Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
!
30%

2013-03-22 20:03 »

Evernote, Box executives warn developers not to avoid Windows platforms.

Hah! They are getting desperate now.

desperate_cat.jpg
desperate_cat.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 8292 times

!
30%

2013-03-26 12:22 »

Hah! Every time I post something with a reference to "Entering the invisible prison, feudalism in IT", the fools of Microsoft Channel 9 forums delete my post without any warning or reason, even though it is fully on topic and related to for example http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeeh ... screen-720, where they talk about how the new Xbox must always be connect to the Internet and has an always on camera and microphone (Kinect is required to be plugged in).

Gotta love that "openness" they got going over there. A few closed minded people reaffirming each others' beliefs in a tight little circle.

I found some pictures of them fools of Microsoft Channel 9 forums which I attach here.

Look! What's in the background of the first picture, is that Windows 8 they are running? :D

1529155547_6c27d7ca23_z.jpg
1529155547_6c27d7ca23_z.jpg (159.19 KiB) Viewed 8290 times

SheepBuckethead.jpg
SheepBuckethead.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 8290 times

CowPail.jpg
CowPail.jpg (146.1 KiB) Viewed 8290 times

This guy put it very well so I will quote him:

wastingtimewithforums wrote:Yummie, according to Microsoft's own docs, the new Xbox will be:

"Always on, always connected"
"Kinect is required to be plugged in"
"All games must be installed on HDD"

http://n4g.com/news/1213397/vgleaks-doc ... st-install

Let's not forget that the Kinect is actually a camera! Apart from blocking used games (very possible given this specs) it means that you're buying a 24/7 connected-to-the-mothership camera here, usually directed at the living room to boot.

In short: You're buying a real-life telescreen! (Telescreens are the television sets in "1984", they act as display devices but they also work as surveillance cameras, monitoring the room they are in and sending the stream to the powers that be)

Given this setup, I think it's only a matter of time before it user-identification through the camera is REQUIRED before using the console (according to rumors, your real name is a requirement for using the PS4, so this will be only a step-up). Maybe this will happen in the next version. You know, to prevent abuse, hackers, cheaters, pedophiles in in-game chats etc.. don't worry, an excuse will be found. Don't call me alarmist. Just a few years ago, the thought about blocking used-games and an mandatory always on-power/on-line console would have been absurd.

I also like it how the new Xbox SDK installer uses the Matrix font. Freudian slip?

xdk1.jpg
xdk1.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 8290 times

Using footage from a movie about being a slave for machines from birth to death sets the mood quite nicely for Telescreen 720.

I haven't made the stuff up, it's right from Microsoft's SDK:

xdk5.jpg
xdk5.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 8290 times

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

Quote:

----

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. [...] and will always maintain a network connection.

Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be required for the system to operate [...] Active infrared illumination will provide high-quality monochrome images even in low ambient light conditions (!)

----

Didn't you know that a perma-connected console is just bricked without a mandatory infrared-enhanced camera?!

By the way:

http://www.neowin.net/news/how-microsof ... -via-Skype

I laughed about this stuff too, but the direction in the last few years (not only Microsoft's) made me cautious.

Oh yeah? Give it time.

boiling-frog.jpg
boiling-frog.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 8290 times

I can remember when activation was something that was only for high-end custom software.. I can remember when DRM was utterly despised, and now it quite often gets defended on forums.

Blocking used games was absolutely unthinkable, it was bad sci-fi, and now it's something that is openly discussed by the vendors, maybe going even to be implemented. And the fanbois are starting to defend it.

Forced real names, operating systems that urge you to create accounts relentlessly, forced appstores with no sideloading functionality, forced cloudification, dubious studies that allude people who don't want to striptease their privacy on Facebook as psychopaths(http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/no-facebook-psychopath/)... And now always-on consoles with mandatory cameras.

Those Xbox docs look absolutely legit to me, because it's the logical next step in this path.

And the ubiquitous spyware functions just about everywhere don't even raise eyebrows nowadays. I can remember when it was called "phone home" and caused uproars.

For many of these things I had understanding at first, but that understanding grows thin. It's obviously not about piracy anymore, it's about milking the customers and, yes, control.

The tech landscape transforms straight into those b-movie sci fi flicks, where you always think how did the people let this sh*thole scenario happen. Well, now I know. They always forget to include the enablers known as "fanboys" in those movies.

And a funny sarcastic remark:

Bass wrote:Enough with the paranoid freetard talk. Our Corporate Benefactors always have Our interests in mind.

In fact, normal people like us Demand from Our Benefactors that the increasing amount of appliances we "own" should be remote controlled by our Corporate Benefactors with full Trusted root access. We are inherently Untrustworthy, we do not deserve any equal level of control over Our Electronics. Only our Corporate Benefactors are Trustworthy.

You should buy all the latest products like a Good Consumer and shut the hell up. Get with the times, you tinfoil hat wearing neckbeard.

!
30%

2013-03-27 01:58 »

Just do it, says Yahoo's teen app millionaire.

Got a tech idea and want to make a fortune before you're out of your teens? Just do it, is the advice of the London schoolboy who's just sold his smartphone news app to Yahoo for a reported $30 million.

The money is there, just waiting for clever new moves, said 17-year-old Nick D'Aloisio, who can point to a roster of early backers for his Summly app that includes Yoko Ono and Rupert Murdoch.

Another get-rich scam, selling the non-existing dream!

Sure sure, they are just waiting to give YOU millions! Hurry! Don't walk, run! Run run run!

What a bunch of pure bullshit. They are scamming the next generation of kids to lure them into thinking they can make millions just by making an "App". The same way they conned my generation into this by having Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as the poster boys for it all.

Kids! Listen up! Don't get conned by this! You will not make millions! You will be working your ass off in some corporation, below some complete moron as your boss who doesn't even know what a rootkit is.

At least in my days, people made "Applications" which were FREE TO DEPLOY, WHENEVER AND HOWEVER THE HELL YOU chose it. This time around, it's even worse! Now, not only you will lose a cool 30% of your profits, you must also apply for permission from your corporate overloads in order to even publish your "App" and for the icing on the cake, they will have full power to pull and delete your "App" ANYTIME they feel like it! Ah yeah, suck on that candy for a while!

eGZhenBwMTI=_o_is-dream-style-vacations-club-a-scam----video-proof.jpg
eGZhenBwMTI=_o_is-dream-style-vacations-club-a-scam----video-proof.jpg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 8279 times

!
30%

2013-03-30 15:10 »

They are really pushing it now, almost forcing people into it. Brainwashing the masses with articles all over the media. Here is another one just recently posted on Slashdot, The Twighlight of Small In-House Data Centers:

Virtualization, cloud services and software-as-a-service (SaaS) is making it much easier to shift IT infrastructure operations to service providers, and that is exactly what many users are doing. Of the new data center space being built in the U.S., service providers accounted for about 13% of it last year, but by 2017 they will be responsible for more than 30% of this new space, says IDC. 'We are definitely seeing a trend away from in-house data centers toward external data centers, external provisioning,' said Gartner analyst Jon Hardcastle. Among those planning for a transition is the University of Kentucky's CIO, who wants to reduce his data center footprint by half to two thirds. He expects in three to five years service provider pricing models 'will be very attractive to us and allow us to take most of our computing off of our data center.' IT managers says a big reason for the shift is IT pros don't want to work in data centers at small-to-mid size firms that can't offer them a career path. Hank Seader, managing principal of the Uptime Institute, said that it takes a 'certain set of legacy skills, a certain commitment to the less than glorious career fields to make data centers work, and it's hard to find people to do it.'

They are trying to put it inside peoples' heads that ah yeah man, having YOUR DATA inside YOUR HOME in YOUR HANDS is just the old way, legacy stuff. Just like Windows Desktop! Get with the times man! Come enter the invisible prison, it's for your own good! ...and the unwashed masses keep following.

Medieval_Morons.jpg
Medieval_Morons.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 8259 times

I, user.

2013-03-30 15:17 »

You know, not many, actually 99.9% of the people will not even understand what you are talking about. It will just fly above their heads but I commend you for doing it. The other 0.1% of us enjoy reading it.

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-03-31 07:19 »

Non Hic wrote:They are really pushing it now, almost forcing people into it.

Can this be too far off ...

3NjgBTf.jpg
3NjgBTf.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 8238 times

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-02 02:00 »

They can't take the heat! "Fool's design" account has now been banned in neowin.net. Yet another badge of honor. 8-)

All of these positive feedbacks you read on neowin.net about Windows 8 is not the reality because they REMOVE and BAN the ones who dislike Windows 8. When you remove everything negative about a product from the feedbacks, what is left is positive feedbacks making the product look popular.
:idea:

None of these "popular" forums are truly open. You are allowed in them as long as you get in line with their corporate agenda. Anything else is banned and deleted. The message they are sending is: You must not criticize your overloards!

138686_m.jpg
138686_m.jpg (137.92 KiB) Viewed 8245 times

!
30%

2013-04-02 17:55 »

"swheaties" raises a legitimate privacy issue...

swheaties wrote:Windows 8 speech sent to microsoft - Just bought a lumia 920, I absolutely love it its a beautiful phone. Its my second windows phone. I went to use the speech feature to compose a message and was amazed to see that I will "Send the words you speak and supporting data, including recent contact names to Microsoft..." Amazing. Unbelievable. If I speak an intimate message to my girlfriend, which I often do, I have all the employees at MS listening to me so they can "... improve the speech recognition service". Is there any ms employee here that will honestly say they will use the windows phone speech recognition service for private conversations without constantly wondering what dork in a server room somewhere is listening in?? Be honest. YES I KNOW the dork has access to every email and text message I send, every physical location visit and take my phone, where I surf on the internet, what I buy, where I buy, where I work, where I live, what I earn, my hobbies and interests. But now the dork is going to be STANDING IN THE SAME ROOM WITH ME while I speak a message to someone? What a complete and total intrusion. It actually changes what I will say and how I will say it. The thought that my message may be the joke of the day at Microsoft and their numerous "affiliates" will be constantly on my mind while I speak. I don't want to return this phone. I already returned an android. I'm going to try an iphone, if their privacy isn't any better it looks like I'm going to be back to a basic flip phone. I'm so bummed. I've never posted a video to youtube. I think I will post this feature on youtube to help others make an informed decision before they purchase a windows phone.

The chief executive officer of Sun Microsystems, Scott McNealy wrote:...consumer privacy issues are a "red herring." - "You have zero privacy anyway," Scott McNealy told a group of reporters and analysts ... at an event to launch his company's new Jini technology. "Get over it."

...but what else to expect but completely foolish answers, stuff like:

A sheep or a parrot repeating what his corporate overlord has told him to repeat. Like a robot, they run quickly to repeat the commandments from their overlords. It's for your own good!

p4326_extra1.jpg
p4326_extra1.jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 8238 times

The same kinds of repeaters sitting over there at Microsoft Channel 9 and give advice to people.
I guess the old adage is true; Be careful whose advice you buy!

Blissy

2013-04-03 10:05 »

Speaking of phones, I often wonder how cellular companies can get away with transmitting "sexting" pics of minors without getting any legal liability. I mean, they are directly responsible for transmitting the data, and you know there are evil pedo technicians fappin in the towers... xD

!
30%

2013-04-04 03:10 »

"Hidden due to low comment rating." is seen on way too many Web sites lately. The commenting sections with the "thumb up" or "thumb down" functionality, like a virus infection, spreads everywhere. One comment at a time, they are closing the gates. Unless you fall into the corporate agenda of each specific Web site, they clean out your comment. Mob mentality all the way. Another bar in the windows of this invisible prison.