Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
Steven W
VIP

2022-04-28 21:40 »

techtalk.cc wrote:
2022-04-25 20:46
Steven W wrote:
2022-04-25 05:36
This has been a fun experiment, I didn't realize all the ready-made stuff that was out there that'd run in the browser locally. Have been poking around a bit with javascript on my own, something I haven't done in years. Give me a browser, I'll get what I want. Some of this stuff, I'm gonna keep an eye on even if I don't keep ChromeOS Flex around.

solitaire.png
cool
Yeah, it is kinda cool. If you think about the projects/code that run in the browser (again, my interest is stuff that is capable of running without the overhead of running server software) and the potential reach, it's kinda thought provoking. Obviously, ChromeOS/Flex, Chromium OS builds and forks, possible distribution in open source distros, downloading and running in your closed source/proprietary operating systems and (also obvious) running them from a server, which would include online and perhaps your little home server.

I'd really like to see EtherPad and EtherCalc forked and made to run offline, obviously stripping out some of the collaboration stuff -- I think that it'd probably be best to fork them as they were originally intended for collaboration and I'd hate to see the projects lose site of their original goal. I believe there's too many folks that think forking is a bad thing by default and that's not always true.

In short, I'm hoping to see more of this sorta thing...

Steven W
VIP

2022-05-02 23:01 »

I've mentioned using TinyMCE. I've said I didn't want to necessarily use Googles apps either. I'm not hard set against using them either. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised I uploaded a PDF that I 'printed' from TinyMCE to Google Drive. Clicking on it caused it to display and, get this, there was a button to open it in Google Docs. I clicked said button, and it opened and I could actually edit the thing.

Someone reading this is probably laughing at me and I realize it's not the greatest thing since slice bread, but I've spent so long in my comfort zone, using OpenOffice.org/Apache OpenOffice and (very rarely) LibreOffice. I'm recalling Sun's PDF import plug-in, the thing worked, but Good Lord that thing was janky. So, yeah, at least momentarily, to me, it did seem like the greatest thing since... :lol:

Steven W
VIP

2022-05-05 05:11 »

I just got an update, but not seeing it available as a recovery image yet. I will be stepping away from ChromeOS Flex for a bit. I've kinda decided that I can't drop this on the person I started exploring the operating system for. The biggest issue for that person would be the way you have to log in to devices running it. I mean turning on a desktop/laptop. Your only choice is to enter your Google password. Apparently, even on Chromebooks with a fingerprint reader you still have to use your password. :thumbdown: You can UNLOCK the devices with the fingerprint reader, but if you shut it down, password again. WTF Google? Apparently, you can/could unlock with an Android phone too, although some say that doesn't work well and I can't figure out if that's (phone unlock) going away or not... I wouldn't want to foist that on this person anyway.

I'm going to be looking at Xubuntu, but before I do, I'll show you something I noticed about this update. The Gallery app has changed a bit.
Screenshot 2022-05-04 11.00.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-05-04 11.00.49 PM.png (46.95 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
You know, I get the audio/video/visual stuff being combined, but the PDF thing? Really? I've checked it out. Essentially you can add text boxes and scribble on PDFs. That seems so limited, especially when I mentioned being able to actually edit them in Google Docs. Not sure if that works with all PDFs though. It worked well with one 'printed' from Chrome for sure though. That in the Gallery app just seems bizarre to me, but I digress.

As far as those recovery images go, I think I found an easier way to keep track of them.

https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/servin ... eOS%20Flex

Just click the highest number under 'Recovery Images'
recv_imgs.jpg
recv_imgs.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
Obviously check it now and then for updates.

It'll be a couple of days before I really step away from Flex. If I notice anything else worth mentioning, I'll post.

