Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
!
30%

2014-01-30 22:00 »

For some reason, people don't like to pay for software. My life long dream of living off making software never got realized. Everyone wants software for free. I suppose that's free market at work. Software isn't simply worth much to people. I wish that I was smart enought to understand it 20 years ago, however.

For example when LogMeIn discontinues free access to its service, people get all angry. I am not judging anyone wanting free software but I personally find it kind'a sad.

Every time I see such reactions, I get reminded of my shattered dream.

cheap bastards.PNG
cheap bastards.PNG (28.35 KiB) Viewed 2907 times

shattered-dreams.jpg
shattered-dreams.jpg (67.47 KiB) Viewed 2907 times

Steven W
VIP

2014-01-30 23:27 »

I can understand your sentiment. I do use a lot of free software. Just some thoughts of mine, take them for what they're worth.

First off, there are some ways to sell software. Obviously you could get a website and try to sell whatever it is you're coding. The phone stores (Chrome Store) could be of some potential. Writing serious games for the serious gaming platforms -- that seems, to me, to be one of the better ways to rake in some dough. I've personally donated to some of the non-profits and paid for licenses for a free product after the developer (Irfan Skiljan) added some features I asked for. I wish it could have been more. Working for one of the non-profits? Asking for donations for something that is free? A couple of users over at MSFN sell some software, Tihiy's Start is Back and Mr. R. Loew sells "Tools and Utilities to provide added functionality for users. Patches and Add-ons to Upgrade and Expand Legacy Operating Systems. ".

Again, just some thoughts.

MasterOne

2014-01-31 20:03 »

I don't think there's anything wrong with somebody selling software, or people buying software. The problem I have, is that closed source software titles regularly have spy features, and can't be verified as to whether or not they have back doors. With closed source software, the developer has control over the user's machine, and the user has to "just trust" the developer that no malicious features were put in. With open source and free software (not as in price), it puts the users in control of their computing. With open source and free software, projects can grow very large and have millions of eyes on the code. I just think it's a better model for development, and I think it's been proven that the open source model is more secure on average than the closed source model.

On one hand, we have the open source camp who thinks open source is the way to go for technical reasons. Then we have the free software camp, who thinks free software is the way to go because of moral issues. Some people believe so strongly in one or the other or both of the aforementioned ideologies, that it's given closed source software developers a real run for their money. I have no problem with that, because it's the way things evolve.