Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
!
30%

2023-07-19 07:08 »

https://www.techtarget.com/searchdataba ... p-Strategy
The 3-2-1 backup is a time-tested data protection and recovery methodology for ensuring that data is protected adequately and up-to-date backup copies of the data are available when needed. The basic concept of the 3-2-1 backup strategy is that three copies are made of the data to be protected, the copies are stored on two different types of storage media and one copy of the data is sent off site.
Importance of the 3-2-1 rule
The 3-2-1 backup strategy is recognized as a best practice for information security and data protection professionals. Although the process doesn't guarantee that all data will never be compromised in some manner, the strategy eliminates some of the risks involved in backup procedures. The 3-2-1 methodology is important in ensuring that there is no single point of failure for data. Not only is an organization covered if one copy is corrupted or a technology fails, but also if a natural disaster or theft occurs that wipes out the physical storage types.
Scary stuff like this can happen to anyone:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05 ... mised/amp/

Your primary disk or the backup fails and you cannot recover any files. Imagine losing old photos of family and loved ones.

Always backup, backup, backup!!!

!
30%

2023-07-19 07:13 »

I saw this randomly and thought to share it as a reminder for backups. My off sight backup is a Google Drive. I'm actually pretty happy with the Google Drive, I tested uploading a huge VHDX virtual disk to it and then downloaded it back and it worked just fine.

ONE REALLY BIG ISSUE with Google Drive is though, that if you upload or download or synchronize files to it, the files WILL LOSE THEIR MODIFIED DATE!! It's actually pretty insane that they don't keep the original file dates, hence I put my files into a VHDX virtual disk and upload the disk. Although for photos from phone isn't that big of a deal, usually phone camera has the date and time as the file name, but it's still very annoying issue. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Steven W
VIP

2023-08-05 01:43 »

Okay, I'll bite :wink:

Do you use just a free Google Drive account or do you pay extra for more storage?

!
30%

2023-08-10 13:15 »

I pay for a 2TB plan to keep backup of tech talk files and old family photos and old files. Honestly, it's working really really great and the price is, well, not low for sure but bearable, I skip a meal here and there for it to balance out the loss.

One thing though, when you have it installed on desktop, careful not to delete files from local or the connected Google Drive, I mean, it's mirrored so whatever you delete locally also will delete on Google Drive.

The free one has only 15GB space, a bit too low these days.