Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
Steven W
VIP

2014-06-08 04:35 »

What do you have in system.ini for Vcache?

Jimmyjam

2014-06-08 05:14 »

Just maxfilecache=262144 to limit the cache to 256MB.

I've tested a clean VFAT.VXD as you suggested but the result is the same. Windows fails to load it into memory.

Steven W
VIP

2014-06-08 06:47 »

The computer support tech in me, would like to know what's going on. Of course, I don't know how much effort you're willing to put in to that.

I know that I can load with 3 GB, but I use the older patch (where you needed to patch VMM32.vxd of off the install CD):

http://www.techtalk.cc/download/file.php?id=1847

I also rebuilt VMM32.vxd (Yes RFMaster, I want to marry it).

and I could still boot after applying the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Out Of Memory Errors VCACHE.VXD 4.10.2223 Fix:

REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Hyperlink. DUTCH LAW DOES NOT ALLOW HYPERLINKING TO WAREZ MATERIAL.

So there's a few things you could try, but it might be wise to wait and see if RFMaster weighs in.

Steven W
VIP

2014-06-08 07:18 »

RFMaster, I have to ask, how the heck do you make such wonderful animated gifs?

Jimmyjam

2014-06-08 09:28 »

I did some experimenting with the VXDs and older patcher but it didn't produce any positive results, so I guess it's more research for now.

I know the patch is working to some extent otherwise Windows would have hung on "Insufficient memory to initialize Windows" and never gotten to the VFAT error.

RFMaster

2014-06-08 11:44 »

Jimmyjam wrote:Just maxfilecache=262144 to limit the cache to 256MB.

I've tested a clean VFAT.VXD as you suggested but the result is the same. Windows fails to load it into memory.

You have to remove that shit from system.ini. Patch will not work if you modify system.ini

I mean, i know you have to do some modifications in system.ini when you install win9x on machine with more then 1gb of ram
to be able to run the system for the first time. But first you have to make backup copy of original system.ini and then restore it
if you use my patcher.

I forgot to mention, my patcher make backup copies of your original VMM.VXD & VMM32.VXD in folder C:WindowsVMMBACK
So, you can restore them if something is fucked up.

RFMaster

2014-06-08 12:01 »

Steven W wrote:RFMaster, I have to ask, how the heck do you make such wonderful animated gifs?

:grin:

Camtasia.PNG
Camtasia.PNG (35.41 KiB) Viewed 4374 times

Jimmyjam

2014-06-08 15:08 »

Okay then, starting from a clean slate for another test is easy enough. I wasn't aware your patcher interacted with system.ini in such a way.

I tried again using the following procedure:
Brought the machine back down to 512MB of memory
Format
Install Windows98SE
Install Problemchylde's USP3
Reboot
Patch with 4G_Enabler
Reboot again, verify that the system works OK with 512MB memory
Shut down, swap memory to 3GB and restart
"VFAT Device Initialization Failed."

Same issue. Windows just can get the VFAT driver loaded.

I figured I needed some kind of control subject to make sure I'm not doing something wrong so I set up a test in a VM instead using the same procedure as above. The end result was that the patcher worked as expected and the system in the VM had no trouble booting and recognizing 3GB of memory.

So then I tried replicating the state my hardware was originally in using a VM:
Set RAM to 512MB
Install Win98SE
Install USP3 & reboot
Install Himemx & XMSDSK and set up a 2GB ramdisk in config.sys/autoexec.bat
Set MaxPhysPage=30000 and MaxFileCache=262144 in system.ini
Shut down, set memory to 3GB and restart
Verify that system boots and works properly. Ramdisk is mounted and system shows 768MB of memory
Rem out Himemx and XMSDSK lines in config.sys/autoexec.bat
Remove MaxPhysPage=3000 from system.ini but leave in MaxFileCache=262144
Patch with 4G_Enabler and reboot
Patch worked, system starts properly and shows 3GB of memory.
Start drinking heavily

I'm positive it's a lower memory range issue with my hardware at this point. I need to figure out some way to move any resources that don't absolutely need to be in the first 16MB of memory to someplace else in RAM. Something to research tonight or tomorrow, I guess.

Win98SE 4G Patched.png
Win98SE 4G Patched.png (13.58 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

Steven W
VIP

2014-06-08 17:31 »

I'm gonna say this for the benefit of people reading this that may not be a computer literate as you are. Really, HimemX with /Max=524288, by itself, *should* be ample to overcome the initial boot issues (at least as far as memory goes) to begin. There really *shouldn't* be any need to physically remove RAM, use the XMS disk or even add settings to the System.ini.

RFMaster

2014-06-08 18:07 »

^Jimmyjam
Man, this two lines ->

The attachment vcache.PNG is no longer available

Must be removed when you use my patcher

Jimmyjam wrote:I'm positive it's a lower memory range issue with my hardware at this point. I need to figure out some way to move any resources that don't absolutely need to be in the first 16MB of memory to someplace else in RAM. Something to research tonight or tomorrow, I guess.

I do not think so. I think Q288430 causing troubles.

You can do one experiment?

1. Install Win98Se & this->REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Hyperlink. DUTCH LAW DOES NOT ALLOW HYPERLINKING TO WAREZ MATERIAL. (Now without SP3)

vcache.PNG
vcache.PNG (774 Bytes) Viewed 4351 times

2. Start My 4G_Enabler and Press "Patch it" and do not restart your computer!
3. Delete all himem and vcache craps from System.ini
4. Make directory C:Temp
5. Extract VMM32.VXD from your Win98cd CD to C:Temp
6. Go to C:Temp and change VMM32.VXD attributes from "Read-only" to "Archive"
7. Download this-> Patchers.zip and extract it to C:Temp
8. Start "G-VMM32 Patcher.exe" and press "Patch it"
9. Go to C:Temp and rename VMM32.VXD to VMM.VXD
10. Go to C:WindowsSystemVMM32 and delete VMM.VXD and NTKERN.VXD
11. Copy VMM.VXD from C:Temp to C:WindowsSystemVMM32
12. Restart your computer and see what happens.

And tell me what happens.