Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
Steven W
VIP

2023-05-04 06:33 »

Steven W wrote:
2020-10-10 00:37
Regarding PDFCreator: I think the more-modern iterations suck.
Steven W wrote:
2020-10-10 00:53
Eh, it looks as though they removed the installers for the older version from sourceforge:

I think 1.62 is the newest I use.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/pdfcreator/
The WebArchive rules:

Last Version that I know was compatible with 98SE:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130421185 ... _setup.exe

Apparently, I can't attach the file, the site's security not liking it?

I do recall, you had to uncheck a box during install...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDFCreator
Adware toolbar controversy
Between 2009 and 2013 the installation package included a closed-source browser toolbar that was considered by many users to be malicious software. Although technically an optional component, the opt-out procedure used to be a two-step process (prior to version 1.2.3), which was considered by many to be intentionally confusing.[15] In addition to the spyware activity described below, the toolbar allowed one-click creation of PDFs from the current webpage and included a search tool. As of version 1.2.3, the opt-out procedure only required unchecking one checkbox during the installation process.[16]
I will double-check that I'm correct about version 1.6.2 and if I am I will upload...

Steven W
VIP

2023-05-04 06:37 »

Apparently that 'adware toolbar' does get flagged by some security software... If you do download and install... Make sure you're unticking that box... I may not 'be uploading' a newer version, perhaps just another link...

Steven W
VIP

2023-05-04 06:44 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDFCreator
16. "PDFCreator 1.2.3 installation screenshot". Archived from the original on July 16, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
https://archive.ph/20120716053952/http: ... optout.png

Maybe it was two checkboxes to untick. Sorry, guy:
74898137d3144139b06e60938f06c787c9f849c2.png
74898137d3144139b06e60938f06c787c9f849c2.png (25.88 KiB) Viewed 15634 times

Steven W
VIP

2023-05-06 04:29 »

I'm taking a brief look at WordWright word processor I linked previously. Specifically the RTF that it spews out. This comes from a test document I made:

Code: Select all

\trowd\trgaph70\trleft-70 \
I doubt very seriously that the maker of the software intended trleft to have a negative value. I think the intention was for that to be 70. Now I don't know if '-70' is hardcoded or if there's some sort of fancy paper-size-to-something going on, but whatevs...Of course there's also how that is handled in whatever DOC format it spews too..

I'm guessing the idea was to NOT run tables right up to the margins (to sorta indent them...on both sides [If that makes sense]). I note that even changing that value to 70, doesn't exactly 'center' the table, but it is close. You'd probably not notice with the naked eye, especially on a sheet of paper.

:think:

Steven W
VIP

2023-05-07 08:55 »

http://web.archive.org/web/199904280203 ... xicons.htm

More dictionaries for other languages + Medical/Legal terms for CWordPad and other Cetus softs?
One useful feature that the Cetus Software word processing applications provide is the ability to check for the correct spelling of words in documents. However, CWordPad, CNotePad, and FloppyWord are provided only with a set of American English spell checking lexicon files by default, which is less than fully helpful for a British English user, and of no help at all for any user not writing in English. Because of this, and in order to make our text applications more helpful for a larger number of users, we are providing some additional lexicon file sets for downloading. Each lexicon file set includes an installation program, though each may also be installed manually; directions for manually changing the lexicon language are provided further below (please scroll down), as well as in a text file included with each set of lexicon files.
MANUAL INSTALLATION OF SPELL CHECKER LEXICON (DICTIONARY) FILES

If you do not wish to use the supplied setup program, and want to manually install a set of Cetus Software lexicon files instead, please follow these directions:

First, make certain that your Cetus application is properly installed using one set of lexicon files, such as the default American English set that was supplied with your Cetus application, before proceeding any further.
Unzip the new lexicon file package in a separate directory ("folder"), one that does not contain any other files.
If you wish to save your older lexicon files, open up Explorer to the Windows System directory (typically something such as C:\Windows\System), find the older lexicon files (those with the extensions .tlx or .clx), and either rename them, or move them to an archive directory.
Using Explorer, copy (or move) all of the new unzipped lexicon files (those with the extensions .tlx or .clx) to the Windows System directory, either overwriting or replacing the older lexicon files.
In Explorer, find the new unzipped lexicon Registry file (the file with the extension .reg) that was supplied with the new lexicon files. Double-click on it (or right-click on it, and select Merge from the popup menu), and you should receive a Windows message saying that the information in the file has been successfully merged into the Registry.
If you wish to keep the Registry file (the file with the extension .reg) together with the new lexicon files (recommended), you should consider using Explorer to copy or move it to the Windows System directory with them.

At this point, you should be able to start up your Cetus Software word processing application(s) and find that spell checking is now accomplished using the language of the new lexicon files that you just installed. If you have questions, support (in English only !!!) is available from Cetus Software Inc.

"Ann Owed too the Spelling Checker" (buy Hen Rewards Worth Long Fellow)

Eye halve a spelling checker. It came width my pea see.
It plain lee Marx, four mire revue, miss steaks aye kin knot sea.
Iran this poem threw it, your shore reel pleas tonneau.
Its vary polished inn it's weigh. (My checker tolled me sew.)
It rue lee is a bless sing, it freeze up lodes off thyme;
It helps me right awl stiles two reed, an aides me win aye rime.
Itch frays come posed up on my screen eye trussed wheel bee a Joule.
The checker pours oar ever reward two Czech sum spelling rue will.
Bee for a veiling checkers, hour spilling mite decline,
An if wear lacks ore halve a laps, wee wood bee maid too wine.
Butt now bee caws mice spelling is checked wit such grate flare,
Their hour know faults with inn my cite. (Well, off nun eye am a wear.)
Gnarl spelling does naught phase me, it DOS knot bringer tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den with wrapped words fare too here.
Two rite with care is quiet effete off witch won shooed bee prowled,
Soul wee mussed dew thee best wee ken, cause floss are knoll long era loud.
Thus icon say why idle prays such soft wear fore pea seize,
And why eye brake in two averse, my right tin shore tool pleas.
And soul eye hope Yule all sew bye a checker four yore yews;
Sow win ware right ten beckon fourth, weaken mind hour peas an cues.
I have no idea why, but Cetus seems to have made them disappear around the year 2000. Perhaps they were broken in some way.

Anyhow, I'll upload here, maybe some of you can test...
lexme.zip
Medical Terms
(126.7 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
lexle.zip
Legal Terms
(91.74 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
lexsw.zip
Swedish
(186.12 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
lexsp.zip
Spanish
(344.96 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
lexnb.zip
Norwegian (Bokmal)
(247.07 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
lexit.zip
Italian for Mario and Luigi
(372.98 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
lexge.zip
German
(454.34 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
lexfr.zip
French, Oui, Oui
(186.46 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
lexfi.zip
Finnish
(686.27 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
lexda.zip
Danish
(199.23 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
lexdu.zip
Dutch
(353.17 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
lexbr.zip
Portuguese (Brazilian)
(252.78 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Steven W
VIP

2023-08-16 03:16 »

Steven W wrote:
2023-05-06 04:29
I'm taking a brief look at WordWright word processor I linked previously. Specifically the RTF that it spews out. This comes from a test document I made:

Code: Select all

\trowd\trgaph70\trleft-70 \
I doubt very seriously that the maker of the software intended trleft to have a negative value. I think the intention was for that to be 70. Now I don't know if '-70' is hardcoded or if there's some sort of fancy paper-size-to-something going on, but whatevs...Of course there's also how that is handled in whatever DOC format it spews too..

I'm guessing the idea was to NOT run tables right up to the margins (to sorta indent them...on both sides [If that makes sense]). I note that even changing that value to 70, doesn't exactly 'center' the table, but it is close. You'd probably not notice with the naked eye, especially on a sheet of paper.

:think:
Apparently, I am full of shit. Tables going just a bit left and/or right of margins was fairly common practice...

Steven W
VIP

2023-09-13 01:53 »

http://www.malsmith.net/wincvt/
WinCvt

Overview

WinCvt is a suite designed to assist in interaction with Windows converters. Windows converters (also referred to as office converters) are the .cvt files which allow one application to open or save files from a completely foreign format. WinCvt consists of a shared DLL for writing applications which use converters, documentation, a converter wizard, command line conversion, converter installer, file type detector and converter interrogator.
I'll discuss this one and its use with other programs sometime later.

Steven W
VIP

2023-09-25 00:02 »

Not entirely off-topic, old software, yada, yada:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/397729/ ... ve-up.html

The articles is from 2019, but still...
Last week I received an email notice from Microsoft informing me that, as of January 14, 2020, they will no longer support Windows 7, which I still have on one of my desktop computers. Why? Because I have some legacy software that is incompatible with Windows 8 and 10: dBase III+, Paint Shop Pro 7, PageMaker, several graphics programs and plugins—one is the first version of Andromeda, which offers some amazing graphic effects—and a few other applications that were originally DOS-based.
Here are six programs I found that people just won’t quit.
The list:

Office 2003 (imagine my lack of shock).

Corel Draw! and PaintShop Pro, specifically Paintshop pro versions 5 and 7 (imagine my lack of shock).

I can't say I'm entirely surprised the next two are on a list, but the fact that they rise to make it even to a top ten does kinda surprise me:

dBase III+ and Lotus 1-2-3
The reasons provided by most of the individuals I asked are:

Familiarity with the software
Easier to configure and customize
Uses less system resources (memory, disk space, virtual, etc.) and therefore, processes faster
The macros and programming are modeled after the actual commands.
For example, in Lotus, /FS is the command equivalent to File > Save, and the macro command for File > Save. You can easily write macros in Lotus if you know the menu commands, no programming experience needed—and all the menu commands are right there on the screen. Lotus also has a macro recorder, which placed the macro in an “out-of-the-way location” on the same spreadsheet to simplify editing.

Macros in Excel are not so easy. You can use the macro recorder for the basic stuff, but you must know Visual Basic to do anything complex or to even edit the macro. This is no problem for programmers, but everyday users just want the software to work without the hassle of learning a programming language.

Note: While researching information for this article, I recently learned that you can configure dBase III+ to work on the 32-bit versions of Windows 8 and 10 by making a few adjustments through the Control Panel and Command Prompt.
Regarding Lotus, 1-2-3, perhaps if I were just a tad older and had become accustomed to entering formalas in the manner Lotus accepts them, maybe I wouldn't be surpised. I have to admit also that having something simplier than VB macros sounds nice. I did, on a few occasions, use WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3 way back when, but got a lot more time in with MS Works during that time.

I think that I've mentioned Truis Inc, giving away their really old versions of Lotus 1-2-3 work-alikes (not so sure I would go as far as 'clones'). And '!', I swear to you this is the company that made and sold these products, they absolutely have the right to give them away...

DOS Version: http://www.triusinc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10

Windows Version: http://www.triusinc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9

Obviously, I haven't looked at these thoroughly, but did install them and took a minor peek. They're not my cup of tea, for the reasons I mentioned above. Also, note that Truis DOES NOT provide support for these things anymore. There may be some issues getting either of them to run on newer Windows.

Steven W
VIP

2023-10-05 01:54 »

Speaking of As-Easy-As for DOS:

Steven W
VIP

2023-10-05 01:59 »