Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
MasterOne

2014-11-19 16:55 »

The Mozilla "Foundation" went ahead with their idiotic plan on shoving ads down users' throats. They are completely defying open source and free software concepts, and everybody should fight back against this hideous move. I took a look at version 33.1 on a Windows machine, and even though the ads can be shut off by clicking the gear icon in the upper right corner, it's the principal that the functionality is even there which also matters. It shows that Mozilla is only concerned about their "foundation", and are using the cloak of free software to carry out their subtle and surreptitious plan to increase their revenue. Also, the problem with this move is, what's next? If people accept this and don't fight it, then Mozilla will go even further and put more ads in the browser. Sure, they can be turned off now by clicking the gear icon, but maybe in the future things will get different. Mozilla did analytics on users earlier to see how much shit they were willing to have flung at their face, so this is just another experiment by Mozilla to see at which point they can make it very difficult or impossible to shut the ads off. I wouldn't be surprised if there's spying going on and data which is sent back to a central server tracking the user, as far as when they opened a tab page, when they clicked on an ad, when they didn't click on an ad, or when all place holders were full (showing no ads). The last example in the aforementioned list would be an opportunity for Mozilla to use analytics to determine how to show even more ads to users when all the place holders are full. It's just like Microsoft: Microsoft will take as much leeway as customers give them. People give an inch, and they take a mile. As soon as people start complaining about intrusive and nasty spy features, Microsoft pulls back a little bit, but they're not pulling back much (and neither are a lot of other software companies), as people are in what I call "malaise-mode" -- an apathetic state where they are mesmerized by their smartphone, tablet, and Netflix.

Among the initial advertisers in the new tab page were CVS Health, the company that operates the CVS chain of drug stores, and Booking.com, a travel and accommodation site that's part of Priceline.

Sponsored tiles will occupy one or more of the thumbnails that appear in the Firefox new tab page -- the number of thumbnails depends on the size of the browser window, but appears to max out at 15 -- which historically has displayed a user's most-frequently-accessed websites.

Mozilla's original ad pitch said that only new Firefox users would see the sponsored tiles, a way to fill some of the spots that had not yet been populated with websites. Long-time Firefox users were to see only their most-frequently-visited sites.

That's not quite how it now works.

"A separate feature, Enhanced Tiles, will improve upon the existing new tab page experience for users who already have a history in their browser," Darren Herman, Mozilla's vice president of content services -- a relatively new position in the organization -- said in a blog post today.

It's gonna improve upon my existing new tab page experience! Fuck yeah...this is what I've been wanting all along! I want to see lots of ads, right in my browser. Thanks Mozilla!

Herman promised that Mozilla would not collect the kind of user data that most ad networks vacuum up. "Running sponsored content in Tiles is results-based, not surveillance-based,"Herman said. "We do not allow tracking beacons or code in Tiles."

By "results-based,"Herman meant that Mozilla will tell advertisers how many times their tile was clicked.

Pretty much sounds like a load of bullshit.

Herman also said that the current version of the new tab page ads might not resemble those of the future. "We believe that we can do this, and offer a better way to deliver and to receive adverts that users find useful and relevant," Herman added.

Exactly what I wrote above. Note the keyword, "better". Fuck Mozilla and their stupid "foundation".

http://www.computerworld.com/article/28 ... refox.html

!
30%

2014-11-20 04:11 »

You know, without a ton of add-ons, FireFox is 100% unusable. I CANNOT stand the new tab page. I set it to full blank but even that gear icon BUGGS THE HELL OUT OF ME so I have set a Web site (techtalk.cc :clap:) to be my new tabe page.

I think we are "fine" (if you an call it that) as long as this browser is open source. I have been pondering a while now to compile my own FireFox and pull the shit off of it.

Look, I fully understand that these idiots sellouts whores people can't live off air and that they need money to survive but their way is so wrong.

They could EASILY have an option, for example, make a paid version, STILL OPEN SOURCED OF COURSE, but like, take money for the "service" of not putting the ad-functions in that version. I know, it's sounds like protection money but still, I even would be able to accept that and pay them so that I myself wouldn't have to compile the fucking thing...

...but nooo, no options. This is the brave new world of computers. Tear down and pull out all kinds of "options" the users might get. Microsoft is doing this. Google is doing this. Mozilla is doing it and probably many others are. I don't know why and when this insanity started but I sure as hell don't like it.

I don't mind simple software for "regular" people. Surely, "regular" people don't like to see 100 checkboxes and drop down lists or whatnot BUT there are other people who DO like options. What good is "software" (THERE IS A REASON IT IS SOFT, FOR FUCK SAKE, NOT HARD) if we can't get options? What good are these bastards morons "developers" if all they are creating is just "yet another generic remote control for TV Internet so other idiots can watch funny cats on GooTube? :sick: :sick: :sick: ...no really, what good are they? No wonder their jobs are outsourced. Any moron can make a generic junk and that's why their jobs are outsourced to cheaper places where they hire cheaper morons. (No offence to the people in those countries, of course. Lots of smart people in India, China etc.)

Disgusting.

tumblr_inline_mpdzzzb2AJ1qj9472.gif
tumblr_inline_mpdzzzb2AJ1qj9472.gif (498.21 KiB) Viewed 5522 times

Scorpius

2014-11-20 04:38 »

Being a whore is a respectable profession. The oldest one. I respect all whores. It is a hard job.

Not digital whores, however. :evil:

neopolitan-prostitute-1920.jpg
neopolitan-prostitute-1920.jpg (100.46 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

TmEE
VIP

2014-11-27 02:29 »

There is a firefox that is proper. It is called Pale Moon. Stop riding the fox, go to moon instead ~~~

Steven W
VIP

2014-12-04 23:11 »

I just downloaded generic Firefox from mozilla.org for Linux, so nothing custom, just straight-up Firefox. Take a look at this screenshot:

firefox.png
firefox.png (126.31 KiB) Viewed 5483 times

Bear in mind, this is essentially the first run. Let's take a look at what's going on. After introducing ads in the damn thing, the foundation decides to beg for money in Firefox first run. Lovely. Notice the "drop-down" with additional "pop-out" menu coming from the search bar? I see we're trying to make sure that everyone knows that Google has alternatives. There's a similar drop-down and pop-out the first time you open a new tab (perhaps I should say new ads page). Here's a hint Mozilla:

Your user-base in decline. Most of your users already know how to change that and those that don't can easily figure it out. Now, direct your eyes to the bottom of the screenshot. I appreciate being told this and given the opportunity to stop this information from being sent, however all of this together during a first run is way too much. The combination of all of this is fucking annoying.

Mozilla, people used to love you. You used to offer a small, yet competent browser. Given your new attitude toward advertising, the bloated size of Firefox in its current state, the new version every week and the declining user experience, I sincerely believe that you user base is in for more of a decline. I sincerely encourage rethinking your strategies. :wave:

!
30%

2014-12-05 01:51 »

OH GOD!!! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!! I DOWNLOADED FIREFOX VERSION 34 AND THESE MOTHERFUCKERS!!! TOOK ME 30 MINUTES OF GOOGLING TO FIND HOW TO REMOVE THE MOTHERFUCKING DUCKDUCKGO AND THE DROP-DOWN MENU FROM THE SEARCH BOX.

IMAGINE YOU COME TO WORK AND EACH DAY, SOMEONE REARRANGES, REMOVES AND/OR ADDS STUFF ON YOUR DESK WITHOUT ASKING YOU AND ALSO WITHOUT ALLOWING YOU TO CHANGE THINGS BACK THE WAY YOU LIKED IT.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THEIR MOTHERFUCKING PROBLEM?

HAS EVERYONE GONE INSANE?

YES, ALL CAPS... I AM VERY VERY VERY ANGRY AND TIRED OF THIS GAME. I HOPE ALL OF THESE SONS OF BITCHES WHO DECIDE SHIT LIKE THIS BURN IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY!!! MY HANDS WERE SHAKING OF ANGER FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR AFTER THE FIREFOX 34 UPDATE.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

horr.jpg
horr.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 5478 times

!
30%

2014-12-05 01:54 »

I was so angry, I couldn't even post about it. Really glad you did because I did not have the energy to even take a screenshot from that thing. I JUST WANTED IT ALL GONE THE SECOND I SAW IT. :sick: :sick: :sick:

!
30%

2014-12-05 01:56 »

Ps. DEAR MOZILLA... FUCK YOU.

FuckToy_Deep_Fist_Fuck_9615.jpg
FuckToy_Deep_Fist_Fuck_9615.jpg (884.17 KiB) Viewed 5478 times

Steven W
VIP

2014-12-05 03:38 »

I just got a hold of Seamonkey, it's like a breath of fresh air. I find it hard to believe that they're under the Mozilla umbrella too.

Non Hic, how do you really feel? :lol:

!
30%

2014-12-05 04:55 »

Pissed off! hahahahha... I have to give Seamonkey a try when I get a chance. :clap: