Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
Steven W
VIP

2014-04-07 22:49 »

I'm reserving judgment here:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-open-sou ... 000028031/

In a move few would have ever imagined coming to pass, Microsoft is open sourcing more of its .Net developer framework and programming languages.
Attachments
dotnetfoundation-620x496.png
dotnetfoundation-620x496.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 4642 times

Steven W
VIP

2014-04-07 22:54 »

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-open-so ... 000028109/

Among the .Net technologies that Microsoft is open-sourcing is its "Roslyn" compiler, which is the foundation for future versions of Visual Basic and C#. Microsoft's announcement last week means all future iterations of these compilers will be open sourced under an Apache 2.0 license.

I'm impressed by the license choose.

So will Microsoft take the next step and open source the core of .Net, including the Base Class Libraries (BCL) and Common Language Runtime (CLR)?

"We are taking it one step at a time," said Somasegar. "If it's truly beneficial for us and for the community," Microsoft will consider it, Somasegar said. But there has to be a proven need, he emphasized. For example, Microsoft provided Xamarin with the BCL documentation late last week given that company's proven need for it.

There's always a catch and it seems to me this is a rather large one. Can Xamarin implement an open source versions of this stuff? I'm still trying to figure out what license is being used for the rest of the stuff

!
30%

2014-04-07 22:56 »

Embrace, extend and extinguish.

"Embrace, extend, and extinguish", also known as "Embrace, extend, and exterminate",[2] is a phrase that the U.S. Department of Justice found[3] was used internally by Microsoft[4] to describe its strategy for entering product categories involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities, and then using those differences to disadvantage its competitors.

Joke aside, I like .NET and C# a lot! Although, I never use too much specialized stuff like too many complex LINQ in my code. There must always be a bridge back to some other language in case Microsoft goes all Windows 8.x on my ass. Of course, using WinRT is out of question altogether, Microsoft can shove their Windows Store right up their ass where the sun don't shine!

SCAN0090.jpg
SCAN0090.jpg (257.12 KiB) Viewed 4640 times

!
30%

2014-04-07 23:03 »

Steven W wrote:...
Among the .Net technologies that Microsoft is open-sourcing is its "Roslyn" compiler, which is the foundation for future versions of Visual Basic and C#...

...There's always a catch...

Here is a nice catch for you, from 2011:

Microsoft's Roslyn: Reinventing the compiler as we know it.

Roslyn has been described as "compiler-as-a-service technology," a term that's caused a lot of confusion. I've even seen headlines heralding the project as "Microsoft's cloud compiler service" or "bringing .Net to the cloud." None of that is correct. Technically, it would be possible to offer code compilation as a cloud-based service, but it's hard to see the advantage, except in special circumstances.

Roslyn isn't services in the sense of software-as-a-service (SaaS), platform-as-a-service (PaaS), or similar cloud offerings. Rather, it's services in the sense of Windows services. Roslyn is a complete reengineering of Microsoft's .Net compiler toolchain in a new way, such that each phase of the code compilation process is exposed as a service that can be consumed by other applications.

They are trying to hide it well and do damage control but I don't trust them one iota! The future will show if people like me, who distrust Microsoft with ANYTHING LOCKED-DOWN where we have to ask permission to deploy our own software, were right or wrong.

Prayfully, techtalk.cc will be around in the future so we can get back and see if we were wrong or right. :mrgreen:

Steven W
VIP

2014-04-07 23:19 »

You do realize, that's one of the things they're open sourcing? I'm certainly no MS advocate (most of my posts here reflect that). Given their past behavior, we all know why! One thing that's occurred to me for a while is that by open sourcing .NET (under a real open source license) and not making mistakes like Sun/Oracle did with Java, not having an exclusive (better) version for Windows, and with quite a bit of improvement to the core of the thing, is that MS could play a very important leadership role in a potentially very important technology for the foreseeable future. They've gotten there yet (see Ms. Foley's comments), but things like that could potentially be important in a world where Windows isn't king.

I'm not being fooled, I want more information!

Steven W
VIP

2014-04-07 23:20 »

They've gotten there yet ==> They've not gotten there yet

!
30%

2014-04-07 23:26 »

Steven W wrote:...I'm not being fooled, I want more information!

+1 ::thumbup::