Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
RFMaster

2014-05-16 02:15 »

^98 Guy

By default Win98 do not have VMM.VXD

When you install Win98, installer extract VMM32.VXD from win98_54.cab to System and than modify it, that's why it is bigger.

BUT Complete patch for more then 1GB requires both files in the system and both files need to be patched VMM32.VXD and VMM.VXD - bigger and and smaller.

98 Guy wrote:Where does G-VMM Patcher.exe look for VMM32.VXD to patch and create VMM.vxd? Does it look in the same directory that it's being run from?

Yes, it must be in the same directory where vmm.vxd is. Read this again carefully http://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?p=3385#p3385

If it is not in the same directory where vmm.vxd is than it will create vmm.vxd but that file is empty, nothing useful in it, only zeros in it...

RFMaster

2014-05-16 02:38 »

G-VMM Patcher.exe do not look for VMM32.VXD it look for VMM.VXD. You have to rename VMM32.VXD to VMM.VXD

i think i was clear there http://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?p=3385#p3385

Maybe it's a little complicated but that's because it was done in a hurry.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-05-16 05:21 »

RFMaster wrote:G-VMM Patcher.exe do not look for VMM32.VXD it look for VMM.VXD. You have to rename VMM32.VXD to VMM.VXD

i think i was clear there viewtopic.php?p=3385#p3385

Maybe it's a little complicated but that's because it was done in a hurry.

Do you think its possible to patch VMM.VXD 4.10.2226 thats included in SP3. This was an update/hotfix M$ release in the past?

98 Guy

2014-05-16 05:27 »

Here is more stuff translated from freora.de in case it's useful:

--------------------------

Fr 5. Dez 2008
Post subject: Vcache.zip - VCACHE Fix attempt by Xeno86

Hello, a brief comment on this downloadable here Vcache.zip for Windows 98Se, as I have myself busy and I noticed this file here by random search:

In the "Vcache.vxd " file is a part of Unofficial Windows 98 SE Out of Memory Errors Q253912 VCACHE.VXD 4.10.2223 Fix VCACHE Fix attempt by Xeno86 msfn.org/board/VCACHE-fix-attempt-t105373.html

There, downloadable under the "Q253912.exe", file size: Vcache.vxd 37.163 kB.

If you delete the row from the publisher:

VCACHE Virtual Device (Version 4.0)
VCACHE_DDB ? ÿ ? ÿ ? 0 ì ? ì ? VS_VERSION_INFO 4 ½ ? Ith ? ®? ®? ? ? ? String File Info l ? 041504E2 ( ? Company Name Microsoft Corporation @ FileDescription Urz ¹ dzenie wirtualne VCACHE ( wersja 4.0)  File Version 4.10.2223 ? InternalName VCACHE < (Legal Copyright Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp . 1988-1999 $ OriginalFileName VCACHE.VXD , " Product Name System operacyjny Microsoft ( R) Windows ( R) Product version 4.10.2222 $ VarFileInfo ? translation â ? ?

follows exactly the presented Vcache.vxd with 36.606 kB. (Will disassemble needs estimated not explicitly mentioned). It would be very welcome if the author would call lamp222 the author at least, if he had blotted it out of the original. The user should also note and learn on what he gets involved with this measure (for details ,see above website).

Sincerely yours
Fanthomas

--------------

Post subject : Re : Vcache.zip - VCACHE Fix attempt by Xeno86
Post Posted : Fri December 5, 2008, 17:12

Hello Guest, What you write is sadly mistaken. I got me the file from your link downloaded and it is exactly as I thought. Also in this Vcache.vxd the original value 0x20 0x03 by Microsoft on file offset 0x5D25 is still available see:

Description section VCACHE.ZIP and then -> additional detailed information - only for programmers familiar with the Hex

REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Hyperlink. THE AUTHOR ISSUED A REMOVE ORDER.

Can you like to check for yourself! My solution is somewhat simpler (4 bytes changed in the Result / just a huge effort to find and test it)

Incidentally, I have at Creopard (nandlstadt.com) which offer the Xeno86 vcache with, my VCACHE also offered , even sent there
! Added: Xeno86 's VCACHE.VXD fix

I had in fact tested this vcache and found that he even removes the error but less cache for disposal represents. I was told I should make it but purely on msfn.org. But I do not feel like me still with English . rumzuplagen . Machine language (assembler) from hex code nice enough for me :-)

beautiful second Advend
lamp222

PS. Next time read this info. Have just in this case (since there were only 4 bytes) described exactly what I was facing the Microsoft have changed with original file offset .

Steven W
VIP

2014-05-16 06:22 »

I cheated and copied a big chunk of the German file and pasted it in to my original Vmm32.vxd file. It's from my system before I was playing around with the German files. Anyway, it works on my system with RFMaster's patched VMM.vxd. I am providing a link to it if anyone else wants to try it. I don't believe that there's any German left in it. ***I take responsibility for absolutely nothing!***

REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Hyperlink. DUTCH LAW DOES NOT ALLOW HYPERLINKING TO WAREZ MATERIAL.

I've renamed it Vmm32M.vxd. You will have to remove the 'M' before the extension if you want to use it. Drop it in the 'System' folder.

RFMaster

2014-05-16 08:31 »

Guys, i think i found a way how to patch second part ->vmm32.dll

If i succeed in that, i'll make complete patch (much better and crisper than the previous :mrgreen:) and video tutorial "How to..." :lol:

RFMaster

2014-05-16 08:33 »

RFMaster wrote:Guys, i think i found a way how to patch second part ->vmm32.dll

Damn! vxd, not dll. :mrgreen:

I, user.

2014-05-16 13:15 »

No source code for this patcher?

RFMaster

2014-05-16 16:00 »

^I, user
This patcher is Freeware!
But it is not Open Source.

+ As you can see, size of this patcher is ~6.5 KB! Why would anyone need the source code for such small program?
+ It is not final version.

I, user.

2014-05-16 16:56 »

I was just curious how you did it and was thinking, maybe someone can improve on it in case the patcher stops working in the future but anyway, it was more of a curiosity. :oops: