Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-23 02:39 »

Those of you paying attention to what MS is doing with Windows 11 SE and how they're pushing Office 365 far harder than their on-disk, old-school installed Office product can see where the future is going. Essentially EdgeOS Flex, perhaps on top of a watered-down Windows kernel. You do have to wonder if DotCrap development will at some time in the not-to-distant future only be available to those with an azure subscription, using a cloud-based IDE....
2582332.jpg
2582332.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 7935 times

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-23 02:48 »

LOL, I type this shit without even really researching it:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/apps/cloud

Anywho, I think this future is coming fast.

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-23 03:15 »

With all the above said, I think you can see too how Google releasing ChromeOS Flex to the public has nothing but upside for them. They can tell business customers that they have an OS, cloud-based services, including an office suite, email that for a fee you can use your domain with. I can see, especially for industries with a lot of players that aren't all that different from one another (warehousing comes to mind), we have essentially a drag-and-drop UI for our cloud DB backend... we'll do custom code for a small fee if you let us reserve rights to reuse it... We'll take care of security for you...

Anyway, back to ChromeOS Flex, having all these users submitting suggestions and ideas and running varied hardware that Google can build information on just ultimately provides one more thing they can offer to businesses, one more piece in the one-stop-shop, if you will.

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-24 00:22 »

I've been submitting feature requests and suggestions to Google and I just feel as though much of what I've been requesting is so fundamentally basic that much of it should have been done by now.

I just recently asked for 'invert selection' in the Files app. I actually requested 'Extract To' and 'Extract All' on compressed files... I'm glad to see one of those came to be. I've mentioned (yes, requested too) a 'replace all' feature in the Text app.

To think Chromebooks have been shipping/on sale since 2011 and that these simple, basic usability features aren't there is kind of mind-blowing.
my-mind-it-is-blown.jpg
my-mind-it-is-blown.jpg (917.73 KiB) Viewed 7933 times

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-24 01:37 »

Here, I have what I consider an embarrassingly bad example of the kinds of things I'm speaking of:

Open the Files app, hold down CTRL and select three or four files, right-click on one of them and choose 'Get info'. You think you're going to see information regarding the three or four files you selected? Au contraire! You'll see a preview of the first file selected and information on that file only. :crazy:

I wouldn't be so hard on this if it were brand new, but after having existed for over a decade?
joe-biden-cmon-man.gif
joe-biden-cmon-man.gif (112.57 KiB) Viewed 7932 times
Every freaking File Manager I've ever seen can handle that sort of thing.

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-24 04:22 »

Well, I've submitted a ton of suggestion/advice. What I can think of right off the top of my head:
  • I've told them about the multiple file selection issue and provided some suggestions regarding displaying 'info' when using 'list' vs 'thumbnail' view
  • I've suggested adding encryption (password protection) as an option to ZIP files created in the File app
  • As mentioned, I suggested an 'invert selection' feature in the File app
  • I've asked for displaying 'width x height' when using the crop tool in the Gallery app
  • I've asked for a quality/compression slider when saving JPEG/JPG files in the Gallery app
  • I've asked for a similar tool regarding 'deflation' of PNG files
  • I've asked for 'flip horizontally' and 'flip vertically' in the Gallery app
  • Again, as mentioned, I suggested 'extract to' (also 'extract here') to select a folder when extracting ZIPs
  • Of course, the 'replace all' suggestion for the Text app
Eh, I've submitted others, but I think those are the most needed.

To the Chrome/Chromium OS Devs credit, the Gallery app has a pretty decent toolset for minor edits to images. I think it would cover a good 90-some percent of the adjustments that most users need to make. The ability to control compression, particularly on JPGs would make it nearly perfect. To clarify here, while it may sound as though I'm ragging on ChromeOS / ChromeOS Flex, I wouldn't bother submitting feedback/suggestions if I didn't see the value in it. Hopefully we'll see some movement on some of these suggestions. Eh, they've already added the 'Extract all' option :thumbup:

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-25 05:36 »

This has been a fun experiment, I didn't realize all the ready-made stuff that was out there that'd run in the browser locally. Have been poking around a bit with javascript on my own, something I haven't done in years. Give me a browser, I'll get what I want. Some of this stuff, I'm gonna keep an eye on even if I don't keep ChromeOS Flex around.
solitaire.png
solitaire.png (1023.4 KiB) Viewed 7919 times

Steven W
VIP

2022-04-25 05:58 »

I guess I should thank Google for making me look all that ready-made stuff.
Alex-receives-the-Ludovico-Technique-in-A-Clockwork-Orange.jpg
Alex-receives-the-Ludovico-Technique-in-A-Clockwork-Orange.jpg (918.92 KiB) Viewed 7919 times

techtalk.cc
100%

2022-04-25 20:46 »

Steven W wrote:
2022-04-25 05:36
This has been a fun experiment, I didn't realize all the ready-made stuff that was out there that'd run in the browser locally. Have been poking around a bit with javascript on my own, something I haven't done in years. Give me a browser, I'll get what I want. Some of this stuff, I'm gonna keep an eye on even if I don't keep ChromeOS Flex around.

solitaire.png
cool