Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
techtalk.cc
100%

2013-04-05 19:59 »

The music thread, because some things cannot be described by words.

Feel free to post your favorite music in here or whatever you are currently listening to. Always fun to discover new tunes.

We shall go first... SLAY Radio »

SLAY Radio is an internet-based radio station, transmitting from Gothenburg (Göteborg) in Sweden and relaying to several other relays. Normally, it automatically plays from its internal playlist of Commodore 64 remixes that have mainly come from R:K:O and the commercial CDs at C64Audio.com.

!
30%

2013-04-05 20:05 »

0D0A, excellent unique music!

*waves hello to Black Phoenix* :D :lol: :D

86196092-grizzly-bear.jpg
86196092-grizzly-bear.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 28393 times

!
30%

2013-05-22 13:25 »

Les Friction - Louder than words.

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-05-30 18:00 »

Just happen to be listening to this ...

... Priest just finished their final tour and this song is a preview for the DVD that will be coming out. Details here.

KK Downing is not in the video, he didn't tour, they have a replacement ( adequate but copies Zak Wylde too much ). Halford sounds absolutely great. The monster is Scott Travis on drums as usual. And it is such a throwback to the 1970's Judas Priest!

Explanation: I saw quite a few of the 1978-1979 Hell Bent / Unleashed shows before and after they lost the great Les Binks on drums. Real hardcore fans know where I'm going with this. :lol:

Binks was a motherfucker on drums, IMHO second only to Neil Peart for skillz in that era. He was recorded on Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leather ( aka 'Killing Machine' ) and finally Unleashed in the East live. Then they released British Steel ( where this song originates ) but with a pathetic excuse for a drummer called Dave Holland. Consequently the songs sound like low-budget drum machine filler tunes.

Eventually they got Scott Travis and released the most amazing songs with radical tempo changes and a return to their roots. The video above shows what would have happened if they kept Les Binks into 1980 for British Steel. All those crappy songs would have become monsters. Just break out the older albums and listen to 'Exciter' and 'Delivering The Goods' to see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: forgot to mention that for this DVD recording they used the old wide stereo separation method that was last used on 'Unleashed', with guitars panned wide left and right ( new guy left, Tipton right ) so guitar players will love this one. So many live albums mix them too tightly in recent years. I like it the old way.

P.S. that is the weirdest thing having to leave the quotes out of the URL= in a link tag! With them in it will not work!

!
30%

2013-05-31 03:29 »

I have actually "discovered" Judas Priest pretty recently. Even though I listen to Iron Maiden, somehow I didn't know about them until like a month ago. *lol* They got great stuff. Here are two personal favorites:

Of course, it's facinating how most music, especially hard rock is very "biblical" in nature. Example album and names: "Angel of retribution", "Deal with the Devil", "Demonizer", "Wheels of fire", "Angel" etc.

Ezekiel 1:4 - 1:11: And I look, and lo, a tempestuous wind is coming from the north, a great cloud, and fire catching itself, and brightness to it round about, and out of its midst as the colour of copper, out of the midst of the fire. And out of its midst is a likeness of four living creatures, and this is their appearance; a likeness of man is to them, and four faces are to each, and four wings are to each of them, and their feet are straight feet, and the sole of their feet is as a sole of a calf's foot, and they are sparkling as the colour of bright brass; and hands of man under their wings -- on their four sides, and their faces and their wings -- are to them four; joining one unto another are their wings, they turn not round in their going, each straight forward they go. As to the likeness of their faces, the face of a man, and the face of a lion, toward the right are to them four, and the face of an ox on the left are to them four, and the face of an eagle are to them four. And their faces and their wings are separate from above, to each are two joining together, and two are covering their bodies.

Very interesting stuff. :shock:

CharlotteTheHarlot wrote:...P.S. that is the weirdest thing having to leave the quotes out of the URL= in a link tag! With them in it will not work!

