Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
MasterOne

2014-05-12 23:58 »

A few months ago Darren posted about some experiments we wanted to do with the new tab page. It didn't go over well.

Of course it didn't go over well. FOSS is supposed to be what the users want the software to be, not what a company wants the software to be. The fact that Mozilla has publicly came out saying "it didn't go over well", just shows that they are another untrustworthy and greedy company hiding behind the benevolent front of an open source project. Do not be fooled. It's unfortunate that so many people cannot think for themselves and have to be told what things mean and why things are happening, but fortunately in this case enough people whose brains are functioning correctly actually responded and said "no".

A lot of our community found the language hard to decipher, and worried that we were going to turn Firefox into a mess of logos sold to the highest bidder; without user control, without user benefit.

Of course they found it hard to decipher; there are a multitude of not-so-intelligent people walking this earth and who use the Firefox browser that need to be protected by people who are smarter than them. That is how and why tyrannical governments in the United States don't form, and why we have the second amendment -- it isn't there for duck hunting. Mozilla would go to any extent to put as many ads and spy features in Firefox as people would put up with. When the people fight back, Mozilla's efforts to capitalize by means of corporate greed fail.

That's not going to happen. That's not who we are at Mozilla.

Mr. Nightingale, now you are flat out lying. First, let me reword that for you: "that's not going to happen now that we've come under scrutiny". And as far as saying "that's not who we are at Mozilla", this is really a laughable statement. It's just PR bullshit, and you have came up with a pile of lies in attempts to dissuade buffoons. Well let me tell you: you do not fool me, nor does your company.

But we will experiment. In the coming weeks, we'll be landing tests on our pre-release channels to see whether we can make things like the new tab page more useful, particularly for fresh installs of Firefox, where we don't yet have any recommendations to make from your history.

Translation: In the coming weeks, we're going to see whether or not we can mind fuck our users some more, to shove ads down their throat through other means since our last attempt failed. Even though "we" know that "we" don't need to make your tab page more useful, our executives want bigger houses and new BMW's and Mercedes-Benz vehicles, as the new models have features that we need to survive.

We'll test a mix of our own sites and other useful sites on the Web. We'll mess with the layout. These tests are purely to understand what our users find helpful and what our users ignore or disable - these tests are not about revenue and none will be collected. Sponsorship would be the next stage once we are confident that we can deliver user value.

Translation: The paragraph that I wrote here is intentionally convoluted and not to the point because I am a lying psychopath. We'll mess with your mind as we mess with the layout. These tests are purely a test to understand how we can mind fuck our users and be helpful to ourselves, and see what they will put up with. We know many people are really stupid and/or sometimes just too busy to discern their head from their ass, and we can surreptitiously do things to people because we want to keep our lavish lifestyle going.

In the sentence: "these tests are not about revenue and none will be collected", you have to keep in mind how psychopaths function. What we have here is a lie and the truth in the same sentance. The lie is that it's not about revenue, and the truth is that none will be collected. If we really further analyze it, he means that no revenue will be collected at this time, until we see what we can get away with.

We'll experiment on Firefox across platforms, and we'll talk about what we learn before anything ships to our release users. And we'll keep listening for feedback and suggestions to make this work better for you. Because that's who we are at Mozilla.

Johnathan Nightingale
VP Firefox

Here, Mr. Nightingale is just repeating himself because he really doesn't know how to communicate his lies efficiently to the public. That's the thing about lying psychopaths -- they're not that hard to detect, but many people don't detect them. What he's saying, again, is that they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with and what users will put up with. He's saying: "we're seeing how far was can mind fuck you using mind bending methods".

You know what, Mr. Nightingale, I have one thing to say to you: Go to hell.

hell_forever_and_ever.jpg
hell_forever_and_ever.jpg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 8191 times

!
30%

2014-05-13 00:13 »

It takes me several add-ons to make FireFox usable to way I want it. It seems that perhaps soon, we must compile our own version of FireFox to remove the crap they try to shove up our wazoos. :evil:

Steven W
VIP

2014-05-13 00:18 »

This link is a bit dated, but I suppose it demonstrates the future of Mozilla and perhaps was the beginning of the bullshit your pointing out.:

https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingconte ... he-center/

Users at the Center

I'm trying not to laugh.

While Mozilla hasn't always seen eye-to-eye with all viewpoints in the digital content community, particularly the IAB, we think they'd agree that users' interests should come first, and we want to help their members deliver compelling content to strengthen the Web ecosystem. So, when IAB Chairman Randall Rothenberg invited Mozilla to participate and share our views at their Annual Leadership Meeting this week, we jumped at the chance. One of the main themes being explored at the meeting is Publisher Transformation, so I contributed Mozilla's perspective and latest activities in a speech to attendees this morning.

