Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
Drugwash

2013-04-16 02:17 »

I'm still at the Viewer part of it; documentation is almost nonexistant and some things are unclear. After that, I'll see how actual editing can be implemented, because I fear I'll have to use something I'm not familiar with and which may or may not be used with AHK. I've reused most code from a 32-bit editor I'm trying to build (sort of ResHacker replacement) and stumbled into same issue there too.

But we'll see when I get there. Just don't hold your breath. :D

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-04-16 02:23 »

There is no rush. I'm actually glad we fixed that bug because, users that have USB mice and keyboards can benefit from this as well. I just need to find a way to remove USB drivers with some type of file/script/batch etc....

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-16 07:35 »

Please disregard the following quote. It is for historical reference only.

ARCHIVE BEGIN:
PROBLEMCHYLD ┬╗ Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:10 pm wrote:Coming Soon......................................... :P :mrgreen:

ARCHIVE END.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-04-21 15:50 »

Updated :P 8-)

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-21 16:42 »

Stamped a new text on it: "Updated Apr 21, 2013".
:)

Drugwash

2013-04-21 19:45 »

PROBLEMCHYLD wrote:There is no rush. I'm actually glad we fixed that bug because, users that have USB mice and keyboards can benefit from this as well. I just need to find a way to remove USB drivers with some type of file/script/batch etc....

Only the registry keys need to be removed, if I'm not mistaken. That can be done, but with extreme care not to accidentally touch other drivers. I assume removal should take place after SP installation and right before reboot, but some testing would be necessary to make sure machine doesn't become inoperable should anything interrupt the reboot process.
Biggest problem for me is I have no USB keyboard to test with, but only one USB mouse. To make this efficient, we need to work with CLASS and SUBCLASS (possibly PROT too), not VID/PID or VEN/DEV, because that would complicate things way too much and there would always be room for failure.

Please run [url="http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/10/20/3358834/apps/HDDB/HDDB0007.7z"]this utility[/url] (it will require a database update over internet but it will use the internal one if not allowed), select USB in lower-left list, select USB Human Interface Device(s) in lower-right list and look in the list at the top for the line with Key name CompatibleIDs - it will show the CLASS, SUBCLASS and PROT for the selected item. Way below you'll see manufacturer/product detalis, if they are in the database, right after VID and PID fields. I would need the CLASS, SUBCLASS and PROT values for USB keyboards and mice, to make sure they're the right ones. Then, I could make a small tool that loops through registry keys and deletes only the desired ones. If you would switch over to the NSIS installer, you could instruct it to do it upon exit, I believe, but I'm not familiar with its scripting syntax. Anyway, that's not the main point now.

If you feel comfortable with it, please feel free to contact me directly on e-mail or IM in Yahoo, ICQ or AIM - lack of notifications makes me forget this place right away.

(What the heck is wrong with the URL command????)

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-21 21:14 »

Drugwash wrote:...[url="http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/10/20/3358834/apps/HDDB/HDDB0007.7z"]this utility[/url]...
(What the heck is wrong with the URL command????)[/i]

You need to lose the quote characters, only [url=<url here directly without quotes>]...

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-04-21 22:33 »

Drugwash wrote:Only the registry keys need to be removed, if I'm not mistaken.
The .SYS files needs to be deleted also. One will either have to use Microsoft drivers or their manufacturer drivers. You can't use both. I would guess this is why Tihiy and maximus-decim says remove all drivers/controllers etc....

Drugwash

2013-04-24 12:35 »

Fool's design wrote:
Drugwash wrote:...[url="http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/10/20/3358834/apps/HDDB/HDDB0007.7z"]this utility[/url]...

You need to lose the quote characters, only [url=<url here directly without quotes>]...

The only thing I hadn't tried at the time... :( Wasn't there a standard for those things? When I look just above while typing this, the quote sequence uses double quotes for all tags - why the double standards, it's confusing?! Maybe I'm getting too old for this. :(

Anyway, could you please do it for me, seeing that one can't edit their previous posts? Thank you.
I'll try again here though, just to make sure. Download [url=http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/10/20/3358834/apps/HDDB/HDDB0007.7z]HDDB 0.0.0.7[/url] ... and here's a sample of a fool's design: it doesn't work, even without quotes. :evil:

PROBLEMCHYLD wrote:The .SYS files needs to be deleted also. One will either have to use Microsoft drivers or their manufacturer drivers. You can't use both. I would guess this is why Tihiy and maximus-decim says remove all drivers/controllers etc....
I'll have to test and see if the actual driver files are being deleted when devices are removed from Device Manager. Maybe only the inf files should be removed (or, better, backed up somewhere along with the pertaining driver files - sys, vxd, etc), since the driver files (sys or whatever) wouldn't be loaded unless they're being referenced to in inf/registry. And overwriting them shouldn't be a problem either.

It would be very easy for me to delete all the subkeys under USB and USBSTOR, but there may be other USB devices installed that have no truck with the hubs. One problem though would be combo devices such as printer + scanner (as my Lexmark X1130/X1150) which spawns its own hub; if I were to delete all the hub subkeys, the printer may malfunction when the hub is redetected and given a different subkey name.

Therefore removing USB subkeys programmatically may not be an easy task, if we wanna do it by the book. I'll have to poke around deeper.

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-24 13:31 »

Drugwash wrote:
Fool's design wrote:

The only thing I hadn't tried at the time... :( Wasn't there a standard for those things? When I look just above while typing this, the quote sequence uses double quotes for all tags - why the double standards, it's confusing?! Maybe I'm getting too old for this. :(

Anyway, could you please do it for me, seeing that one can't edit their previous posts? Thank you.
I'll try again here though, just to make sure. Download [url=http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/10/20/3358834/apps/HDDB/HDDB0007.7z]HDDB 0.0.0.7[/url] ... and here's a sample of a fool's design: it doesn't work, even without quotes. :evil:...

Haha! It IS INDEED foolishly designed! :lol:

Odd that your URL doesn't work when you do it! It works when we paste the very same text you typed: HDDB 0.0.0.7 *lol* :? Not sure why but you could use the "Preview" button before hitting "Submit" in order to test and see what exactly is the issue. Very very odd though.

We cannot edit your old post, however, because we cannot "change the past" due to our forums rules but it shouldn't be much of a problem in this case because the URL is visible and usable.