Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
!
30%

2013-03-19 06:56 »

Out of the box, Chromebooks are even more locked down than Windows 8 machines.

People are, unsurprisingly, upset that Microsoft have imposed UEFI Secure Boot on the x86 market. A situation in which one company gets to determine which software will boot on systems by default is obviously open to abuse. What's more surprising is that many of the people who are upset about this are completely fine with encouraging people to buy Chromebooks.

Out of the box, Chromebooks are even more locked down than Windows 8 machines. The Chromebook firmware validates the kernel, and the kernel verifies the filesystem. Want to run a version of Chrome you've built yourself? Denied.

Some people don't like Secure Boot because they don't trust Microsoft. If you trust Google more, then a Chromebook is a reasonable choice. But some people don't like Secure Boot because they see it as an attack on user freedom, and those people should be willing to criticise Google's stance. Unlike Microsoft, Chromebooks force the user to choose between security and freedom. Nobody should be forced to make that choice.

Baby steps, one iron bar at a time!

prison-bars-png-i6.png
prison-bars-png-i6.png (130.07 KiB) Viewed 7692 times

!
30%

2013-03-19 07:09 »

Dying swans twisted wings, beauty not needed here
Lost my love, lost my life, in this garden of fear
I have seen many things, in a lifetime alone
Mother love is no more, bring this savage back home

Wilderness house of pain, makes no sense of it all
Close this mind dull this brain, Messiah before his fall
What you see is not real, those who know will not tell
All is lost sold your souls to this brave new world

A brave new world, in a brave new world
In a brave new world, a brave new world

Dragon kings dying queens, where is salvation now
Lost my life lost my dreams, rip the bones from my flesh
Silent screams laughing here, dying to tell you the truth
You are planned and you are damned in this brave new world

Dying swans twisted wings, bring this savage back home

- Iron Maiden : Brave New World.

!
30%

2013-03-19 11:37 »

Google Drive goes down for many users.

Google's status page showed a service disruption for the online storage site that left many people unable to access their online files this morning.

Wonderful "Cloud".

!
30%

2013-03-20 03:13 »

Microsoft now paying devs to submit Windows 8/Windows Phone apps.

Here is my contribution to your prison "store" Microsoft:

finger.jpg
finger.jpg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 7701 times

Best served without lubrication. Enjoy it!

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-03-20 23:14 »

Cloud haters: You too will be assimilated ( ZDNet 2013-03-18 )

Kn4TKun.jpg
Kn4TKun.jpg (13.92 KiB) Viewed 7694 times

!
30%

2013-03-21 00:47 »

CharlotteTheHarlot wrote:Cloud haters: You too will be assimilated ( ZDNet 2013-03-18 )...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Perlow
In 2008, Perlow was named a blogger for ZDNet, a division of CBS, where he currently holds the title of Senior Technology Editor.

Perlow was an Advisory Architect for IBM Global Technology Services's Server Optimization and Datacenter Relocation practice from September of 2007 to December of 2012. He now works for Microsoft in their Sales, Marketing and Services Group (SMSG) as a Technical Solution Professional and Partner Technology Advisor focusing on providing solutions for Cloud hosting providers.

"...He now works for Microsoft in their Sales, Marketing and Services Group (SMSG)..." ...he does not bite the hand that feeds him, that's for sure. 8-) He is pretty much "doing his job" writing that crap! Haha...

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-03-21 01:20 »

Saw your post at NeoWin, it was good.

The MetroTards are either busy playing Xbox or aren't smart enough to understand the scope of your post so they haven't bothered replying, yet.

!
30%

2013-03-21 01:32 »

CharlotteTheHarlot wrote:Saw your post at NeoWin, it was good.

The MetroTards are either busy playing Xbox or aren't smart enough to understand the scope of your post so they haven't bothered replying, yet.

Thanks! I agree that they are probably not smart enough to even get it, let alone debating it. Hm... AND busy playing xbox. haha
EDIT: I'm sure there are some smart people over there too, keeping an eye on stuff so hopefully some of them will start hanging out in here.

!
30%

2013-03-22 02:42 »

Non Hic wrote:Ad-blocking apps being removed from Google Play store.

LogicalApex wrote:No biggie. You just side load or your one of the decent alternative marketplaces and you're good to go. This won't bother the users who care.

People just don't get it. Here they are, thinking they own these devices but people don't even have administrator rights on these devices. Sure, you can "root" these things but that is not how things should be.

How long will it be, before Google also removes that little checkbox allowing the "side loading" just like Apple and Microsoft with their locked-in Orwellian walled prisons "gardens".

You can fix ignorant but cannot fix stupid. The majority will always be stupid.

It seems back now (http://www.neowin.net/news/adblock-plus ... d-shoulder) due to that little checkbox "allowing" the "side loading"... WHATEVER THE HELL THAT EVEN MEANS!

The goal is to get people used to the idea that your devices are not supposed to be "open". That you should not be able to install anything the hell you want on it.

This whole "side loading"-checkbox is creepy from the get go. Why the FUCK is it even there? Why the FUCK isn't MY device opened up like a PERSONAL computer SHOULD be? Why the FUCK do people accept this?

These bastards so called "journalists" which are nothing but paid shills keep writing about how this is now a "post PC world". Orwellian term which when at first you hear it, sounds so nice and modern... yeah man, PC is the old stuff, get with the program, this is post PC. By a post PC world they mean of course, a brave new world where all their "your" devices are locked down. Where you must ask permission from all these corporations to install anything on your device.

Let me repeat it ...your device ...YOUR device ...it means it is YOURS, NOT theirs! You do NOT rent it, you BUY it. It is YOURS.

...so WHY do people allow them to lock the devices in this manner? It's simple! Because they are fools, no better than the fools in middle ages.

Everything changes, everything remains the same.

EDIT: I mean, talk about having Sword of Damacles over your business when depending on these big corporations "allowing" you to use your device the way you want.

!
30%

2013-03-22 04:48 »

Amazon vanishes 1984 from citizen Kindles.

In an irony-filled moment that underlines the flaws of our increasingly digital society, Amazon has removed George Orwell's 1984 from America's Kindle ebook readers.

Copyright blaha blaha aside, one cannot but wonder and ponder how all of this "Cloud" craze will end up. Most probably, very badly for the citizens.

big-brother-poster.jpg
big-brother-poster.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 7685 times