Steven W
VIP

2022-06-30 00:45 »

https://9to5google.com/2022/06/20/chrom ... z-iso-tar/

Heh! I nearly wanna paste the whole article. Let me try to whittle it down a bit:
ChromeOS is now more powerful for managing files, with new support for archive formats like 7z, iso, and tar — with more on the way.
ChromeOS can now also correctly mount ISO files, which represent the data that would be written to a disc, such as a CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray. These files were often used as a basis for burning a new disc containing the same data....

The Chromium team noted to us that some ISO files are not supported, specifically those in the UDF format.
Lastly, for Linux enthusiasts, ChromeOS has also enabled support for tar files — short for “tape archive,” a format that dates back to 1979. You’ll still see tar files being used on Linux today, most often when distributing software. That said, in most cases, those tar files will be compressed further into a format such as “.tar.gz” or “.tar.xz” neither of which are supported by ChromeOS today.
Instead, these formats and more will arrive as part of a second wave of ChromeOS’s new archive support, planned for version 104 in August.
  • tar.gz
  • tgz
  • gz
  • tar.bz2
  • tar.bz
  • tbz2
  • tbz
  • tb2
  • tz2
  • bz2
  • bz
  • tar.xz
  • txz
  • xz
  • tar.lz
  • tlz
  • lz
  • tar.lzma
  • tlzma
  • lzma
  • tar.zst
  • tzst
  • zst
  • tar.Z
  • taZ
  • tZ, Z
https://www.howtogeek.com/812887/chrome ... zip-files/

Perhaps an important note:
Archives created in the .7Z format popularized by 7-Zip can now be opened (unless they are password-protected)...
Some of these I couldn't care less about. Others, well:
its-about-fucking-time.jpg
its-about-fucking-time.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 6991 times
:lol:

Steven W
VIP

2022-07-15 05:39 »

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/ ... s-and-macs

I guess you could say it's out of 'beta'?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/07 ... romebooks/
Google today announced in a blog post that ChromeOS Flex, a version of its Chromebook operating system suitable for most hardware, has moved from early access to general availability. It also said it certified "over 400" devices, including systems from Apple, Dell, and HP, to run the OS smoothly and stably.

Steven W
VIP

2023-02-15 01:44 »

https://support.google.com/chromeos-bet ... -documents
Users will be offered a guided setup experience that takes them through the process of installing the Microsoft 365 web app and connecting Microsoft OneDrive to their Chromebook Files app. Files will be moved to Microsoft OneDrive when opening in the Microsoft 365 app.
Keep an eye out for the full launch announcement details in the coming months, and for those in our dev and beta channels, you’ll be able to test the implementation even earlier so please keep an eye out!
I'm sure that this will be a welcome development to many. I hope that alternatives are offered, like opening MS Office files directly in Google Workspace. I hope that extension for editing remains available too, just either let them remove it or install it only if they choose. I also hope that perhaps some development on the extension occurs to improve its performance, particularly with spreadsheets.

I am a bit curious what will happen if your, let's say DOCX file isn't uploaded to your OneDrive and you double-click it... Will it automatically upload it to OneDrive and open it?
BrU.png
BrU.png (423.16 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
(NOT MY SCREENSHOT)

Steven W
VIP

2023-02-15 01:48 »

Oh! Duh! Perhaps I should read what I quoted :lol: :
Files will be moved to Microsoft OneDrive when opening in the Microsoft 365 app.

!
30%

2023-02-16 17:36 »

Steven W wrote:
2023-02-15 01:48
Files will be moved to Microsoft OneDrive when opening in the Microsoft 365 app.
lol

Steven W
VIP

2023-02-18 01:24 »

! wrote:
2023-02-16 17:36
Steven W wrote:
2023-02-15 01:48
lol
huhu2.jpg
huhu2.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
:lol:

!
30%

2023-02-24 20:30 »

Hahaha... that photo of Jim Carrey! I didn't use to like him when I was young but recent years, so many bad actors and movies come out, I have started to appreciate his acting, I think I didn't understand him and his style those years.