Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
EMPTORXC
0%

2013-08-12 17:59 »

@ TmEE, [ISA]"That slot does NOT work as is" . Yeah;
for ICH5 and below, ISA can and should work OK.
For ICH6 and up, the ICH itself no longer has all the necessary hardware
functionality built-in for ISA; so e.g. a PCI-to-ISA bridge (chip)
can't intrinsically support ISA DMA & ISA Bus Master transactioning.
If using instead a LPC-TO-ISA bridge (chip) then DMA maybe available
via 'LPC DMA compatible function', & (depending on LPC chip) maybe/maybe
not ISA Bus mastering, maybe/maybe not ISA memory mapped transactions.
That's as I understand it from Intel's short overview of it here;
http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/318244.pdf
and a quick look at some of the bridge chip makers pdf's.
MMmmmmmm..., your motherboard manual states for the FINTEK F85226FG
LPC-to-ISA chip "By conditions; fully ISA bridge support except bus
master and DMA function", but the FINTEK F85226FG datasheet states;
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet- ... 226FG.html
"Fully ISA bridge support except bus master by conditions" and the pdf
version history shows that sentence was inserted (because)'revised features'
- possibly the DMA functionality was always there, just a typo occured? Cheers

TmEE
VIP

2013-08-12 18:03 »

The board has fully working ISA slot but not in the default condition. The LPC bus only sees accesses that are specifically forwarded to it so I wrote an utility that sets up the ICH7 LPC IO ranges aswell as the LPC to ISA bridge chip.
DMA, IRQs etc all work flawlessly, only problem is that it is a 3.3V slot and some cards will not play nice in it as they expect 5V from the signal lines. Bus mastering does not work but I do not know any ISA card that actually takes over the machine to poke data directly into the machines memory space. DMA is not bus mastering, and yes the manual is wrong about not supporting DMA.

The board does not come with any utilites to set up the ISA slot for use, so they basically sold you a dud... luckily I know my way around hardware and software :P
I'll make the setup utility available at a later date, there's some stuff I got to sort out first.

This should really be in that empty hardware subforum :P

Drugwash

2013-08-16 10:32 »

TeDDy wrote:Drugwash, You are a saviour. Thank you. My torrent download is still pending, with no future of finishing soon.
Is there an automated method available for drivers install (like dpinst.exe for w2k/XP)? I mean, install all not detected drivers?
A script/bash/program to trigger hal detection? Everything to avoid click+update driver...

Thank you in advance

You're welcome!
Sorry for late reply, I always forget to check back in when there's no mail notifications of replies. :oops:

As far as I know, these packs are just self-extracting archives with no autorun or any installation script. Of course, such script could be done but it would take some time to do it right, time that I currently do not have, sadly. :(

@ TmEE: Are those packs of yours still available? Have you checked for that error reported somewhere above? And do they accept Resume so I could use FlashGet? I might wanna grab them, but I'm on limited bandwidth now, only ~14kB/s just like old modems, so it might take a very long time.

TmEE
VIP

2013-08-16 12:09 »

I really don't know if my server software supports resumable downloads or has any time limits on the files.
All the files are available individually in the http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES
Thunder season is over and I got no reason to turn off the server, so uptime should permit days long download sessions.

Drugwash

2013-08-17 12:01 »

Thank you. I've already started a WinHTTrack session to mirror your server locally, since FlashGet can't deal with folder structure in HTTP - doesn't even do it right in FTP. On this occasion I noticed many files have unusually small sizes compared to what they should be (in my opinion).

For example, win2kddk.exe, win98ddk.exe, RP967.EXE, RP971.EXE and others, most obvious of them being AutoPatcher98.Dec07_FULL_Final.exe which should have 300,373,004 bytes and is only 80,869,456 bytes (as downloaded on my HDD by WinHTTrack) as well as AutoPatcher98.Dec08_UPGRADE.exe which is only 8,650,184 bytes as opposed to 47,558,413 bytes as my old copy is.

I haven't seen any timeout or retry failed errors in the log, but at the same time the file sizes reported by your server seem correct, so I suppose there could be a bug in WinHTTrack or some other HTTP-related issue. Strange thing is other files were downloaded properly, CRC check succeeds on them.

I have also tried on a small file seconds ago (RP967.EXE reported broken above) and FlashGet shows it supports 'Resume' so they all probably support it as well. And FlashGet downloaded the file correctly, no corruption.

Weird thing! I'll keep digging, because this might be indication that I have screwed up other previous mirrors and that would be a disaster. :(

Drugwash

2013-08-17 13:33 »

Argh, it was WinHTTrack! Damn! :evil: I updated to v3.47-23 (was 3.47-18) and it resumed downloading 169.21 forceware and AutoPatcher Full (for now). I think I might have a few dozen GB of corrupt stuff on my drives because of this faulty software. :(

My ISP only allows me 5GB of download monthly with full GPRS speed (~400-500kB/s), then it falls down to 14kB/s, just like old 14400 bps modems 25-30 years ago. Just wonderful! :cry:

!
30%

2013-08-17 14:44 »

Drugwash wrote:...My ISP only allows me 5GB of download monthly with full GPRS speed (~400-500kB/s), then it falls down to 14kB/s, just like old 14400 bps modems 25-30 years ago. Just wonderful! :cry:

Wow, that is one sucky ISP! :<

Drugwash

2013-08-17 16:29 »

Yeah, but I only pay about $5/month for this connection, because I'm unemployed and can't afford fiberlink. So it's probably fair enough. Downside is they don't allow me to put up a quick HTTP/FTP server to give others access to my drivers, apps and whatnot, as TmEE does. And recently, the bastards destroyed FileDen where I had some of my own apps hosted for my blog friends and also some banners done for Problemchyld's Service Pack and other files. I always knew relying on public servers is a huge mistake. :cry:

!
30%

2013-08-17 16:58 »

Ah, that explains the crappy bandwidth. It sucks to be out of work, for sure. My own work is feeling a bit unstable too at the moment so I might be in your situation in the coming months. :(

Indeed, never ever trust "cloud" storage. You know what they say, if you can't touch it, you don't own it! :lol: They can up and vanish any second.

Drugwash

2013-08-17 23:42 »

This is plain theft. But there's so many other serious issues with this world that "losing" a few software files seems completely unimportant.
I've been unemployed for the last 22 years. Got used to it in the end. Actually, the end is yet to come. Couldn't care less.