Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
!
30%

2016-03-28 02:19 »

Windows2000User wrote:...and continue to host the site? If not, if I ever get my server working, I'd be glad to host it for you...

Thank you for the hosting offer. The "Tech talk, cold comfort." forums will be alive, even if PROBLEMCHYLD stops developing this project. As will all the files we currently host, nothing will get deleted or changed, so, no worries! :thumbup:

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2016-03-28 04:35 »

I'm not leaving the forum, just trying something different. I will fix all bugs that are reported. No worries.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2016-03-29 06:12 »

I can probably play with the SP a while longer because Slackware 14.2 is only @ RC1. I have decided the laptops I'll be getting. Dell Inspiron core i3 3542. I will be buying two of them. Its mandatory I keep a back up of everything. I love the way they look. It will be non touchscreen. I hate that shit, is why I have a tablet.

!
30%

2016-03-30 03:48 »

You know, that's a good point there. I have a backup of everything but on a separate HDD drive. If my PC dies on me, I'm kind'a shit out of luck. I probably should get a laptop too. :think: A cheap one though, my budget is zero. hahahhaa... :mrgreen:

Windows2000User

2016-04-01 00:38 »

And one more thing: Would you know to change the icons from W2K/ME BACK to 98? I tried changing them with an older explorer and even replacing Explorer.exe and Shell32.dll themselves, to no avail. Even though I took them from a Core Updated Win98SE and replaced them in this install, it still came up with W2K/ME icons. .-.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again, and I need to do backups too. But I'd need to take my external HDD off my router (slow. as. f***. But somehow I learned to cope with it.) And the backup would take hours and I just don't have that patience in computers, despite my rather low tolerance rate for slowness in computers. So ya.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2016-04-01 00:56 »

Reinstall main updates and your icons will return to default.

!
30%

2016-04-01 02:24 »

Windows2000User wrote:...(slow. as. f***...

You don't have to self-censor! You can say FUCK in here all the fucking time as much as you like! :clap: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

4js

2016-04-01 18:17 »

good to know

7k4a8hw2.jpg
7k4a8hw2.jpg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 6302 times

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160401/7k4a8hw2.jpg

!
30%

2016-04-01 18:30 »

4js wrote:...

Hahahhaha... funny picture! :clap: :mrgreen:

Just a side note, please don't kill me for going a little off topic here, you can and should use our attachment function to attach pictures to your posts. You don't have to upload to a third party service because:

1. Third party links tend to "die" after a period of time.
2. We use SSL so why make another third party see your traffic and create yet another middle man to spam you?

I personally use a FireFox addon called "RequestPolicy Continued" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -continued) to prevent third party crap to load when I visit Web sites.

https://requestpolicycontinued.github.io/

This makes it more secure as I get to choose which third party I want to allow to load or not.

Anyway, when you use an upload service such as directupload.net which you used, not only the link might die, it also creates a clickable image which our users might click on, it basically spams their Web site in here. We allow attachments for exactly these reasons, so you never have to use a third party upload service.

This is what I see with "RequestPolicy Continued" activated:

1.PNG
1.PNG (4.56 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

request policy.png
request policy.png (139.46 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

...as you can see, I did NOT see your image because it was not originating from techtalk.cc Web site.

I have edited your post and added the picture to it for you, however. This was just a note for future and hopefully for other visitors to know. :smile: :thumbup:

Thanks!

Windows2000User

2016-04-01 23:52 »

Thanks again Problemchyld. I have so much (I can swear now) fucking respect for this shit, that I feel like I might start something like this for Windows 7 or 8.1 when they die. Since so many people will do 7, I might as well do 8.1 because to me with some modification, it's not a bad OS, just as good as Windows 7. Also, I'm learning batch for this kinda thing, update rollups, so that I can have stuff like this stored on my external hard drive and connect machines via the network to it. XP and 2000 connect fine, 9x and NT4, as far as I know, don't, so manual file copy via XP and 2k will be needed for these things .-. Just to show I know, I'm gonna post below a generic update batch script. So thanks for all the help and I'll be back if I have future issues or suggestions.

@echo off
echo __________________________________
echo Windows 2000 Updater V1
echo This script will update Windows 2000 by installing all the updates I could gather.
echo This will take time, please refrain from using this PC until the message, "Almost done, your PC
echo will restart shortly" comes up. Thanks again for using.
pause
run UpdatesKB1 /passive /norestart
(Continued for a while, the last update without the norestart switch)
cls
echo Windows 2000 Updater V1
echo Almost done, your PC will restart shortly.

Feel free to use the above script and modify it to what you want. I made it open source now :3
Thanks again, and bye