Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
MeWin

2013-06-12 02:57 »

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Thank you very very much! I wish to possess the same talent and burning passion of yours. I'm very pleased with the current progression of Win98SE. Enjoy your vacation you deserve it! :)

@Fool's Design

Thank you for the kind words! And Admin you've given PROBLEMCHYLD a lot of support I'm proud of you, thank you!

Jakes

2013-06-26 13:41 »

Thank you for keeping this service pack up to date.
I have an old Celeron 900 Mhz with 128mb RAM, Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X motherboard (VIA Chipset) with Radeon 8500.
Did a clean install of Windows 98SE
Then installed VIA Chipset drivers and updated my graphics drivers.
Proceeded then to install Unofficial Windows 98 Sectiond Edition Service Pack 3.24.
Selected the following components to install:
Main Updates
Adaptec ASPI Layer 4.71.2.0
Performance Tweaks
Time Zone Update December 2012
Universal Plug-and-play 4.90.3003.0
Windows Millenium Edition/Windows 2000 Theme

The Main Updates seems to install correctly.

However, halfway through the installation process, a window pops up with the following message:
The file "RESHACK.EXE" on (Unknown) cannot be found.
If I browse for the file under the C:WindowsTemp"subfolder" (where the files were extracted), then it continues.

I received a similar error that it also cannot find the file "TOUCH.EXE". However, if I manually browse for it, then it continues.

After restaring Windows, upon startup the first time, I also receive the following error:
An error occurred loading "C:WindowsSystemUPNP.DLL". The file may not have been installed or it is has been corrupted.
I checked and this DLL file is in the System folder.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

PS: Is it possible to download previous versions of your Service Pack 3 files?

Fool's design
3%

2013-06-26 16:47 »

Jakes wrote:...PS: Is it possible to download previous versions of your Service Pack 3 files?

While you are awaiting PROBLEMCHYLD to answer your installation questions, it is a good idea to have maybe at least 4 versions back in time. We do not have access to older versions but will do this in our mirror over here at foolsdesign.org from now on and will keep 4 versions back in time, starting from the current version and forward.

Jakes

2013-06-26 19:53 »

@ Fool's Design.
Totally agree on keeping previous versions. I actually had version 3.23 but, accidentally deleted it.
Was hoping that someone might have a copy still somewhere.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-06-26 20:05 »

@ jakes, you need to install Main updates separately and reboot. Then install the other options. you need to also install MDAC 2.8 SP1 separately as well. Hope you get it working. I will post proper instructions later. I have been washing clothes getting ready to pack for my vacation. I will still be able to chat with you guys every now and then until I get back.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-06-26 20:22 »

Hey mods, when you have some time can you post these instructions on the 1st page and then delete this post, please and thank you. Add some bold and color to the list of instructions so that it stands out. Thanks again :P

Instructions:

Prerequisites:

Minimum 64 MB of RAM for Main Updates.
160 MB free hard disk space for (ALL) options.

Installation Guide: * = Optional.

[1] Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
[2] Install all drivers for your hardware.
[3] Install Internet Explorer (any version).*
[4] Install latest DirectX 9c.*
[5] Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).*
[6] Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
[7] Install MS Office.*
[8] Install KernelEx, 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack.*

Fool's design
3%

2013-06-26 22:16 »

We don't delete posts that easy 8-) ;) but your instructions are now on first page post, with bold and some colors. :D

Ps. Added a version as well. :!:

Jakes

2013-06-27 20:10 »

@PROBLEMCHYLD.
Thanks for the feedback and all your efforts.

I've made a note for future reference to follow the correct procedure as you pointed out below.
I'm sure it will work.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-06-29 15:43 »

Can you please confirm whether or not the instructions that were listed worked for you or not?

Jakes

2013-06-30 19:52 »

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Apologies for the delay. Had a busy weekend.
Performed a clean install of Windows 98 Second Edition.
Installed all drivers and their updates (video, sound, chipset)
Installed DirectX 9.0c.
Installed Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 3.24 (Main Updates only) - no problems

Restarted and launched the Unofficial Service Windows 98SE Service Pack 3.24 again and selected a couple of optional components:

Adaptec ASPI Layer 4.71.2.0
Performance Tweaks
Time Zone Update December 2012
Universal Plug-and-play 4.90.3003.0
Windows Millenium Edition/Windows 2000 Theme

Almost towards the end of the installation, it complained it could find the file EX.TXT in the C:WindowsSystemPrecopy folder.
I had to manually extract the compressed files within the SP3.CAB file from the above folder and just copied it to a C:TEMPSp3 folder
I then had to "direct" the Installer where to find a couple of the subsequent files (I had to "jump" between the C:TempSp3 and the C:WindowsTempIxp000.tmp folder

Although I had to manually "point" where a couple of the files were located, the installation completed successfully.

Hope this helps.