Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
Steven W
VIP

2014-03-30 10:03 »

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 61444.html

Monitoring companies and their employees along with the theft of customer lists are classic acts of economic espionage. Indeed, such revelations ought be a case for the German federal public prosecutors' office, which in the past has initiated investigations into comparable cases involving Russia or China.

So far, however, German Federal Public Prosecutor Harald Range has been struggling with the NSA issue....

Assuming "ought be" was meant to be "ought to be". No worries here, you've been told that the NSA doesn't use information collected from private companies to give American companies and edge. I'm sure that is the "least untruthful" statement they can make for now. Nothing to see here, move along.

Steven W
VIP

2014-03-30 10:04 »

Correction "and edge" --> an edge.

Steven W
VIP

2014-05-12 23:14 »

Steven W wrote:I've also noticed that all of the "Boo-hoo China's spying on us" articles seemed to have dried up in the media. Wonder why?

Leave it to Mr. Greenwald to find a good example:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/m ... rs-snowden

But while American companies were being warned away from supposedly untrustworthy Chinese routers, foreign organisations would have been well advised to beware of American-made ones. A June 2010 report from the head of the NSA's Access and Target Development department is shockingly explicit. The NSA routinely receives - or intercepts - routers, servers, and other computer network devices being exported from the US before they are delivered to the international customers.

The agency then implants backdoor surveillance tools, repackages the devices with a factory seal, and sends them on. The NSA thus gains access to entire networks and all their users. The document gleefully observes that some "SIGINT tradecraft . is very hands-on (literally!)".

Uncle-Sam-is-listening--116892.jpg
Uncle-Sam-is-listening--116892.jpg (179.62 KiB) Viewed 3885 times

Do as I say, not as I do.