Well Mozilla and the IAB got together, huh? Just so you know what the IAB is:

The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) is comprised of more than 600 leading media and technology companies that are responsible for selling 86% of online advertising in the United States. On behalf of its members, the IAB is dedicated to the growth of the interactive advertising marketplace, of interactive's share of total marketing spend, and of its members' share of total marketing spend. The IAB educates marketers, agencies, media companies and the wider business community about the value of interactive advertising. Working with its member companies, the IAB evaluates and recommends standards and practices and fields critical research on interactive advertising. Founded in 1996, the IAB is headquartered in New York City with a Public Policy office in Washington, D.C. For more information, please visit iab.net.

Complete with a "Public Policy" Office in good 'ol D.C! Hmm. Oh boy!

techtalk.cc
100%

2014-05-13 00:25 »

@MasterOne,

A small note about you cross re-posting this in the Entering the invisible prison, feudalism in IT.

The cross re-posting is not a problem as it fits the subject but please make sure to re-upload the image rather than linking to the same image because we have an anti hot linking module active.

If you use a direct URL from one of our images, the image will not show up and instead, you will see a banner for foolsdesign.org or techtalk.cc.

We have uploaded your image and attached it to your second post, however. So no worries! :D

Ps. Also corrected your broken quote and deleted your second post and merged it into your original post for you. ::thumbup::

!
30%

2014-05-13 00:47 »

Seriously, I don't think it should be too hard to recompile FireFox and remove all that crap. Just read a "rumour" (LOL, them bastards and their "rumours". The new word they use instead of "leaks" to test the waters. It's obvious that these are fully controlled and not real rumours.) ...anyway, just read one of those at Neowin about "Windows 365", Windows for rent I suppose.

So basically, if they start to force that shit and I have to move to Linux (Slackware, most likely), I might as well start to compile my own FireFox as well. :mrgreen:

Goodbye_Blue_Sky_by_Hikari912.jpg
Goodbye_Blue_Sky_by_Hikari912.jpg (246.18 KiB) Viewed 8187 times

Steven W
VIP

2014-05-13 00:54 »

http://consumerist.com/2014/02/11/mozil ... n-firefox/

Which is why it's a bit of a head scratcher to hear that Mozilla - the company that once ticked off the advertising industry by announcing plans to test a patch to block third party cookies by default - will now be displaying ads right from inside its browser.

. and it made the big reveal at the annual IAB conference.

MasterOne

2014-05-14 04:52 »

techtalk.cc wrote:please make sure to re-upload the image rather than linking to the same image because we have an anti hot linking module active.

techtalk.cc wrote:We have uploaded your image and attached it to your second post, however. So no worries! :D

techtalk.cc wrote:Ps. Also corrected your broken quote and deleted your second post and merged it into your original post for you. ::thumbup::

Got it, and thanks. :)

Non Hic wrote:Seriously, I don't think it should be too hard to recompile FireFox and remove all that crap. Just read a "rumour" (LOL, them bastards and their "rumours". The new word they use instead of "leaks" to test the waters. It's obvious that these are fully controlled and not real rumours.) ...anyway, just read one of those at Neowin about "Windows 365", Windows for rent I suppose.

That is true, and a fork can always come about, but it bothers me how Mozilla is handling this FOSS project. Corporations and corporate politics so many times destroy a good thing. Mozilla should focus on creating a good lightweight browser and fix FF's memory leaks, rather than worry about lining their pockets. Fix the memory leaks first, then find other ways to extend the install base.

!
30%

2014-05-14 14:49 »

I personally haven't had any issues with FireFox eating up memory but it might be because I am a spoiled brat with 32GB RAM. :mrgreen:

Steven W
VIP

2014-09-01 03:34 »

http://www.computerworld.com/article/26 ... eview.html

Current users of Firefox Nightly, who have their tiles already filled with sites they often visit, can see the sponsored and unsponsored tiles by deleting the existing ones on their new tab page.

MasterOne

2014-09-01 15:01 »

Of course they're trying to move forward with this fucking retarded idea all for the sake of lining the pockets of some money-grubbing whores. I hope the community is as against this lame idea as I and pushes back. Mozilla is already a browser losing big market share to Chrome, so Mozilla is acting very cocky. FOSS is not supposed to have ads. If you want ads, use proprietary software. It's plain and simple.