Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
daman

2015-03-09 22:17 »

Not very straight forward. Have installed and wiped numerous times.
Define Core? IE Core or Windows Core? An IE update that breaks IE? Maybe it should read disable?
1. Resume might be nice. Leave the uncompressed and RunOnce and a button to clear and quit.
2. Is SP3.cab HUGE or what? After install takes forever to scan and extract from it. MUCH longer than 98s cabs even on CD.
3. No Core if one uses IE? So then for a majority of people this is NOT an SP but merely a cache of free tools/abandonware? And we should find the stand alone patches?
4. Office refers to the abandonware Word 97? Word is but a small part of Office?
5. Since no resume and it does not keep track of installed how about an appended log?
6. ChangeLog is extensive. Most are Core and not allowed if one does not wish to neuter IE? Like if one wants to delete "Obsolete Files" and use IE they are SOL?
7. Since this is pretending to be an SP is there a list of KBids and how to install them without neutering IE?
The CHM is also confusing:
[1] Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
[2] Install all drivers for your hardware.
[3] Install Internet Explorer (any version).*
[4] Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).*
[5] Install latest DirectX 9c.*
[6] Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
[7] Install MS Office.*
[8] Install 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack, KernelEx.*
Since CHM is embedded in cab isn't 98 already installed? Main = Core?
Or that big warning means do not SP2 IE if you are using it? But patch it if not?

EMPTORXC
0%

2015-03-10 00:59 »

Thankyou for your input.
1. Haven't seen this previously suggested (- Obviously install time depends
on the speed of the 'installed on' system. Would it be helpful if at least a
bald statement was provided in the documentation/webpage , along the lines
of "Installation of all components onto a {say minimum/mid level} system
takes about X minutes" ?) Is your desire for a Resume function because you
believe that user input is required at too many separated times during the
install, rather than having a 'set the tickboxes choices once, at the beginning,
then forget' type install experience?
2. Of course, and reading the Changelog, (which to date has been provided and
hopefully will continue to be in the future :wtf: )you can see placing more elements
of the install into the SP2.cab was done for ease of slipstreaming the install.
(Also simplified the task of actually making the Service Pack, remember - no-ones
getting paid for doing this.) As it stands, almost 17 years later worth of fixes,
upgrades, etc, so it's hardly surprizing the install is larger both in terms of
size of data & time to complete install, compared to the original OS install.
That's the way it is, without the ability to directly correct the Source Code
(remember, 98SE is still Closed Source), fixes, upgrades, etc. have to be installed
onto the OS, so again... more size and time than original OS install.
3. You have the choice of using IE5.5 . If you want IE6 and up, with the security
vulnerabilities baggage that IE carries, well that's your choice. Turn your opinion
around - why should other users expose themselves to the security concerns of
IE6 (in particular), instead of passing on it and (feeling more secure) using other
later browsers? As to patching IE6(?), I believe most people on these boards
who have an interest in the SP, regard IE6 (and up) a lot less favourably security
-wise, than yourself.
4. 'Word', for individual users and installers (the 98 SP main audience) - it's fair to
say is viewed as the main part of 'Office'.
5. OK, suggestion is for a continuous appended log.
6. Yep, IE6 (and up), SOL. No shortage of large and small good browsers since 2001
that you can use instead, friend.
7. It's an SP for Windows 98 Second Edition, not for IE6 (and up).
From the documentation/changelog webpage;
"very extensive WindowsT 98SE update pack"
Cheers :smile:

EMPTORXC
0%

2015-03-10 01:18 »

Ref current http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/downloads.htm
Download U98SESP3.EXE

98.7 MB = (103,564,800 bytes)
File version: 3.39.0.0
MD-5: EC247FFB3B3BCC285DB40B4F1112E798
SHA1: BBFFFA180DF4E262BC7ACBD260AE2BB5E73B87E02
CRC-32: 80AF231D

above as checked with HxD ver 1.7.7.0 . :smile:

daman

2015-03-10 02:29 »

