Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
!
30%

2013-07-06 00:17 »

I'm sure you all have read the "Windows 8 - Removed Aero Glass effect to extend battery life" topic. We all know that the fools at Microsoft removed Aero Glass from Windows 8, the reason can be discussed in that topic but here is how you get it back! :D

It will only cost you $10. Some people say why pay for it? That is for another discussion but frankly, if you cannot afford $10 then there are other issues you should deal with in your life than getting Aero Glass back. :lol:

For the record, I am in no way affiliated with Stardock.

To get the Aero Glass effect back in Windows 8, all you have to do is to simply buy WindowBlinds from Stardock. It has two default themes which enables Aero Glass for you, one with rounded corners and one with sharp window corners. The application works pretty well, it has some bugs here or there but it helped me be able to stay in Windows 8 and not go back to Windows 7. *lol*

I JUST COULD NOT STAND ANOTHER DAY WITH THAT UGLY PIECE OF SHIT CALLED THE NEW WINDOWS 8 GUI.

Here is what I looked at 19 hours a day before I installed WindowBlinds:

Wonderful world of Windows 8 theme, captions.

Wonderful world of Windows 8 basic theme, active windows.

idiots.png
idiots.png (73.46 KiB) Viewed 13520 times

From that, with help of WindowBlinds, I went to this:

aeroglasseffect.png
aeroglasseffect.png (149.54 KiB) Viewed 13520 times

Finally I can actually look at the monitor without wanting to hang myself with an extension cord! :lol:

Of course, there are all sorts of options you can choose to alter the effects, from colors to transparency etc. I also got "SkinStudio" for free which I have not used yet but with that you can alter everything.

windowblinds01.png
windowblinds01.png (261.27 KiB) Viewed 13520 times

windowblinds02.png
windowblinds02.png (211.97 KiB) Viewed 13520 times

Also noteworthy is that you can add a texture which mixes with the glass effect. Now, I couldn't be arsed to fiddle with that one but with the right texture, you could get 99% Aero Glass effect of Windows 7 back.

windowblinds03.png
windowblinds03.png (402.86 KiB) Viewed 13520 times

:idea: :!: Oh and by the way, THE AERO GLASS EFFECT WORKS EVEN INSIDE A HYPER-V VIRTUAL MACHINE!!! All of these screenshots are taken from a virtual machine running under Hyper-V. No more "buy super duper ultimate edition to get aero glass via RDP". With WindowBlinds, you get the glass effect inside a virtual machine even when you connect to it by Remote Desktop! :D :D :D :D :!: :idea:

In closing, a note to Microsoft: YOU CAN FUCK OFF!

I, user.

2013-07-06 00:53 »

fantastic-green-animal-image-31000.jpg
fantastic-green-animal-image-31000.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 13517 times

!
30%

2013-11-08 17:55 »

There is also this program, called "glass8" or something: http://glass8.berlios.de. I did try it in a virtual machine but it didn't work, although I am guessing it will work on a "regular" machine.

aero glass windows 8.png
aero glass windows 8.png (353.64 KiB) Viewed 13022 times

I'll attach the "current" version here in case that Web site disappears someday. Note: I will NOT keep this installation up to date. This is just their current version. You should always check on their own Web site and get the latest version of it. [ Note from the moderators: Please accept our apologies but considering the wording in his license, we have edited your post and have removed the attached installation files from it because we do not want any problems with that fool. We have put his own direct links to the current files in your post, however. ]

This is their current (the date I am posting this) 32bit+64bit for Windows 8.0:
http://prdownload.berlios.de/glass8/setup-1.2.exe

And this is their current version for Windows 8.1:
http://prdownload.berlios.de/glass8/win81_x64_beta3.7z
The application is very messy to install though, here is their current instructions:

aero glass install 01.PNG
aero glass install 01.PNG (82.95 KiB) Viewed 13022 times

aero glass install 02.PNG
aero glass install 02.PNG (69.55 KiB) Viewed 13022 times

!
30%

2013-11-09 10:38 »

Just for the record, I dislike that "glass8" thing because of its license. Read it for yourself and laugh:

This installer modifies AppInit_DLLs registry value to ensure that this library is injected into every process on your computer.

Yeah, that's what I want to do in my system with a closed source application. Right.

I find this section also hilarious:

You are NOT permitted to study the source code of this software by ANY way and for ANY reason. You are NOT allowed to modify, decompile, disassemble or make reverse engineering of this software. You are NOT allowed to bypass the software protection by any kind of means including memory patching or hooking. Use of this software without manually clicking the message box is in violation of international Copyright law!

Well, good luck with all that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

With all the hoopla around the Windows 8.x DRM and lock-in, this guys goes with that kind of wording instead of making it open source so others can perhaps at least improve his moronic installation way or add new and more beautiful effects. Personally, I think he is a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but hey, that's just me. I'm too lazy but I hope someone else starts disassembling his application just for the hell of it. :mrgreen:

I mean, first Microsoft fucks him (and the rest of their customers who liked Aero Glass) by locking down stuff, and then this guy tries to unfuck himself by fucking the rest of the Aero Glass fans even more. What a fool. ...or it could be that he is a "Microsoft-boy" paid to just put that thing out to shut the voice of super techy people who liked Aero Glass. Just enough for them to get some Aero Glass effect back and make them not to bother posting grief about it on the forums.

HappyMoron.jpg
HappyMoron.jpg (126.49 KiB) Viewed 13019 times

Full text:

READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE. BY DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING AND USING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR INSTALLING OR USE OF THE SOFTWARE ACKNOWLEDGES THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS LICENSE, UNDERSTAND IT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

This application is intended for advanced users only. This installer modifies AppInit_DLLs registry value to ensure that this library is injected into every process on your computer.

This application is free and can be used on any number of computers. However, it displays a message request to donate some money after startup. You are allowed to ignore this prompt and use this application without any other limitation. You are not allowed to use any kind of means (such as cracking, hooking etc.) to remove this message automatically.

This software is protected by copyright law. You are NOT permitted to study the source code of this software by ANY way and for ANY reason. You are NOT allowed to modify, decompile, disassemble or make reverse engineering of this software. You are NOT allowed to bypass the software protection by any kind of means including memory patching or hooking.

Use of this software without manually clicking the message box is in violation of international Copyright law! It is also unfair to the author, who has spent hundreds of hours developing this program.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED AS-IS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AUTHOR IS NOT OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE ANY UPDATES, UPGRADES OR TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR THE SOFTWARE. IN NO EVENT AUTHOR WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, LOST REVENUES OR LOST DATA ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THE SOFTWARE OR THIS AGREEMENT, EVEN IF AUTHOR HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Copyright © Big Muscle 2013 All Rights Reserved.

Fool's design
3%

2013-11-09 10:57 »

Note from the moderators: Please accept our apologies but considering the wording in his license, we have edited your post and have removed the attached installation files from it because we do not want any problems with that fool. We have put his own direct links to the current files in your post, however.

!
30%

2013-11-09 10:59 »

Fully understandable. It's all good. Thanks!

happyball (1).jpg
happyball (1).jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 13017 times

!
30%

2013-11-09 11:22 »

No source code to be found. *lol* :lol:

lol open source not.PNG
lol open source not.PNG (160.54 KiB) Viewed 13014 times

!
30%

2013-11-09 11:32 »

Oh, "glass8" also has a nag screen which keeps begging for donations. Like, the 1990s called, they want their shareware back. Either sell the application or make it free motherfucker. :evil: