Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
Fool's design
3%

2013-11-19 09:16 »

CharlotteTheHarlot wrote:...Are you saying it is better to re-upload them ( attachment ) rather than link from Imgur or Photobucket or Flickr? Just curious as to why that is better...

External links tend to "die" as time goes by. Imagine 10 years from now, maybe those external image services will not be there. By uploading them directly into your post in here, you "seal" them as a packages in here. Everything in "one place". As an example, take that Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions thread on MSFN. Many pictures in there are "dead" links.

Our vision is that if we someday are forced to shut this Web site down, we don't want any of the data to be lost. We can then zip the entire database and make it available to others if they wish to have a copy of this place or perhaps in the future we can try to build a native function for saving threads. Having local copies of the files on our servers attached to our database makes such things possible.

Another reason is privacy and security, many times these services can go "bad", for example they can use cookies or javascript to track users even when viewing a picture (many of them already do). By serving everything directly from this Web site, our users will not need to worry about third party cookies and scripts. They can rest assured that when viewing foolsdesign.org, no other third party is involved.

...and of course, generally speaking, relying on third parties to hold your data is a bad idea.

!
30%

2013-11-19 09:34 »

@CharlotteTheHarlot,

Yeah, the thing is that I just allow javascript and cookies for "known" Web sites which I trust and use regularly but many users don't use "NoScript" or "BetterPrivacy". I know for a fact that many news Web sites I read, when I copy/paste an image to an email, even then, the image tries to plant a cookie! It's fairly creepy.

It can also prevent shit that happened at MSFN where they started to delete my posts. They deleted a whole bunch of them. Nobody can start deleting "history" and data in here. Nobody can pay off external third parties to delete linked pictures or zip files or whatever. (We only host legal content in here, of course.)

Independence is a nice thing and in here, we do not depend on any third party big corporation, only our dear members, including yourself. :mrgreen:

By the way, our data is in three (!) separate cities. Two of them are mirrored servers, 20 km away from each other and the third is roughly 1500 km away from the other two. I bet many corporations do not even have this level of data redundancy as we do.
::thumbup::

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-11-20 08:32 »

Fully agree with all you say about archiving the stuff naturally!

I guess I was confused. I thought that all the (IMG)xxx(/IMG) files from IMGUR ( for example ) became embedded upon pressing submit ( meaning copied to foolsdesign servers ), and then re-served from there rather than re-linked from IMGUR.

Just for example, in this thread ... viewtopic.php?p=772#p772

I have a picture that shows address as ... download/file.php?id=222

I assumed that image was now internally stored on foolsdesign, but maybe that PHP script is just pointing back to IMGUR where I have it stored? Or is this what you meant by "extra work" where you had to manually pull in the IMGUR linked image to a local file?

I definitely don't want to make extra work for you so if you want I can always upload directly. No worries. Just trying to understand.

Fool's design
3%

2013-11-20 09:02 »

Unlike for example such places as MSFN, we see our users as customers. We do not have any advertisers so the members and visitors are our customers so to speak. Therefore, we try to give a certain level of service.

All of the posts in here are manually read, everything. All of the images you posted here with external URL:s have been manually downloaded, archived and added to your posts. That is why you see the pictures in your old posts hosted from our servers. :)

So, if you could attach them as files into your posts from the start, it would indeed save us some manual work but of course, we do not "force" you to do so. You are fully within your rights to not upload the images but it would be nice of you if you did upload them and lift some work load from our shoulders. :oops: :D :oops:

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-11-29 02:13 »

Another question.

After an image is uploaded, to use it again in other posts from your server means to use the ...

download/file.php?id=xxx

... as the IMG url, correct?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

Fool's design
3%

2013-11-29 02:37 »

Yes, as long as you use our server's "foolsdesign.org/download..."-URL to repost an image, it's "archive safe" or you can also re-download and re-upload it but re-linking an already posted image from any "foolsdesign.org"-URL is totally fine too, because the images are still on our server and ready for archiving.

::thumbup::

Thanksgiving_Dinner.jpg
Thanksgiving_Dinner.jpg (752.77 KiB) Viewed 5700 times

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-11-29 09:36 »

Great picture, but where's the beer?

!
30%

2013-11-29 14:21 »

Forget the beer, I'll bring wine! :lol:

chianti-wine_cellar.jpg
chianti-wine_cellar.jpg (113.07 KiB) Viewed 5695 times

Now, if only this was my cellar! :( :mrgreen:

Fool's design
3%

2013-11-29 14:23 »

Beer-Hops-Wheat.jpg
Beer-Hops-Wheat.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 5694 times

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-11-29 20:38 »

-( beer photo )-

That's what I'm talkin' about!

P.S. about the download URL, yeah I entered the whole HTTP... string ( it's still in the link though ) but the forum software only displayed the "download/file.php?id=xxx".