Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-08-17 17:52 »

One of the main reasons I release once a month. At the same time, you will have people that might miss the mini update package. Once it becomes final we won't have this problem. Another thing is, if I add those huge packages, all the SP will become is an updated Autopatcher. If one take a deep look into the SP and compare it to AP, one can see minor differences.

Drugwash

2013-08-18 00:01 »

That's true. But we can't avoid having these packages, because some people like minimalistic while others want the extra olive with their Martini. If we were talking 20-30MB for the whole final package including the extra, this wouldn't be a problem at all, but a 120+ MB package is quite cumbersome. Splitting would alleviate server bandwidth usage, plus users' time for download and bandwidth. The occasional absent-minded (as myself, sometimes :oops: ) that misses an update can be dealt with and nice red writing in strategic place(s) on the download page should minimize the chances of such miss.

Anyway, to be fair, AutoPatcher wasn't that bad at the time. My main machine has been set up just about the time it was in development and it's still up and running. 8-) So basically we're trying to provide the user with a complete set of official/unofficial updates plus additional - optional or not - modules, minus the drivers that were in AutoPatcher. Nothing bad about that. :relaxed:

Just keep in mind that MS themselves haven't been able to build an all-purpose all-hardware OS; even their latest crap requires Internet access to grab the drivers and other patches, not to mention how often it "calls home" on every move (I've seen Win7 accessing the modem over the network on each file copy/move, application start, etc - creepy!) So we must always be aware that the perfect package is just an ideal, not a reachable goal. But we'll get as close as possible. ;)

Steven W
VIP

2013-08-19 16:51 »

PROBLEMCHYLD, I asked the owner to reset the counter, unfortunately he's not comfortable with that. I didn't pay attention to the number when he changed it, but yesterday when I composed the email it was 811251. It's been downloaded 50 times since then! The only thing I can suggest is if we point people to that tell them that the download number includes every version of the pack ever hosted on Majorgeeks. If no one knows of an earlier number we could us 811251 as reference. OH! Wait he did put this up:

This project has been taken over by a new person due to an illness from the original author. Visit the author link above if you need help. This download originally had 811,251 before it was taken over by a new developer.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-08-25 22:22 »

Thanks Steven W 8-)

@ Drugwash, can you upload all those start menu banners here. The old link is dead.

Steven W
VIP

2013-08-26 07:06 »

I had some very bad experiences with AutoPatcher. I had to wipe and reinstall both times I tried it. It left me frightened to try any unofficial updater for a very long time. I finally relented and tried Gape's, which always worked very well (versions I tried anyway). PROBLEMCHYLD's additions and improvements have always worked well too with the minor exception of the USB mouse/keyboard issues a few versions back (theses were easily fixed, no wipe/reinstall was necessary).

One dumb thing that AutoPatcher does is not seperating IE 6.xx's install from everything else. As for anything else, my system was always too unstable/jacked up after using it to tell.

Drugwash

2013-08-27 12:42 »

Steven, when it comes to matching hardware and software, anything goes. More so with our old Windows versions and more so with OEM machines that tend to implement things differently than the rest of the world and by this they sometimes break generic software or require OEM drivers and/or a lot of tinkering. For that reason, I've tried to stay away from major OEMs as much as possible. And I did have a lot of work to do, to get my main system as it is now (not that it's perfect, bug-free and all but it runs 24/7) because there still are minor tweaks to perform, no matter how "universal" a service package is.

Saying that, AutoPatcher has been a work in progress and due to its complexity, bugs were inherent. Unfortunately it has never been polished enough, but this is where uSP comes in strong. Occam's Razor in action. 8-)

PROBLEMCHYLD, I've repacked all the new banners I could find in that working folder, I hope they're what you need, otherwise I'll have to look through the older ones too. Can't remember what packages I've posted before and my working folder is a complete mess, you have no idea. Unfortunately I'm constantly getting "500" errors trying to upload the archive... Never seen such board setup in my life. If I can find your email address, I'll send it directly to you - I've had enough with this board already! :evil:

Fool's design
3%

2013-08-27 14:14 »

Drugwash wrote:...Unfortunately I'm constantly getting "500" errors trying to upload the archive... Never seen such board setup in my life. If I can find your email address, I'll send it directly to you - I've had enough with this board already! :evil:

phpBB is one of the most famous and best forum softwares in the world and that is what we use. Even Ars Technica uses it. Beside that, we are using a true 1 Gbps Internet line. In our opinion, we do offer an excellent service compared to many other Web sites. That being said, it might be your upload speed limit which breaks the upload due to perhaps a timeout error. How large is the file and how long does it take before you get the "500" error? This might be a PHP upload setting which needs to be tweaked.

!
30%

2013-08-27 14:36 »

Drugwash wrote:...I've had enough with this board already! :evil:

...lololol, seriously? :lol: :D :lol:

I was not aware that there are many boards out there on Gigabit lines with unlimited file upload size which also allows non registered users to post AND download the attached files? Are there also many boards out there where people can actually speak freely? All that for FREE AND WITHOUT ADVERTISEMENT.

Because I could swear there is no such board out there except this place but maybe I am missing something. 8-)

Relax, have a Kit Kat.

kit-kat.jpg
kit-kat.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

Drugwash

2013-08-27 14:57 »

File is little over 1MB (1,207,567 bytes, to be precise) and it keeps spinning the browser tab icon as if it works, network activity in tray icon is continuous and right when you think it finished the job (in about one or two minutes on my connection), there you go a nice "Internal server error 500" page pops up. Happened over a dozen times, even after refreshing the page, direct connection or through an anonymous proxy.

However, sending the same file as an attachment to an e-mail succeeded at first attempt, through POP Peeper (my mail manager). And I've never had such error before while uploading to wordpress.com blog or other forum boards (incidentally IPB, since I noticed a strong trend of replacing all forum boards software with IPB lately).

Maybe Big Brother doesn't like me communicating with this place or maybe I have a shitty karma, but that's just facts as happened.

!
30%

2013-08-27 15:19 »

Drugwash wrote:...since I noticed a strong trend of replacing all forum boards software with IPB lately...

Isn't that what MSFN is using? Which has so many database issues and lost posts? :P :P :P