Indeed. Foolishly designed. 8-)

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-06-01 00:17 »

There is also a strange Microsoft-esque angle to the Judas Priest 1980 transition. Myself and others often tried to find out what happened during those years, without computers or an internet and it was difficult to find any facts in those days. And Judas Priest has once of the worst management operations going, from publicity to liner notes they sucked at information.

So Priest had been playing for like 7 years by 1980, the last 5 of those were heavy metal and those last couple 1977-1979 with Les Binks were pretty much unprecedented. It was proto-Maiden, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer all rolled into one. Aggressive and biblical. The sudden change was like Windows 8. From a thundering drummer to a drum machine and from heavy metal with fantasy lyrics to pop garbage overnight. Tipton was heard in videos ( they had these things called VCRs ... :lol: ) saying they wanted to make more radio-friendly stuff ( aiming Windows at the MetroTards ). And get this, Tipton was heard many times saying that the drums ( Les Binks ) was too much double-bass with big fills and the like. It was distracting ( dated and cheesy? ) so they got someone with a simple, steady beat. Never had anyone ever misunderstood their fan base the way that Tipton did ( or Ballmer ).

So about 10 years of Dave Holland doing drum machine style tracks and the tamped down lyrics inspired by it gave us "Breakin the Law" and "Living After Midnight" and "You got Another Thing Coming" and "Turbo". Now, don't get me wrong, there is potential in some of them ( hence the point to the above video ). But the contrast to "Exciter" and "Beyond The Realms of Death" and "Delivering The Goods" and "Evil Fantasies" is like night and day. I should point out that when "British Steel" and then "Point Of Entry" was released it was a huge downgrade, but as is often the case they began to look better over time, especially by "Turbo".

Eventually Holland exits and Scott Travis enters, "Painkiller" is released, and wham, all in one shot every single word that Tipton said is contradicted in a huge way. So Tipton should phone up Les Binks ( still playing local gigs around Birmingham in small bars where average guitar players jam with him ) and apologize. He should have been invited to some of the final shows also.

I shall call him MicroTipton. The Steven Sinofsky of Heavy Metal!

P.S. if you just learned about Judas Priest it is pretty cool for you. Get the albums in order to experience what we all did. Note that they really break into groups of three, it is a stunning coincidence ...

--- proto-Priest
Rocka Rolla
Sad Wings Of Destiny
Sin After Sin
--- Binks
Stained Class
Hell Bent For Leather ( aka "Killing Machine" )
Unleashed In The East
--- Holland (weak)
British Steel
Point Of Entry
Screaming For Vengeance
--- Holland (weaker)
Defenders Of The Faith
Turbo
Ram It Down
--- Travis
Painkiller
Jugulator ( no Halford )
Demolition ( no Halford )
--- Halford returns
Angel Of Retribution
Nostradamus
( pending )

Skip the mixed box sets ( at least at first ) because they are being too clever by half by mixing the chronology up. This is one case where it really matters!

!
30%

2013-06-01 02:21 »

Thank you. I think they have almost all of the albums on Spotify so I'll try to listen to them in that order next week. Always fun to discover new music. :relaxed:

And because this is a music thread, I must post a song each time I reply so here goes:
:D

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-06-01 03:01 »

We'll have to get around to a tribute for Clive Burr.

No longer with us.

Such a sad year thus far.

!
30%

2013-06-01 08:59 »

Whaaat, Clive Burr died!??? Damn! :o :(

EDIT:

Clive Burr, ex-Iron Maiden drummer, dead at 56.

Clive Burr, the former drummer of Iron Maiden, died last night at the age of 56. Burr had been suffering from multiple sclerosis, and he died in his sleep.

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-06-03 11:45 »

Bookmark this site ... http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/

And here are their archives ... http://archive.classicrockmagazine.com/browse

... where they are scanning and OCR'ing their back issues and placing them online.

You can either thank me for those links, or curse me ( :lol: ) because I may have just caused you days or weeks of lost work while you backtrack through the older entries.

Now we just need Kerrang! to so the same!