Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
MasterOne

2014-01-14 21:53 »

I had DiskPart open in a command prompt to partition a disk, then brought to the foreground the Management Console. That's when the whole damn thing crashed. This is on a Windows 7 x64 machine with fairly recent hardware, all critical updates applied, and just Skype, Avast, and a few other things installed. I have a driver called Ext2Fsd installed too, but I doubt this was the culprit because I don't have it set up to run upon boot. Anyway, you'd think that Microsoft's admin tools would be more reliable, considering that it's a vital part of the OS. The funny thing is, that when the registry is left alone, and you don't have bad programs crapping all over it, Windows 7 can be pretty reliable. But, you open up the one thing that should never crash, and it crashes in 5 minutes. C'mon MS, you can do better.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (141.43 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

!
30%

2014-01-15 07:37 »

I think that issue comes up when your hardware is "busy" doing something and doesn't respond in a timely manner. Usually but not always, if you don't "keep clicking on the window" and wait it out, it won't crash. It might also have been Avast making things a bit slower too. Personally, I don't use any antivirus software, on my own machines of course, I don't trust the bastards. ;)

EDIT: Although, on second thought, the disk management stuff should almost never crash because they are so important, specially in middle of a disk operation. :?

Ps. Ironic thing, I'm very happy with performance of Windows 8.x and Windows Server 2012 R2 which I use. If only they could remove the user interface and put back Aero glass effect back on it, I would almost be happy. :P

Fool's design
3%

2014-01-15 07:44 »

:idea: Moved this topic to "General discussion" because it isn't really about badly designed stuff.