Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-08-11 11:44 »

This is why foolsdesign is our back up site. Thanks

Steven W
VIP

2013-08-11 18:11 »

FYI, MajorGeeks has a link to a really old version of the Service Pack (pre-PROBLEMCHYLD):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... _pack.html

I left a comment that's "pending moderation" over there stating the project has been updated and pointing to this thread.

Steven W
VIP

2013-08-11 23:20 »

I had to do some explaining about why PROBLEMCHYLD, not Alper Coskun (a.k.a Gape) was maintaining the package, but I think we're going to get a download link from Major Geeks.

Steven W
VIP

2013-08-12 03:38 »

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... _pack.html :D

PROBLEMCHYLD, if you want anything changed with that, I'll give you Major Geeks owner's email (not posting that here in the forum).

Drugwash

2013-08-16 13:26 »

Fool's design wrote:Regular HTTP-download links are now added and should enable you to resume.

Thank you very much, they seem to work fine.

Please, please, please do allow users to choose whether they want to be notified of new replies by e-mail. I have memory problems and need such notifications.

Fool's design
3%

2013-08-16 14:43 »

Drugwash wrote:...Thank you very much, they seem to work fine.

You are welcome. :)

Drugwash wrote:Please, please, please do allow users to choose whether they want to be notified of new replies by e-mail. I have memory problems and need such notifications.

We are sorry but we cannot help you on this one. We do not provide a calendar reminder service. Not being able to subscribe for email notifications is one of the essential parts of our business model for this Web site. We have explained why here: viewtopic.php?t=66 »

...topic subscriptions.
Being able to subscribe to a topic or an entire forum is great! Well, at first. The more the forums grow, the more useless this function becomes. Lots of old users and/or dead emails start to clog up the system. Subscription works fine if you have for example a podcast where the "content" is not on the main site, although even there an RSS feed is a lot better.

Another issue with this function is that because"users" are inherently "lazy" (those who build software know what it means), this function will help keeping them away from the website and not visiting it often. We have nothing against such users, we do not mind them at all but these kinds of "remote" users are not something we actively seek or care about. That's why the subscription function is disabled. If you care about this place, you should be actively visiting it and not "remotely".
8-)...

Please feel free to discuss it over there in that topic.

Thank you.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-08-16 20:53 »

@ Drugwash, I'll try to keep you posted 8-)

@ Steven W, can you ask the admin at major geeks to reset the number of downloads. I don't want to mislead anyone.

I will be releasing 3.26 soon

Bug Fixes
Added MQQM.DLL 1.0.0.304 Win98 Hotfix
Added Netmeeting 3.01
1 font from Microsoft IntelliPoint

and probably some more bug fixes.

So far, the only packages not included are

DirectX 9c
Internet Explorer 6
Microsoft L2TP/IPSec VPN Client 1.0
NET Framework
Windows Image Acquisition 1.1 (WIA)
Windows Media Player 9 (WMP)

and I'm working on the VPN client in case users don't want 3rd party apps.

Drugwash

2013-08-17 11:59 »

PROBLEMCHYLD wrote:@ Drugwash, I'll try to keep you posted 8-)

Thank you very much! I still hope we'll find some sort of compromise here. Will go to the other thread.

PROBLEMCHYLD wrote:So far, the only packages not included are

DirectX 9c
Internet Explorer 6
Microsoft L2TP/IPSec VPN Client 1.0
NET Framework
Windows Image Acquisition 1.1 (WIA)
Windows Media Player 9 (WMP)

and I'm working on the VPN client in case users don't want 3rd party apps.

Those should be left last, only after their contents have been carefully selected, because they're very very large and the total size of the final SP package might put lots of users off in case many small tweaks would have to be done after their addition. I'm still of the opinion that SP should be modular, keeping optional items such as the above in separate package(s). Look at me, I'm crawling at 14kB/s with a GPRS modem for the most part of every month, in 2013! :cry:

!
30%

2013-08-17 14:47 »

Drugwash wrote:...I'm still of the opinion that SP should be modular, keeping optional items such as the above in separate package(s). Look at me, I'm crawling at 14kB/s with a GPRS modem for the most part of every month, in 2013! :cry:

My two cents here, the thing about a SP is that is contains "everything". If it gets cut into smaller modules then it no longer would be SP. Now, if the installation of SP could some how have I dunno checkboxes or something to not install some specific module, that would be cool. Although, I'm unsure if that idea helps with crappy ISPs. Hm, tricky this one. :?

Drugwash

2013-08-17 16:45 »

The SP already allows specific options to be left out at install time through checkboxes, but I was thinking of all those repeated downloads of a huge single pack when a bugfix version is released. If the bugfix is in the optional pack, one may then download only a 10-20-30MB pack instead of a 80-100-120MB pack. Think of me as an example, with a 14kB/s connection, downloading such pack every week or so. And there may be others with such slow connection, I've seen a couple at MSFN.

I'd suggest:
- part 1: main updates only
- part 2: optional components (currently in SP)
- part 3: extra components (DirectX, IE6, .NET, WMP, etc)

Main installer would detect the presence of other modules (or optionally ask for their location), then add their own settings to the options screen. Separate packs, smaller time to unpack when certain component is required upon (re)install and most of all, a choice not to waste bandwidth when new version of any module is released.

My two (euro)cents. 8-)