Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
Steven W
VIP

2023-11-04 05:46 »

Oops, I noticed that I put "double-click for context menu" in the image 'backlight-video_line.png'. Obviously, that should be 'right-click for context menu'. :oops:

Steven W
VIP

2023-11-11 07:59 »

Apparently Google's decided to make getting the latest image easier:

https://dl.google.com/chromeos-flex/ima ... st.bin.zip

Steven W
VIP

2024-01-10 02:19 »

I'm aware that I can now run Linux apps in this thing. I guess in the non-Flex, a.k.a real ChromeOS, you can also run Android apps. Regarding the Linux applications, I'm not so in love with the ChromeOS Flex's UI that I think that it's an oh-so-wonderful replacement for insert-Linux-Desktop-Environment here. In other words, I'd rather run a Linux Distro at that point. In fact, I do most of the time. Looked at from a few other angles...It's something else to go wrong, it's another layer that gives rise to potential security issues. Blah, blah, blah. If I'm gonna use this damn thing, I'd prefer to stick with what it comes with and what I can do in-browser.

While I'm likely in a minority regarding my thoughts/way of using ChromeOS Flex, I hope Google's Devs think along these lines too. I believe thinking that way would make the OS better all around for all users.

Steven W
VIP

2024-09-12 01:24 »

Shocked again by how decent ChromeOS Flex is. Had to travel recently for work, grabbed and old laptop, installed Flex, and went. It connected to the WiFi at both the hotel and where I was at for work. We (those of us that traveled) were given a lot of PDFs and had to access email, all went fine. I got home and had to scan a bunch of receipts, was dreading dragging the ol' Windows PC out and hooking it all up. That little voice said hook the scanner/printer combo up to the laptop. Well it instantly recognized the printer and I was just about to give up on scanning when I looked at the combo unit, and realized that I had to set it to scan mode (on the combo unit itself, had not used it in a long time). Put it in scan mode and voila, it worked. Hell, even the scanner interface in ChromeOS Flex isn't bad. I guess I was more surprised that it recognized the printer/scanner that I have, it's kinda old, 2013 model.

Once again, I got to give Google some credit. :thumbup: