Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
Steven W
VIP

2014-09-21 23:55 »

The ability to save and restore the icon layout in the right-click context menu is a cool idea! :thumbup:

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-09-24 22:21 »

I read the whole SP topic at MSFN some time ago. It was one of the features someone asked Gape to add. I pretty much added everything he didn't and made it optional.

Walt43

2014-09-24 23:06 »

Non Hic wrote:@Walt43,
I think most of your points were toward the hard work of PROBLEMCHYLD and these posts would have been better in his Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition Service Pack.... He has done an excellent job and I hope that history will remember him and his work! :mrgreen: Anyway, thank you very much for your kind wordsWelcome aboard! :grin: :relaxed:

------------------------
OK. It is worth a "Reposting for betterness".
------------------------
Walt43 wrote:Hi. I am so happy to have found your site and your work. I have been going in circles beginning with Mdgx, MSFN an such. At first I was spooked as my entry was into page 27, 28, 29 and 30. But I found your page 1. There I started an now have read every post to date, after all your guides I could find, all this evening. I'm now tired, but grateful to you all, even the Hic guy.
I admire your organizations, your intent for your audience and your passion for your work.
I have a few comments, (observations). I very much appreciate Hic man, because he is suffering the dial modem, (my past favorite), and he can aptly defend the poor who both use and appreciate the W98 hey-day, as I do.
You guys must keep in mind and never forget, you are restoring and providing what Bill Gates refused to do. The finished work of the Win98SE package which every buyer paid money for, but did not get. Nothing Bill Gates ever put out, worked. It takes every correction put out by his firm to complete W98.
You guys are the computer publics' revenge and justifier.
Now, Ahm gonna go register.
Thank you.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-09-25 12:29 »

Are you asking something?

Gakman

2014-09-28 21:51 »

Amazing pack ! :thumbup:
Thank you for your work.

I'm making a brand new fresh install of Win98se, what do you recommand me to add?
I install Win98se, my drivers, IE6, DX9c, and after Unofficial SP 3.35. But I'd ike to update with next versions of Unofficial SP, so could I add some others stuffs? Has 98SE2ME interest and if I install it, could I after update with new Unofficial SP?

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-10-06 22:34 »

Its really up to you what is needed and not needed. This is you have options.

98 Guy

2014-10-16 02:00 »

> I'm making a brand new fresh install of Win98se, what do you recommand me to add?

I recommend the 4gb ram patch. Run windows 98 with lots of RAM!

Look in the usenet newsgroup microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion. Look there for the links to the ram patch. If you don't see - ASK! (by posting your request there).

I didn't notice if you installed KernelEx. It is an absolute necessity for running win-98 today.

!
30%

2014-10-16 02:33 »

98 Guy wrote:...I recommend the 4gb ram patch. Run windows 98 with lots of RAM!...

@Gakman,

This "98 Guy" is a cheap bastard it seems. He goes out of his way to make sure people don't pay for this patch.

You can buy that patch LEGALLY for $20 or so. I recommend you to buy the patch rather than getting it as warez. Although, bear in mind that I think the guy who made and sells the patch, too, is one big fat idiot.

We were going to offer that patch for free to our users, with a special deal. We would pay the patch maker and he would provide the patch for our users for free each time a user requested to buy it but things didn't work out too well.

I personally started to disliking him so I put a stop to that deal.

Basically, both of them are morons in my opinion.

Double edged sword. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol:

For the sake of your soul, I would pay the two dollars rather than doing warez, however.

But hey, that's just me. :relaxed:

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-10-29 07:59 »

Steven W wrote:The ability to save and restore the icon layout in the right-click context menu is a cool idea! :thumbup:
I wonder how many people will read the Chm help file. I had figured this out through trial and error. When ever you add a new icon to the desktop or delete a icon from the desktop, you must save a new layout so the registry is updated.

2014-10-31 01:36 »

It's been a while since I've been here, but 3.33 is still working fine and meeting my needs. I very much appreciate the effort that went into the service pack(s) and what it takes to keep this forum running. I just downloaded 3.35 and will be installing it shortly. The instructions are clear & easy to follow. The help files are equally clear. This is a blessing for those of us who refrain from giving Mr. Gates any more $. (IMO) An OS should have a life span of decades, not years.

Far to many stupid posts for not having read the instruction... idiots not able to figure out how or where to post... and way to few showing appreciation for all the effort that goes into the sp's and the running of a forum...

Thank you! :clap: