Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
Steven W
VIP

2014-10-10 04:06 »

A couple of years ago, when Groklaw.net was still going, I would occasionally use Google to try to keep up with events in and further my understanding of SCO v. IBM. One day I ran across this:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/5 ... n.html.csp

On the breakfast table at Mimi's Cafe, Darl McBride had eggs and potatoes served in a fried tortilla and an offer of $2 million from Utah's then-attorney general, Mark Shurtleff, if he would just shut his mouth.

It seems McBride invested with a Mr. Robbins and was expecting a huge return on said investment. Seems that return never came to be. Assuming that what Darl says is true, for some reason the then Attorney General wanted Darl to keep quiet and to kill a website he maintained for tracking Robbins down. I can attest that the site did exist and Darl would occasionally use it for other purposes:

Picture 14.png
Picture 14.png (28.68 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

:lol:

Seriously though, there were times I truly felt compassion for PJ.

There are other details in that article. If you want to read feel free.

Now it seems Darl and his wife have filed a civil suit regarding this and "for Shurtleff's execution of the [lawsuit] dismissal and reversal of the Utah attorney general's official position against the foreclosure practices used by BofA throughout the state". There may be more, I haven't seen any documents.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58285 ... csp?page=1

A key player in the scandal surrounding Mark Shurtleff and John Swallow is suing the former attorneys general, alleging they conspired with Bank of America to derail a major foreclosure lawsuit, harming thousands of Utahns who could have benefited from the case.

Oh, thank you for thinking of the thousands! Wait!:

The McBrides also were facing foreclosure by Bank of America. They defaulted on a loan at the bank's recommendation, according to the couple's lawsuit, so that they then could negotiate a modification, just as the Bells had done. But, the suit says, the bank refused to negotiate.

Now I see. Forgive me if I laugh just a little. Much like SCO v. IBM, we'll have to wait to see what the court(s) have to say. Think this lawsuit will take nearly a decade to clear up? Maybe more?

Another article:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all

!
30%

2014-10-10 10:03 »

A little off topic but speaking of that, check this one:

Google, Oracle Java API copyright battle lands at Supreme Court.

Steven W
VIP

2014-10-10 23:28 »

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup: A nice thing about this petition, is how you get a broad overview of the case, at least from Google's perspective.

The question is:

Whether copyright protection extends to all elements of an original work of computer software, including a system or method of operation, that an author could have written in more than one way.

Hopefully, the Supremes will take it up! I'm certain you won't mind if I create a new topic once I read a bit more.