Maintenance, installation and repair.
Steven W
VIP

2015-02-21 06:59 »

I call this a potential fix because I know it works for me and I'm not sure about other configurations/hardware and some may need what I remove.

broadcom_fix.jpg
broadcom_fix.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 16939 times

Removing Client for Microsoft Networks seems to fix the issue. I usually go in and add Microsoft Family Logon, which means a second visit to Networking in the Control Panel to remove Client for Microsoft Networks again. From then on you'll get the message your network is incomplete every time you open the Control Panel applet and have to click yes, but who the hell cares?

Net_incomplete.jpg
Net_incomplete.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 16939 times

Steven W
VIP

2019-09-08 06:22 »

I can be a bit thick sometimes.

I occurs to me that because of a bug in Win9x that I could simply try unbinding:

https://www.grc.com/su-rebinding9x.htm
To recap: All versions of Windows 9x have an annoying bug that causes installed network components without any bindings to "disappear" from the Network properties listing. This occurs even though they are still installed and functioning! Subsequent reconfiguration becomes difficult since the component's listing has disappeared and this disappearing trick will mislead and confuse anyone who later attempts to examine the system's configuration. Microsoft has presumably never even noticed this bug.

Since they bind everything to everything by default ...

Steven W
VIP

2019-12-03 00:21 »

Okay, okay. I *could* add another networking protocol that I don't need. Not doing it. I'm back to my original assessment, who gives a flying rat's ass about the 'Your network is incomplete' message. At least my computer shuts down and restarts properly. :lol:

Steven W
VIP

2023-12-02 05:51 »

Heh. I thought I was so clever.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/154852-win ... ent=996003
I was lucky to observe a perfect system shutdown, when the ethernet cable was unplugged. Following through, I did confirm, the system shuts down correctly, when DHCP lease is released, just before the shutdown or reboot.

The next step was to separate the Microsoft Networking client and sharing from TCP/IP, while leaving just the NetBeui for file sharing. TCP/IP stack is still available for Internet access, while file sharing is done just in the LAN through NetBeui. The system seems to power down and reboot correctly, now.

Strange, but effective.
Don't get me wrong, both of us implicating the same thing nearly a decade apart says something I guess. Sfor's 'separating' TCP/IP from the protocol would probably not leave you with 'Your network is not complete' messages though. Although, technically that shouldn't be happening when I yank the shit out. I guess it's one of those 'feature, not a bug' things.