Do not think I understood a bit of that.
AGAIN please define CORE!
1. Here yes time is an issue, But truly believe only those who absolutely need 98 use it, so yes the machine is quite slow. But mostly Main/solo installs run it wait for it to load, close help install, then it deletes all but sp3, restarts, run again wait for extraction, install another, deletes reboot and once again. Just mean those that require reboot do not delete everything each time.
2. So I guess SP3.cab is that huge (with 3rd party tools, and no where are KBids noted, maybe better just to do by hand.
3. I NEVER mention IE6 and it is only mention at end of changelog. I know EVERY IE until what 7 is controversial.
But depending on definition of Core, it would appear that, either installing ONLY IE Core or installing IE5.5sp2 Core will disable IE entirely! Why include it? If youre not using why install IEsp2, if you are using it and installing IEsp2 breaks it, why have it there in first place? So IE5.5. AGAIN I never mention IE6 (know better). So that big disclaimer is actually an IE6 haters way of reminding those using IE6 not to install IE5.5sp2? And if you are using IE5.5 or IE5.5sp1 it is ok to install CORE?
4. Fine MS Office means Word in SP3.
5. cool, large list and it will be nice to keep track.
6. Again you might wish to clarify that it only (logically) breaks IE6 and NOT previous versions ;-) (I never brought up 6).
7. I NEVER brought up 6! So I have to look up the KBids see what they do to determine which SP3 is installing and which they are not? Or if it is worthe reading from the huge SP3 cab or not?
243450usa8.exe
263044usa8.exe
241134usa8.exe
243199us8.exe
253711usa8.exe
260067usa8.exe
273017usa8.exe
274370usa8.exe
290831usa8.exe
dun14-se.exe
004756us8.exe
240075up.exe
241084up.exe
242937usa8.exe

Thanks and not complaining or mentionong IE6

daman

2015-03-10 02:46 »

The main and ALL disclaimers are translated as follows?

SAYS:
Core options are for users ONLY, who will not be using Internet Explorer
IF YOU USE INTERNET EXPLORER, DO NOT INSTALL ANY OF THE CORE OPTIONS OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

MEANS?:
IE5 Core options are for IE5 users ONLY, who will not be using Internet Explorer 6
IF YOU USE INTERNET EXPLORER 6, DO NOT INSTALL ANY OF THE IE5 CORE OPTIONS OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

Thanks makes much more sense!

TmEE
VIP

2015-03-10 16:14 »

Core options are for people who have stripped out IE from their system.

One thing I do agree with is the size of SP3.CAB. It takes long time to do anything that involves getting files from SP side, such as networking related things. on my Pentium 1 machine it takes well over 10 minutes to do any network change. On my PIII machine it takes couple minutes and on the C2D machine a minute or so. One time I experimented with unpacking the CAB into individual files and that removed the slowness but caused some other issues around not finding some files, it has been a while though, I don't remember all the details at this point.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2015-03-10 19:23 »

Thanks guy for the feedback. I will add hardware detection in 3.41. Minimum requirements Pentium 3 500 mhz or greater, with 512 mb of ram. Then we won't have any issues with slowness etc... I don't have a computer less than Pentium 3 800 mhz so I can really do anything about it. If your system don't meet the requirements, too bad, fuck ya sorry for ya.

daman

2015-03-10 22:31 »

F me? I can live with that. Sorry to offend! Thought it said feedback here (missed the no honesty note sorry, must be stealth like ie6 hater disclaimer)
REALLY a P3 with 500 mhz and 512? LOL!!!!
Why would anyone in their right minds run 98 on that? Nostalgia? Love of unicorns?
Can you say w2kSP4!? No one should EVER use anything less than w2k!
But there are old workhorses that cannot run w2k!
I even have a similar installer for w2k but never thought of loading the misc/optional toys into the CAB files.
HMMM 98 on a system that supports w2k...Isn't that worse than the IE haters?
They are BOTH abandonware and FREE!!!

Thanks I am perfectly clarified and FUCKING OFF as requested.

Thanks anyway

Steven W
VIP

2015-03-10 22:40 »

HMMM 98 on a system that supports w2k...Isn't that worse than the IE haters?

Hmm.. I'm running 98 SE on a system that came with Win7 on it and removing IE, putting 95's shell on it. I didn't realize that I are a right nutter! :crazy:

Steven W
VIP

2015-03-10 22:52 »