Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
Fool's design
3%

2013-12-19 02:02 »

Hello everyone!

:!: We are going to upgrade our two servers to the new Windows Server 2012 R2 and this will cause some small temporarily service disruptions in two stages. :!:

Stage 1.
The backup server has been upgraded to WIN2K12R2 and we are going to switch all the Web sites to that second server in order to free up the first server for the upgrade. You may be experiencing some temporarily service disruptions until Friday due to DNS IP switching. These disruptions should be very small because we use the excellent DNS services from DNS Made Easy. They are extremely good and reliable.

Stage 2.
Will be updated later when stage one is complete.

MasterOne

2013-12-19 08:45 »

I'm sure you are looking forward to the Modern Kiddie-UI that ships with Windows Server 2012. Why not run a Linux distro for the server instead?

Fool's design
3%

2013-12-27 01:21 »

C# is an excellent language to make line of business applications. Visual Studio is the best development IDE on the planet. Those two reasons are primary. Despite the horrible GUI, Windows Server 2012 R2 is an excellent server product fit for the enterprise. ReFS file system is excellent and everything "just works". Since version 7.x, IIS is an excellent Web server as well for small and medium sized businesses. Great backup solutions, good failover and let us not forget, MS SQL is superb in terms of quality and rapid development tools it offers.

When running a business, especially a small business with not many manpowers, you want something that "just works" with good support. Our background is in enterprise so the Windows Server was an easy choice for us because we don't have even one minute extra to "fiddle" with stuff. Things must work, always.

Surely a Linux + Apache would also work but these kinds of setups need too much fiddling and when your applications are written in C#, well, Windows Server is the only choice. :relaxed:

``-_-´´

2013-12-27 01:22 »

We have been using Windows servers for a looong time in many projects since 13 years back. Excellent products. ::thumbup:: By the way, Windows servers can be installed without any GUI just like Linux.

!
30%

2013-12-27 01:26 »

None of you guys go to sleep? *lol* Well, I'm awake too! Going to sleep in a while, however. Yepp, yepp, nothing wrong with Windows Server 2012 R2. Hell, I even use it as mu gaming OS but then again, I'm a little mad. :mrgreen:

The choice between PHP and C#, it's not even a choice really. C# wins, hands down. ::clap:: Everyone sane developer knows PHP is a mess and who wants to use anything else than Visual Studio? When you go VS, you can never go back! :lol: :P :lol: