Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
!
30%

2013-08-27 15:11 »

CharlotteTheHarlot, it's your time to shine! They stole your idea! hehehhe... :D

Break Microsoft up.

Whoever replaces Steve Ballmer at Microsoft needs to break up the company.

Can Microsoft change? Or should it split up?.

Is Ballmer's retirement a prelude to a Microsoft split-up?.

Tom Worstall writes in Forbes that the that the only way to get around the entrenched culture that has made Microsoft a graveyard for the kind of big ideas that have inspired companies like Apple, Google, and Amazon is to split the company up so as to remove conflicts between new and old products and with Ballmer's departure instead of finding someone new to run the company, bring in experts to handle the legal side and find suitable CEOs for the new companies. 'The underlying problem for Microsoft is that the computing market has rapidly left behind the company's basic strategy of controlling the machines that people use with operating-system software,' says Erik Sherman. 'The combination of mobile devices that broke Microsoft's grip on the client end, and cloud computing that didn't necessarily need the company in data centers, shattered this form of control.' Anyone can see how easily you could split off the gaming folks, business division, retail stores, and hardware division says John Dvorak. Each entity would have agreements in place for long-term supply of software and services. 'This sort of shake up would ferret out all the empire builders and allow for new and more creative structures to emerge. And since everyone will have to be in a semi-startup mode, the dead wood will be eliminated by actual hard work.'

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-08-28 04:49 »

Yes, make it so. Although I would settle for the original plan ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... n#Judgment

Judgment

Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly, and that Microsoft had taken actions to crush threats to that monopoly, including Apple, Java, Netscape, Lotus Notes, RealNetworks, Linux, and others. Judgment was split in two parts.

On April 3, 2000, he issued his conclusions of law, according to which Microsoft had committed monopolization, attempted monopolization, and tying in violation of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Microsoft immediately appealed the decision.

On June 7, 2000, the court ordered a breakup of Microsoft as its "remedy". According to that judgment, Microsoft would have to be broken into two separate units, one to produce the operating system, and one to produce other software components.

Naturally the outgoing Clinton-Reno DoJ and the incoming Bush-Ashcroft DoJ weren't on the same page. Microsoft "negotiated" a settlement that kept them intact. That settlement ran out a couple of years back and here they are once again, flaunting their OS on non-Microsoft computers with a store and no sideloading.

Break these assholes up, just get that OS division outside of Redmond with no backchannel communication with Office, Software, Tools, or anyone else. It's so goddamn simple.

I couldn't care less about their other stuff, but the OS, be it Windows, Server, whatever, when used on non-Microsoft computers is a 3rd party OS, a guest, and must be neutral.

!
30%

2013-08-28 12:43 »

Yeah. This whole "sideloading" word is a new thing too, which is VERY disgusting. A computer's job is to run software. An operating system's job is to run software. Not "approved" software but ANY software. The whole idea of PERSONAL computers is that you can build ANY kind of software on it and use it. Now, Microsoft wants to force everyone to use WinRT (Windows Runtime) and that makes people locked into Windows Store. A locked down place where you must ask for permission, kind'a like the kindergarten.

For years I was unsure about making Windows software but now I know I made the right decision to leave developing for Windows. I create no more software for Windows. All I do is on the Web and although I do use Visual Studio (after all, it is THE best development tool), I never ever use a Microsoft "lock-in" technology. I'm very careful in everything that I build. I never use too specialized functions from .NET. I never use LINQ. I make sure my code is transferable to any other language be it C++, PHP or Java with EASE.

I will never ever, never ever, never ever ask permission from a 3rd party (Microsoft or any other) to create and distribute my own software. Never ever. 8-)

To hell with Apple. To hell with Google and yes indeed, to hell with Microsoft and their WinRT.

I am a grown up. I am a man. I bow down to no creation and no creation shall rule over me. I am free, I demand and exercise my right to be free. :relaxed:

!
30%

2013-08-29 02:11 »

Sports betting website lists Stephen Elop as favorite to be new Microsoft CEO.

Oh boy, Stephen Elop? For real? That might become truly the end of Microsoft if he is chosen. What the fuck does he know about software? :lol:

Funny comments:

neowin funny.PNG
neowin funny.PNG (13.1 KiB) Viewed 5038 times

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-08-29 03:26 »

Elop has the prerequisite chair throwing talent except that he used someone's iPhone ...

Cx7TW2f.jpg
Cx7TW2f.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 5034 times

I made this one about the Mafia deal Microsoft made with Nokia through Elop ...

VCDnUZU.jpg
VCDnUZU.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 5034 times

.. I may have to redo it with the toll booth scene, or maybe the canoli segment for Ballmer's exit and then use the Michael or Vincent promotion scene for whoever comes next. Any better ideas anyone?

!
30%

2013-08-29 03:32 »

Haha these are great! I would really like to see a toll booth scene!!! :mrgreen: