Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
Steven W
VIP

2014-03-31 22:04 »

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digi ... 35ims.html

While he won't reveal how much he was paid for the photograph, a stock image library item at the time, he said had it been licensed to earn even just a fraction of a cent per copy of Windows XP sold he would've earned much more than he did under the deal he struck.

You know I get it. Who doesn't want more money? I'm going to keep digging, but somewhere online there was an article a few years ago where folks were whining about the poor artists and digital photography, the creative commons, freely available photographs and how "the creatives" were losing money. Well, I had the nerve to ask that if anyone can do it, is it still considered creative?

I don't want to come across as saying the photo used for the default background on XP's desktop isn't beautiful -- it absolutely is, but it could have easily have been replaced. Someone could have easily have taken a very similar photo or have picked something entirely different.

There is a fairly well known art school in my neighborhood, and I'm of the opinion that 90-some percent of it's students are nothing more than piles of shit. I've seen some of their work and often think I should pull out some of the stuff my mother saved from my elementary school art classes and put them to shame. My landlord had one student who was behind on rent and had them make a signNow, I'm not putting O'Rear in the same category as those students, but still, it's a photograph of a hillside and some clouds. Honestly, get over yourself.

Steven W
VIP

2014-03-31 22:11 »

Hit submit too soon The landlord regretted his decision. The sign was awful.

!
30%

2014-04-01 10:05 »

Steven W wrote:...Well, I had the nerve to ask that if anyone can do it, is it still considered creative?

...Someone could have easily have taken a very similar photo or have picked something entirely different...

Excellent points. For the life of me, I can't remember where but I read some very nice essay on how anything digital isn't really worth much either or perhaps it was in my own thoughts that I came up with that notion. As you say, if anyone can do it, even if called an art, is might not be as creative as its creator thinks it is and certainly not worth much.

That is why "digital art" isn't worth much. You don't see people hanging "digital art" on their walls or pay millions for a "digital art" picture.

Nothing in the digital world has much worth because it can be easily reproduced, by almost anyone. Even if the idea of it is very original, once put out there in the digital world, its worth depreciates significantly.

art-BLISS-620x349.jpg
art-BLISS-620x349.jpg (58.44 KiB) Viewed 2976 times