS support does not repair mechanical damage caused by user for free, and it has previously declined repairing this tablet (and others which had same issues), which leads me to believe that indeed this is a design flaw.

Several things must go wrong for the glass to crack, but every device which has slightly loose screen has a chance of self-damage.

To summarize, these are the design flaws:
  • Lack of rubber bands to support screen on its sides on the dock - creates excessive bending on the device when it is mated with dock. Fixed by placing extra rubber bands on the dock edges.
  • Unreliable way the glass is secured to the screen/screen is secured to the device. The upper layer of glass has a chance to bend on its own, against the way screen bends, creating excessive stress. No fix available, the new screen in my tablet seems to experience same issues, but I think to a lesser degree.
  • No internal structure to support top of the device. Looking at pictures of the device teardown, while lower part of the device is reinforced due to battery being there, the upper part only has the PCB which does not have structural connections to the chassis beyond where it's mounted. No fix, this would require change in design to add extra ribs or add a metal panel at screen edges.

!
30%

2013-04-07 21:30 »

Wow! Talk about crappy design. I almost bought one of those!!! :o

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-08 00:08 »

On a side note: You can (should) attach pictures directly in your post. We have a working "Upload attachment" which also have a "Place inline" function to put your pictures in the middle of the text. If you use other image upload services, they tend to die with time. We do review all posts, however, so the pictures in your post has been uploaded and attached for you.
:)

Black Phoenix

2013-04-08 17:31 »

I see, well here's a picture of another defect on the previous (damaged) screen. I don't know if it has any connection, and it was a really hard defect to spot (somehow this only picture has it):
err.jpg
err.jpg (142.79 KiB) Viewed 6470 times

Same defects are appearing on my new screen as well. I do not have any idea of their origin, but they are relatively minor on the new screen, not a big line of damage line on the cracked one.