Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.

Z-Balm
0%

2015-09-18 02:48 »

New to Forum - A Few Very Basic Questions

All I really want is a modern browser to run smoothly with 98SE. I've got a multi-
boot computer. Using 98SE on the web is almost impossible because old versions
of Opera, SeaMonkey, etc., are useless.

Discovering KernelEx seemed like a small miracle. IE6_SP1 was dead, and most
browsers compatible with 98SE will not render web pages correctly. I followed
all the advice at MSFN and the KernelEx Wiki. My copy of 98SE is working fine,
but my experience with KernelEx has been awful. I must have tried a dozen apps
dependent on KernelEx. Only one app works without major problems.

I just installed "KernelEx_v4.5.2 Updates for 2015." So, I've got a fully updated
KernelEx. I'm not sure why I keep updating this app, when it hasn't worked very
well with my copy of 98SE.

I downloaded the latest Unofficial Service Pack _v3.48.

With the help of this service pack, will I be able to install and use a modern browser
that will function normally on any website? The number of files updated in 3.48 is
massive. Will KernelEx be redundant after the install?

Because my luck with KernelEx has been so poor, I'm not sure installing the service
pack would help if KernelEx is still required to run a modern browser. Maybe KernelEx
will finally start working like it should, after the service pack install. Do you think that's
possible?

(I've got numerous backups of everything, so nothing can happen that can't be undone.)

Anyway, it would be wonderful to use 98SE again as a fully working operating system!

!
30%

2015-09-18 15:21 »

I hope that PROBLEMCHYLD will be able to answer your questions. On a side note, please don't forget to reply to the email that was sent to you because without verification, your account will die. (Not your posts, however) :mrgreen:

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2015-09-18 15:58 »

@ Z-Balm

The SP will only add some functions to system files that are not present in Windows 9x original files. There are still lots of functions needed to run a modern browser on Win98. Unless someone start patching the Kernel32.dll in Win98, you are pretty much stuck. Sorry, and welcome :wave:

Z-Balm
0%

2015-09-19 08:27 »

I appreciate your replies Non Hic and PROBLEMCHYLD.

I was the perfect candidate (or sucker) for KernelEx.

I built my first primitive computer from a plywood board and a grid of copper nails and transistors.

I started a business with two other guys and Windows 95. All the flaws with 98 were actually a
fun challenge for me! I hacked the Registry to death trying to resolve all the problems. Anyone
using computers in the early days, had to be comfortable with the command line because a
graphical user interface or GUI didn't exist.

I was gradually drifting away from 98SE when I read something about KernelEx. It was like a
powerful drug, I couldn't resist!

MSFN is filled with countless pages proclaiming the success of KernelEx. I don't doubt it's true,
but it never worked for me. I personally know a couple of high level programmers who also
tried and abandoned KernelEx, so I'm not completely alone.

They've asked me to list all my hardware, software, plus Microsoft patches and updates. No,
I won't do that. It's pointless.

When KernelEx wouldn't work I ran a long list of diagnostic apps, hoping to find some major
problem. There was nothing. It just doesn't work. The one app that runs perfectly on my
system with KernelEx is VLC Media Player. It's the only one!

I'm going to install the service pack. Updating this old system is a fantastic idea. I can't
imagine the hours of labor involved to create a safe and successful service pack.

I've got several ways of restoring the system if something goes wrong, so I'm never fearful
about trying something new.

After the service pack install, I'll return this thread.

Thanks guys.

!
30%

2015-09-19 18:23 »

Z-Balm wrote:...I built my first primitive computer from a plywood board and a grid of copper nails and transistors.

I started a business with two other guys and Windows 95. All the flaws with 98 were actually a
fun challenge for me! I hacked the Registry to death trying to resolve all the problems. Anyone
using computers in the early days, had to be comfortable with the command line because a
graphical user interface or GUI didn't exist...

:clap:
Z-Balm wrote: I can't
imagine the hours of labor involved to create a safe and successful service pack.

So true, it's a gigantic task and he does an excellent job! :grin:

My hat is off to both you and PROBLEMCHYLD! :thumbup:

hatsoff.jpg
hatsoff.jpg (3.55 KiB) Viewed 12595 times

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2015-09-19 18:55 »

In October, it will be 4 yrs after being revived from the dead. Gape, the original composer did a great job and left behind a gem. The SP is solid because it has been tested on multiple systems. I keep at least 5 computers in my home. The only thing I really not able to test is AMD. All my comps are intel accept one. And thats the one that have Win 7 on it.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2015-10-13 17:33 »

Coming Soon.........................

Code: Select all

Added 5 Fonts (MSGOTHIC.TTF, MSMINCHO.TTF, PGOTHIC.TTF, PMINCHO.TTF, UIGOTHIC.TTF) Windows XP SP3 Hotfix
Added DELPART.EXE 1.00 (Microsoft NTFS Partition Deleter) Installs with NTFS options
Added PROXYCFG.EXE 5.0.2613.0 MSXML 4.0 SP2 (Windows HTTP Services)
Added WINHTTP5.DLL 5.0.2613.0 MSXML 4.0 SP2 (Windows HTTP Services)
Updated CAPICOM.DLL 2.1.0.2 Windows XP SP3

EMPTORXC
0%

2015-10-29 14:29 »

...and now 3.49 - Yay!!!!!!!!
One thing, I notice the DOWNLOAD PAGE(link) at http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/index.htm
now points back to the TechTalkcc webpage for the U98SESP (as at time of last 6 hours
before this post). No problem, just something I noticed.
I checked my previously saved copies of the htasoft webpages DOWNLOAD PAGE link,
and I find that (current) U98SESP3.49 is actually downloadable from their server at the
old link (which can't be seen on current htasoft webpage as the TechTalkcc link has
replaced the htasoft Download link - I won't mention the old htasoft link as I suppose
there is a reason for the change... ). :wave:
U98SESP3.49 downloaded from TechTalkcc (& U98SESP3.49 I downloaded from htasoft are
both the same, of course) for completeness, here are the details (checked with HXD 1.7.7.0):
U98SESP3.EXE
U98SESP349 (English Version)
113649152 bytes = 108 MB
File Version: 3.49.0.0
MD-5: C896574370AAA5102CC14976FCF0EB82
SHA-1: 87BD5447E7214B1ED99C2D157EDE2EE9C54B4AC2
CRC-32: B65BA259

!
30%

2015-10-29 15:34 »

EMPTORXC wrote:...

Yes, that is correct. A while back, PROBLEMCHYLD was kind enough and decided that the main download will only be from "TechTalk, cold comfort." and not from the htasoft server, hence the removal of the old htasoft download link. Please bear in mind that any and all changes in the original post are 100% authorized by PROBLEMCHYLD and no one else, you can therefore rest assured that whatever changes happen in the original post are all official and authorized by PROBLEMCHYLD. :thumbup: