Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
!
30%

2014-06-03 02:48 »

98 Guy wrote:...PS: has any of these efforts here in this thread, the accomplishments, etc, been recognized or mentioned over at msfn? Because I don't see it, and it's a big hole in their knowledge base over there in terms of the win-98 community know nothing about this. Not that I particularly care, but I just wonder how this is going to play out. The politics will be somewhat entertaining.

I think it is better, to keep your own thread clean and to get the most exposure to MSFN users (we know that they are watching that thread) please take the MSFN talk to The fools of MSFN forums. (This of course, is only a suggestion. You can and may continue it right here too if you wish.)

As for the other technical questions, RFMaster is the master of those. I'm sure he will answer them for you soon. :ugeek:

RFMaster

2014-06-03 08:49 »

98 Guy wrote:I've still got the original German files on this system, and the only time I've seen anything printed in German was during a blue-screen error. And I'll tell ya - if that's the only place that I'd ever see any German-language text showing up, then I honestly don't see much benefit in getting the english-language vxd files working.

Do you know it's illegal to possess files the MS commercial Operating System if you do not have a license for it? You can be accused of piracy!
Each different version of MS commercial Operating System requires a separated Licence.

I have legally purchased several versions Win98, 98SE including English, German and Russian versions. So that's why i can have this without negative consequences...

My patcher DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OF MS FILES!

And therefore can be used without any problems...

98 Guy wrote:The requirement for ServicePack 3. What specific component or file (or files) is necessary so that only that file (or those files) can be transplanted into a system before the patch is run?
Q288430

RFMaster

2014-06-03 09:01 »

I forgot to mention, if you use German patched files you must remove "Accessories" from your system to get rid of this annoying message at startup.

This problem does not exist if you use my patcher...

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-06-03 11:18 »

98 Guy wrote:PS: has any of these efforts here in this thread, the accomplishments, etc, been recognized or mentioned over at msfn? Because I don't see it, and it's a big hole in their knowledge base over there in terms of the win-98 community know nothing about this. Not that I particularly care, but I just wonder how this is going to play out. The politics will be somewhat entertaining.

Anytime we have a breakthrough, there is no need to go to MSFN and report it, especially if its just going to get deleted. Google is doing the reporting for us. A simple search will lead them here if they wanna be here. :eek:

Thanks RFMaster, we do really appreciate the patch. I also added in a batch file to only install VMM.VXD if it detects laptops. Will the patch still work if no laptop is detected?

RFMaster

2014-06-03 12:29 »

PROBLEMCHYLD wrote:
98 Guy wrote:I also added in a batch file to only install VMM.VXD if it detects laptops. Will the patch still work if no laptop is detected?

When you did this? Why? :?: If vmm.vxd is not installed it will not work.

In this case i have to add some code to extract vmm.vxd from vmm32.vxd if vmm.vxd is not installed...

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-06-03 12:42 »

I just added it now. VMM.VXD is only for Laptops, so if one is not using a Laptop, then the file is not needed or am I wrong.

IMHO,

If your Memory Patch consist of the following, you might want to consider it final

Patching VMM32.VXD original or any system VMM32.VXD version
Patching VCACHE.VXD 4.10.2222 original file
If VCACHE.VXD 4.10.2223 exist skip patching for this file (no need for patching if already patched) avoid redundancy
If exist VMM.VXD 4.10.2226 original Patch file
If not exist VMM.VXD 4.10.2226 skip patching for this file
Once files are patched, give them new version numbers 4.10.2222 > 4.10.2223, 4.10.2226 > 4.10.2227

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-06-03 12:43 »

I can remove the line if need to.

RFMaster

2014-06-03 13:35 »

PROBLEMCHYLD wrote:I can remove the line if need to.

Don't worry, i will update my patcher.

So... People, in the meantime, while waiting for the new patcher if my patcher shows you this message

sperrmsg.png
sperrmsg.png (15.08 KiB) Viewed 5083 times

Download and install this shit ->REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Hyperlink. DUTCH LAW DOES NOT ALLOW HYPERLINKING TO WAREZ MATERIAL. and then try again.

REMOVED BY MODERATOR: File. DUTCH LAW DOES NOT ALLOW HYPERLINKING TO WAREZ MATERIAL.

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2014-06-03 14:04 »

I wasn't trying to make things difficult

But your patch should cover all angles, the reason not everyone uses the SP. So if you cover all bases, then we have a grand slam

Patch Original VMM.VXD 4.10.2222 and 4.10.2226
Patch Original VCACHE.VXD 4.10.2222 and 4.10.2223 skip patched version if detected
Patch Original VMM32.VXD and any system VMM32.VXD
add newer version after file has been patched.

I, user.

2014-06-03 14:24 »

Seriously, you guys rock! :clap: :thumbup: :grin: