Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-07-02 20:33 »

The only thing I can see is something in the background maybe a software or hardware driver or something of that nature. I dont have this problem, but I will research it further for you. Thanks

Jakes

2013-07-07 18:44 »

@PROBLEMCHYLD
Thank you for the feedback.
You don't perhaps still have version 3.23 available somewhere? I can then test it with that version to see whether I experience the same problem.
Regards.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-07-08 23:35 »

Sorry I don't have any older versions. Did you clear the file cache? This is the only thing I can think of. :(

Jakes

2013-07-09 20:15 »

Yes, I actually did a clean install and experienced this problem immediately after installing the main updates and restarting the PC.
I'll try again but, I'll install each optional component individually as well.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-07-11 04:50 »

Jakes wrote:@PROBLEMCHYLD

Apologies for the delay. Had a busy weekend.
Performed a clean install of Windows 98 Second Edition.
Installed all drivers and their updates (video, sound, chipset)
Installed DirectX 9.0c.
Installed Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 3.24 (Main Updates only) - no problems

Restarted and launched the Unofficial Service Windows 98SE Service Pack 3.24 again and selected a couple of optional components:

Adaptec ASPI Layer 4.71.2.0
Performance Tweaks
Time Zone Update December 2012
Universal Plug-and-play 4.90.3003.0
Windows Millenium Edition/Windows 2000 Theme

Almost towards the end of the installation, it complained it could find the file EX.TXT in the C:WindowsSystemPrecopy folder.
I had to manually extract the compressed files within the SP3.CAB file from the above folder and just copied it to a C:TEMPSp3 folder
I then had to "direct" the Installer where to find a couple of the subsequent files (I had to "jump" between the C:TempSp3 and the C:WindowsTempIxp000.tmp folder

Although I had to manually "point" where a couple of the files were located, the installation completed successfully.

Hope this helps.
I tried your methods on two different computers, Compaq Armada E500 and Dell Latitude C600 and I didn't witness any issues. I hope we can fix your bugs. As you can see, I have many laptops and none of them have any problems. I will search harder because one enemy is too many and a hundred friends is not enough. See you later friend.

P.S.

I'm back from vacation (2 days early) and got something up my sleeve and need some help. I will dig into this later. Its good to be back familiar :P
Attachments
LAPTOPS.JPG
LAPTOPS.JPG (580.6 KiB) Viewed 7468 times

!
30%

2013-07-11 05:29 »

Those are a LOT of laptops! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Drugwash

2013-07-15 12:10 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Is it fair that out there people literally throw away perfectly functional hardware and here by us some sell similar second-hand hardware for a lot of money?!? What kind of world are we living in and how deep are certain lies we're being shoveled down our throats...? :(

In regard to Jakes' problem, could that be related to a lack of RAM/HDD space? Considering 98SE could be installed on very modest hardware such as the 200MHz CPU with 64MB of RAM I used to run a few years ago, maybe the SP should take such conditions into account and get modularized for a faster and safer decompression/installation. I did raise this question some time ago at MSFN, without much feed-back, IIRC.

Windows does have an API to check the amount of installed RAM and based on that check, the SP installer could warn the user when insufficient amount and even disallow installation or require explicit approval from the user. HDD free space can also easily be checked for; the only problem is how to interact with the installer which at this point doesn't allow much interaction, if any. It would be good to know if Nullsoft Installer 2.44 (apparently creates smaller packages than latest 2.46) runs correctly on a vanilla 98SE, so that we could eventually switch to it instead of Gape's simple installer that is being used now. That is because Nullsoft allows complex scripting which could run the above-mentioned APIs and execute operations based on the results, something that the current installer cannot perform. But well, somebody would have to learn the Nullsoft scripting syntax for that. :roll:

Anyway, welcome back PROBLEMCHYLD! :D

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-07-16 01:36 »

Yes, in the land of the partial free, many here are spoil. I have the money for a brand new laptop, but why buy a new one when my neighbor is going to throw his away and I can get it free? If you ever want one Drugwash, and you know my word is good, I'll give you one. I love the rich people because I am broke compared to them and most of them don't know the meaning, NEWER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER!

Jakes

2013-07-16 17:42 »

@Drugwash
Don't think it's a RAM or HDD problem.
Have a 900MHz Celeron CPU with 128mb RAM and a 10GB HDD (with 6.9GB still free). However, I could try installing a bit more RAM to see whether that doesn't perhaps solve the problem?

Speaking of old hardware. I've also collected some old hardware over the years, since I still like to play older games which doesn't run that well anymore on Windows 7 (or XP for that matter).
I found it easier to just build up an actual 486 100MHz machine to run my pre-1996 games on than a virtual machine running with an emulator.
Don't get me wrong, some of these emulators do a pretty good job but, they sometimes require a lot of tweaking and adjustments until you get it to work right.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-07-19 03:01 »

@ Drugwash

I didn't ignore your post about using another installer. The thing was, I was unemployed and had a lot of time on my hands. I had learned the Microsoft Installer and commands which took me a long time to grasp. Since the Win98 scene was slowly dying on MSFN and the feedback was limited, I decided to go the MS route since MDGx had a full tutorial on how to package. If you look in the root of the SP, you'll see I use (ALL) Microsoft tools except for Resource Hacker, which is the only non MS tool and is needed for patching icons. Right now, I'm back at work and don't have that extra time, but I can continue to work on projects I have already worked on since it doesn't require a tremendous amount of time.

@ Jakes

I'm still trying to reproduce your bug ;)