Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
MasterOne

2014-02-07 14:13 »

(Subject:Law Would Mandate Backdoor in All Smatphones &Tablets)

This proposed law is the dumbest idea I've ever read -- mandating a backdoor in people's devices, and not giving them a choice on whether they want it or not. It reminds me of the Clipper chip story. I hope this thing gets quashed, but IQ's run so low in California, it may pass. California's lawmakers are voted in by idiots.

Politicians and law enforcement officials in California will introduce a bill on Friday that requires all smartphones and tablet PCs sold in the state be equipped with a digital "kill-switch" that would make the devices useless if stolen.

The bill is a response to a rise in thefts of portable electronics devices, often at knife or gunpoint, being seen across the state. Already half of all robberies in San Francisco and 75% of those in Oakland involve a mobile device and the number is rising in Los Angeles, according to police figures.

The trend is the same in major cities across the U.S. and the California bill, if it passes, could usher in kill-switch technology nationwide if phone makers choose not to produce custom devices for California.

California Senate bill 962 says all smartphones and tablet PCs sold from Jan. 1, 2015, should have "a technological solution that can render the essential features of the device inoperable when the device is not in possession of the rightful owner."

The proposed bill, a copy of which was seen by IDG News Service, doesn't specify the kill-switch technology. Carriers or phone makers will be able to design their own system in software, hardware or a combination of both, but once activated it should prevent phone calls, Internet access and the ability to run apps.

It will have to be resistant to a hard reset, attempts to return the device to factory condition or a downgrade of the operating system. Users should have the option of deactivating it if they don't want the protection, but retailers will be banned from offering such a service.

The bill proposes retailers will be subject to a fine of between $500 and $2,500 per device sold that doesn't include the technology. The fines won't target private sellers of second-hand phones.

It will be formally introduced in San Francisco on Friday morning by State Senator Mark Leno and San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon with the backing of the mayors and police chiefs of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Oakland.

Gascon and New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman have been leading a push by senior law enforcement figures to make smartphone makers address theft of their devices.

The work has targeted Apple, Samsung, Google and Microsoft and has already had some success.

Shortly after Gascon brought representatives of the four companies together, Apple introduced its iOS7 operating system with an activation lock feature. Samsung also responded to his call by installing the "Lojack for Mobile Devices" software on some of its phones, but it requires an annual subscription.

The bill is due to be heard in the California senate in the coming months.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... nd_tablets

Fool's design
3%

2014-02-07 14:55 »

@MasterOne,

If you don't mind, we merged your post into this topic because it was so fitting and also because many thousands follow this specific thread. Your post will be probably get more views in here. :idea:

!
30%

2014-02-07 14:58 »

Most likely the first steps. Maybe they will ban you from installing your own OS in these "smart devices". That is probably why they (media) keep referring to them as "phones" because they have brainwashed people into accepting a phone as a locked down Orwellian device but not a "small PC".

brain-fingerprint.jpg
brain-fingerprint.jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 5810 times

MasterOne

2014-02-07 16:00 »

Fool's design wrote:@MasterOne, If you don't mind, we merged your post into this topic because it was so fitting and also because many thousands follow this specific thread. Your post will be probably get more views in here. :idea:

Not at all; I just forgot about this thread for a moment. Thanks. :)

Non Hic wrote:Most likely the first steps. Maybe they will ban you from installing your own OS in these "smart devices". That is probably why they (media) keep referring to them as "phones" because they have brainwashed people into accepting a phone as a locked down Orwellian device but not a "small PC".

We just have to keep fighting these totalitarian idiots that want to take people's freedom away, under the guise of improving safety and preventing terrorism. I'm not buying any device with a mandatory backdoor that may also not let me install a custom OS.

!
30%

2014-02-07 16:05 »

MasterOne wrote:...I'm not buying any device with a mandatory backdoor that may also not let me install a custom OS...

Yes but what will you do when you are forced to have one? ;)

666_mark_of_the_beast.jpg
666_mark_of_the_beast.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 5806 times

Mark666.jpg
Mark666.jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 5806 times

!
30%

2014-02-07 18:48 »

These are the stalker cookies I get just by visiting the front page of MarketWatch. Creepy bastards.

Of course, I use Cookie Controller FireFox add-on in my main browser profile to prevent just any creep set a cookie in my PC to follow and track me.

cookies.png
cookies.png (15.3 KiB) Viewed 5803 times

creepy stalkers.PNG
creepy stalkers.PNG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 5803 times

Steven W
VIP

2014-02-08 06:00 »

I hope this thing gets quashed, but IQ's run so low in California, it may pass. California's lawmakers are voted in by idiots.

