Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
Steven W
VIP

2014-03-16 23:29 »

I don't believe there's any rule against discussing politics here. Part of me dreads discussing this here, but I need to discuss it somewhere. I hope this thread doesn't disintegrate into a madhouse. Anyway, here it goes:

I'm sure that there are many in the Ukraine that honestly wish for real reform, but I don't think that's what they've gotten in the current situation. This has had an aroma since it's beginning. Once you start taking a look at those in power in the Ukraine now, you get a sense that things are not quite right. It smells of something that was cooked up in a U.S kitchen. It smells very similarly to 1950s Guatemala and 1980s Nicaragua.

After extensive Googling, I found an article that not only agrees with my assumption, but, for me at least, clarifies who the player likely are and attempts to make sense of the current situation:

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/12/propaga ... t_ukraine/

Here is my early call: We witness an American intervention in the process of failing, and the adventure's only yields will be much pointless suffering among Ukrainians and life for years to come in the smothering embrace of a justifiably suspicious Russian bear.

Insisting on direct talks between Russia and the provisional government in Kiev is to insist the former recognize the latter, a trap Putin cannot possibly be stupid enough to fall into. Recognition, in turn, would complete the Nuland-Pyatt project to gift Ukrainians with a post-Yanukovych puppet government. This is Kerry's unstated intent.

I grant anyone that this is speculation (as even the author admits), but when I take a look at the situation as a whole, it's the most sensible speculation I've seen.

...You get bent logic: The new cabinet includes three Jews, proving (somehow) it is legitimate. The ultra-right has only three cabinet posts. (Only? That is 16 percent of it. Why any?)

If you do any research on these "ultra-right" groups, be prepared to be shocked. One of those aforementioned cabinet members has announced his intentions to run for President. I see comments on Youtube saying something to the effect of "Ukrainians aren't foolish enough to vote for this guy". I keep thinking to myself he and his cohorts are already in power. Don't you think the might end up seizing more power, get a hold of weapons? Who knows what could happen?

I see "the West" wants to secure funding from the International Monetary Fund. Oh Lord! If anyone thought that the former Government was corrupt, just wait until you have to deal with the IMF.

I sincerely hope that a peaceful resolution to this comes to pass. I also hope that my gut feeling about this is wrong and the U.S wasn't involved.

Fool's design
3%

2014-03-16 23:55 »

Steven W wrote:I don't believe there's any rule against discussing politics here...

Indeed, there is no such rule. Speak freely! :relaxed:

anything goes.PNG
anything goes.PNG (7.99 KiB) Viewed 14876 times

Steven W
VIP

2014-03-17 00:11 »

Thanks again! Fooldesign rulez! ::thumbup::

!
30%

2014-03-17 02:23 »

Frankly, all I hope for is that this thing won't go nuclear. *lol* Obama vs Putin. I hate wars. :(

I, user.

2014-03-17 02:29 »

Heh, "!", nothing wrong with some roasted bodies in the morning. :P :mrgreen: :P

Steven, you might be on to something. I didn't think of it much until you mentioned it like that.

Now, I'm probably going to rub our American visitors the wrong way but sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words:

freedom.gif
freedom.gif (52.78 KiB) Viewed 14869 times

Scorpius

2014-03-17 02:44 »

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-s ... 2014-03-14

Late Sunday exit polls showed 93% of voters in Crimea chose to secede from Ukraine and rejoin Russia. The U.S. immediately said the vote violated Ukraine's constitution and was held under "threats of violence and intimidation from a Russian military intervention that violates international law."

I guess according to USA, 93% voted "wrong". Democracy is good as long as people vote the way USA wants? Strange position they take on this. How can it be illegal if 93% of the population want something? Strange times.

MW-BM429_putin_20131003104137_MD.jpg
MW-BM429_putin_20131003104137_MD.jpg (11.84 KiB) Viewed 14867 times

Roksana-04-785573.jpg
Roksana-04-785573.jpg (126.54 KiB) Viewed 14867 times

!
30%

2014-03-17 02:47 »

U.S. might be right though, I mean it maybe depends how many % of total Ukraine population is in Crimea. Maybe that's what they mean. I always get confused by politics. I don't understand it so I keep to technology mostly. :P

Steven W
VIP

2014-03-17 03:37 »

It's really not too difficult to understand what is likely the U.S position on this:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -pipelines

The Russian position is maybe a bit more complex, after all they have a history there, a naval base and Ukraine shares a border. But I'm sure the gas isn't a non-consideration. The article I linked to above has a few lines that I think wrap up "Western" attitudes toward Russia quite nicely:

...The first step, admittedly hard for many Americans, is to drop all Cold War baggage and see beyond the West's century-and-a-half habit of demonizing Russia as the emblematic power of the inherently autocratic East. "Oriental despotism" was a passing fad conjured by a scholar-stooge named Karl Wittfogel in the late 1950s. It died a deserved death - around the time of hula hoops, I think - but the prejudice lingers, remarkably, in many Western minds.

Well, for whatever reason, I think there's an assumption from people in many parts of the world that the U.S is a defender/purveyor of democracy and freedom and does wonderful things all over the world. That may have been true at some point in time (I'm thinking that *ended* after World War II). That's also when the country took Britain's place at the top of the totem pole, so to speak. That sort of thinking needs some serious adjustment. People really need to know what goes on in the U.S, let alone what the U.S does to the rest of the world.

I'm glad that this sparked a little conversation. Now for a little fun. Let's play connect the dots:

http://edition.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/meast ... euro.reut/

Steven W
VIP

2014-03-17 04:31 »

People really need to know what goes on in the U.S, let alone what the U.S does to the rest of the world.

It occurs to me that I should be more specific. People really need to be aware of what the U.S government does to its own people, let alone what it does to the rest of the world.

I, user, you didn't offend me in the slightest, but do bear in mind it's not the average American citizen, it's our government. ;)

I, user.

2014-03-17 13:02 »

A U.N. panel on Monday approved Iraq's plan to receive oil-export payments in Europe's single currency after Baghdad decided to move the start date back a week.

Members of the Security Council's Iraqi sanctions committee said the panel's chairman, Dutch Ambassador Peter van Walsum, would inform U.N. officials on Tuesday of the decision to allow Iraq to receive payments in euros, rather than dollars.

Shit! This is a HUGE news!!! Thanks for sharing!