Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
MasterOne

2014-11-29 08:37 »

Microsoft has released a new build of the Windows 10 Technical Preview: Build 9879. There was a build before this that I didn't write about, but there wasn't much to speak of as is the case with this build. The online media outlets would like to believe otherwise, but they're getting paid to write articles and will make news out of absolutely nothing. There could be the slightest tweak to the GUI, and all the tech news sites would be all over it like flies on horse shit. As technology has slowed down in terms of memory size and CPU speed increases, the media outlets are grasping at straws in the sense of reporting on things that are totally inconsequential and banal.

The new build failed to install the first time around, and I've had this problem before with previous builds. A couple builds ago I had to do research online for this same problem, as the preview build I was attempting to install kept failing. With build 9879 the install failed once, but had success the second time around. Microsoft needs to fix whatever is causing the build installs to fail, as many other people online have written about the same problem. When I finally got the new build successfully installed, one of the first things I noticed was that SpyDrive was configured to automatically start upon boot. I can't remember if it was booting with Windows on previous builds, but looking back I think it was. You can't really blame me for not noticing, as I am only using Windows 10 PRISM Edition sparingly. OneDrive can be uninstalled in the Programs and Features dialogue in Control Panel, although I decided to remove the registry key instead. The location of the key is found at: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

skydrive.png
skydrive.png (255.63 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

The second thing I noticed after installing the new build, is that all the crappy/useless Windows store apps that were installed by default and that I had uninstalled came right back. The area where you uninstall a Windows store app is in an obscure location which makes absolutely no sense. It's found in PC settings under something called "app sizes". Microsoft needs to have one control panel where everything is unified. The PC settings interface is absolutely horrible and geared more towards a tablet, although it would in my opinion be a negative experience on a small device with a touch screen as well.

appsizes.png
appsizes.png (352.06 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

The Windows Mobility Center is looking dated, and on my laptop it has two missing tiles that are filled up with a solid green color. Microsoft needs to improve the look of the GUI when tiles are missing; just filling it up with green space makes it look ridiculous. This is not Windows 3.1, or at least I thought it wasn't.

mobilitycenter.png
mobilitycenter.png (470.98 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

The PC settings GUI provides for a very distasteful experience, and looks like it was designed for a third grader. The problem with it is that every screen is in a linear format, so you have multiple levels of screens incestuously nested inside of each other like a clusterfuck, which requires clicking the back or forward buttons a bunch of times to achieve anything. Some people may forget which level they are in and get completely confused, as it doesn't show the user how many rat nests in they are. In any commonplace desktop environment of today, including WIndows, the more folders somebody opens which all share the same window, the user sees the full file path in the address bar so they know exactly how many paths in they are. Microsoft has tried to make something simple for users, but instead it just makes the experience of tweaking settings and options a complete disaster. I started getting frustrated when trying to configure the wireless network settings, as it was a bunch of clicks forward and backwards to get anything done. I believe you can still configure your wireless adapter and network settings in the age-old control panel, but I'm writing this from the standpoint of an ordinary user who will click the signal strength indicator in the tray. Windows 7's wireless network tray interface is the definite winner here, as there's no comparison.

wi-fi.png
wi-fi.png (159.96 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

Tabs and icons are designed for making it easy for users to configure options, and date back to the days of the Xerox Alto. Here's a picture of an options dialog box running on the Xerox Star which was introduced in 1981, and as you can see, we have lots of options all one screen.

xeroxstar.jpg
xeroxstar.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

Here's another screenshot of the PC settings screen. Many of the options Microsoft chose to allow users to configure are stupid choices, and they're stupidly using precious space for things that could be more intelligently organized together. The whole thing looks really bizarre and ugly.

pcsettings.png
pcsettings.png (64.19 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

pcsettings2.png
pcsettings2.png (658.82 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

In this build there's something new called "Home", which displays user-defined links to folders. I don't understand why they added this because it's completely redundant. Links to folders can already be added using "Favorites" found in "This PC", formerly known as "My Computer" or just "Computer". In the picture below, I haven't changed anything from the default settings so it's an out-of-the-box experience. Notice how the downloads folder is listed three times, and four if you count the large icon in the main window? All but one link are already listed by default under "This PC", so there's no need for the redundancy. Some of the items under Home had a pin next to it and others didn't, so just out of curiosity I pinned something to Home that was already listed there and didn't have a pin next to it. Then I unpinned it and it disappeared completely. How does that make any sense? If it were there by default and had no pin next to it, then it should have gone back to that state. Obviously there is some bug here. It's also nonsensical that you can pin something to Start that's already pinned to Home, so here we have yet another redundancy.

home.png
home.png (94.39 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

I also don't like the new option when right-clicking on an icon on the desktop: "Pin to Start", especially when I have the Start menu configured not to show any tiles. Microsoft is attempting to make it seem like the "Pin to Start" functionality is there for the user's advantage, when it all ties in with their ploy to control you with their store. Don't fall for it, and don't take the bait.

pin.png
pin.png (499.32 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

The store is still looking infantilizing and completely idiotic:

store.png
store.png (503.7 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

By default, Xbox Music (rather than Windows Media Player) is the application which opens up media files. It looks so hideous and stupid that obviously any reasonable person who's halfway intelligent will set the default back to WMP or some other media player like foobar2000.

xbox.png
xbox.png (59.74 KiB) Viewed 6336 times

Windows 10 PRISM Edition provides a real shitty experience for the user, and offers absolutely zero advantages for anyone already using Windows 7. Even though it boots faster than Windows 7, that's not enough of a reason to give Windows 10 much praise. My advice is to stay as far away from it as possible, and if Microsoft ever changes things for the better, I'm sure you'll be hearing about it right here on this very forum. Last but not least, don't buy into all the hype emanating from the sellout online tech news sites that vehemently defend Windows 10 and its keylogging/spying functionality and beautiful ingenious interface. You never know which site is or isn't being paid by Microsoft to run a PR article making Windows 10 look like something wonderful.

!
30%

2014-11-30 06:34 »

Insanely good review! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I especially enjoyed this line:
The PC settings GUI provides for a very distasteful experience, and looks like it was designed for a third grader...

The user interface is so so so distasteful and tacky that makes my blood boil every time I see it.

Remove Weird Al's face in this video with whoever was in charge of all this "metro" stuff and you got a winner! :mrgreen:

ht_weird_al_yankovic_tacky_video_jc_140714_16x9_992 steve ballmer.jpg
ht_weird_al_yankovic_tacky_video_jc_140714_16x9_992 steve ballmer.jpg (120.78 KiB) Viewed 6330 times

ht_weird_al_yankovic_tacky_video_jc_140714_16x9_992.jpg
ht_weird_al_yankovic_tacky_video_jc_140714_16x9_992.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 6330 times

MasterOne

2014-12-06 19:36 »

Excellent video! A perfect way to explain Windows 8.x and Windows 10.

MasterOne

2014-12-15 23:04 »

Here's a Magnet link in case anyone wants to download the "leaked" Windows 10 build 9901 which I'll probably review later:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4875ccc2ac2b0504d3ef5e0690173d471a9e9e27&dn=J%5FCCSA%5FX64FRE%5FEN-US%5FDV5.ISO&tr=udp://open.demonii.com:1337/announce

Have fun, and don't get too excited.

MasterOne

2014-12-15 23:05 »

By the way, that link is not for 32-bit machines.

!
30%

2014-12-16 03:39 »

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-o ... nto-the-os: Windows 10: OneDrive dives deeper into the OS.

Inside the 'Update and Recovery' settings tab inside Windows 10 build 9901, the 'Backup' option gives you toggles for sending data to OneDrive for, well, backup purposes. Along with app data, you can store your Start layout, passwords, favorites and 'other' system settings to OneDrive.

THE INSANITY NEVER ENDS.

Do I trust Microsoft (a faceless corporation) with my passwords and private files? NOT IN A 1000 YEARS! :evil:

How many average Joe the morons will be leaving those ON? Will it be ON by default? It probably will.

1_screen_shot_2014-12-15_at_9.55.50_am_story.jpg
1_screen_shot_2014-12-15_at_9.55.50_am_story.jpg (37.74 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

MasterOne

2014-12-17 01:46 »

Build 9901 was very short-lived on my laptop. The newest desktop version of Skype crashed everytime I logged in and I couldn't get it working. Firefox ran extremely slow and dragged its feet with every mouse click, as if it were running on a 386 with 4 megs of ram. There's also the new Cortana feature integrated into the deskbar, which in its current incarnation is stupidly implemented because of the amount of space it reserves on the taskbar:

windows10-cortana-preview.jpg
windows10-cortana-preview.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 6105 times

MasterOne

2014-12-17 02:07 »

Accidentally hit submit..haha!! well if a mod could erase this and change "deskbar" to "taskbar" please, and the following text should go after the picture: :mrgreen: :crazy:

I couldn't use Cortana because I refuse to get a Microsoft account, which is required ot use it. One thing I noticed was that during the installation, it asks you if you want to turn off Bing search suggestions which pertains to searching for something in the revamped Start menu, but Bing results come up when you search in the new Cortana text box whether or not that "privacy option" is set. Sneaky, 'ey? You can add an address bar to your taskbar too, to start making things look really stupid. PC Settings is now renamed "Settings" and zPC Settings is gone. I think zPC Settings was what Settings now is, with some additional tweaks to cator to 8-12 year olds and mentally retarded people. The PC Settings interface still doesn't provide an option to hierarchically navigate between windows. It's still all back and forward (click, click, click...). This also means that if, for instance, you're doing a Windows update and want to watch the progress, and click on the signal strength indicator in the tray, that screen gets wiped out because it's all happening in PC Settings.

!
30%

2014-12-17 07:37 »

No way man. I love the "deskbar" word. It shall be here, forevery! :mrgreen: :razz: :mrgreen:

Those red colors... I think people at Microsoft have become color blind or something. :sick: :sick: :sick:

As if I would allow an "always listening" "thing" (Cortana) in my room... sending my words to the Internet. :shh:

MasterOne

2014-12-17 14:21 »

They should have named it "Desk Bar" from the beginning...I think I like it better.