I could point out hundreds of cases of Diane Feinstein's stupidity, but I will let someone else's words do it for me. Those of us in the USA and England will, I believe, particularly appreciate the ignorance that she demonstrated during the incident described here:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/11/p ... o-and-more
(scroll down for the quoted section, if you visit that page)

I first became aware of and inspired by EFF in the same way I continue to be today. It was nearly 20 years ago after the OKC bombing, when the newly elected Senator Feinstein wanted to censor bomb making information from the internet. Mitch Kapor had been called to testify before the committee, and when he first spoke about First Amendment protections and free speech, Sen. Feinstein immediately piped up and said: I am sure when our forefathers sought to protect our right to free speech they did not mean those who would foster the violent overthrow of our lawful government. To which Mitch responded - Umm Senator? YES THEY DID. The next day I joined the EFF and have been a member ever since. Just like that day, EFF inspires me every day to be aware, to speak up and always remain vigilant, because Freedom is taken slowly when we are not looking.

!
30%

2014-02-09 01:38 »

To all those moronic developers who use their time and life to build "apps" for these Orwellian stores, instead of not participating and force all of these big corporations to truly unlock the devices...

Are you feeling like a slave yet? ;)

Apple removes popular Bitcoin app from iOS App Store.

This week Apple pulled a popular Bitcoin wallet app from their iOS app store, in a move which sparked significant outrage from the online community and developers alike.

The app, which is called Blockchain, had been downloaded close to 120,000 times in its two years on the app store. Despite no significant issues with the Bitcoin wallet in those two years, Apple still pulled it for "unresolved issues", according to a scathing response to Apple by the Blockchain developers. The developers noted their confusion with Apple's decision, stating:
Offering no explanation and no opportunity to address any issues, without any apparent change in circumstances other than the growing popularity of the independent and competitive payment system, Apple has eradicated their payment competition on iOS and left the bitcoin space entirely to competing mobile OSs like Google's Android. These actions by Apple once again demonstrate the anti-competitive and capricious nature of the App Store policies that are clearly focused on preserving Apple's monopoly on payments rather than based on any consideration of the needs and desires of their users.

The move also drew substantial criticism from some online communities. On reddit's virtual currency subforum /r/bitcoin, users smashed their iPhones and posted videos of the resulting damage in a protest against Blockchain's removal...

slavery2.jpg
slavery2.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 5791 times

bitcoin-iphone-send.jpg
bitcoin-iphone-send.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 5791 times

!
30%

2014-02-10 21:09 »

snake-slither-poison-evil122.jpg
snake-slither-poison-evil122.jpg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 5782 times

AT&T offers gigabit Internet discount in exchange for your Web history.

AT&T's "GigaPower" all-fiber network has launched in parts of Austin, Texas, with a price of $70 per month for download speeds of 300Mbps (which will be upgraded to a gigabit at no extra cost in 2014).

The $70 price is only available if you agree to see targeted ads from AT&T and its partners, however. Interestingly, AT&T labels the Internet service with targeted ads as its "premier" service while calling the service without targeted ads "standard."

A footnote in the announcement notes that the lower premier price "is available with your agreement to participate in AT&T Internet Preferences. AT&T may use your Web browsing information, like the search terms you enter and the Web pages you visit, to provide you relevant offers and ads tailored to your interests."

big-eye-640x502.jpg
big-eye-640x502.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 5782 times

MasterOne

2014-02-11 13:54 »

I hadn't booted into a Windows machine for a while, so I did and logged into Skype. I was dismayed to see that there are new ads that rear their ugly ass heads right in a message window, despite unticking the two options in the Skype options dialogue related to ads. Someone posted a tutorial on blocking the ads by going into IE's settings, but I didn't try this and don't know if it worked then, still does, and will in the future. Not much difference between this and the ads forced upon users in the Modern Start screen, so I'm not surprised. Is Microsoft trying to make up for dismal Windows 8.x sales by riddling their applications with ads? I guess Skype's free nature was too good to be true. I'm the kind of person that finds any type of banner ad in an application very intrusive, and use ABP for web browsing. I am okay with ads on sites if they meet ABP's standards for non-intrusive advertising, so I keep the option: "allow some non-intrusive advertising" checked. The case with Skype, however, is that Microsoft was already making money off it the way it was. By default, it used to (and still does) show ads at the bottom of the contact list and in a message window. If a user resized the message window, the ads shown there (not the new ones this post is about) would go away. I always resized the window during a call because the ads were fucking annoying. Below you can read some reactions of Skype users:

http://community.skype.com/t5/ideas/v2/ ... le-id/116/

You also gotta love how the new ads are named "Ad Choices"...yeah, like people really have a choice over which shitty ad they see, which, mind you, is a banner at the top of the window. I wonder what new shitty unfeatures will come with the next version of Skype?

george-carlin-stupid-people.jpg
george-carlin-stupid-people.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 5781 times

6inw.png
6inw.png (109.65 KiB) Viewed 5781 times