Shoot the breeze, anything goes.
!
30%

2013-03-10 18:46 »

All these "walled gardens" called "stores". Apple got one. Google got one. Microsoft got one. In the beginning they started to call these locked programs for "Apps" so people knew... an "App" means a program you buy from these locked prisons, called "walled gardens" where the big corporations decide what is allowed or not... AND they eat 30% of the profit.

Then the sheepy masses started to call regular applications for "Apps". The line got blurred. Exactly what these corporations wanted. You see, they knew that most of you people are morons. Like a herd of sheep. This is all by design. A masterful design indeed.

In Windows 8, you cannot "side load" "Apps". It means if you make an "App" it is not possible to publish it or copy it to your family members or friends without first asking permission from Microsoft. Forcing you to publish it online in their Orwellian named store called "Windows Marketplace" and in case you charge for it, they will eat a cool 30% off. Google and Apple still allow to "side load" "Apps". Just removing a small checkbox will make the circle complete.

With all these locked mobile devices where the user (the buyer, the customer) no longer has the administrator right to it, no longer can install any operating system they want on it. They are training the herd.

Entering the invisible prison, locked-in forever. Welcome to feudalism in IT.

!
30%

2013-03-10 18:46 »

I have used Microsoft software as long as I can remember from my first "PC" (IBM SX-25). One thing I always did was to trust them. Sure, everyone said this or that about them but inside Windows, you were kind'a free to roam. I never felt that Linux is free because due to its complexity, I never felt I could actually do what I wanted to do. It got in my way all the time, fix this or that, read this, and when asking from the guys who knew, I got "RTFM"! So it felt like a prison because I was always at the mercy of those "linux techies". Microsoft Windows due to its simplicity empowered me.

Microsoft Windows made it much easier so I could concentrate on what I actually needed to do on my PC. Note that I say my PC. With Windows 8, I no longer feel that this is "my" PC anymore. The same disgusting uneasy feeling I get from Android and OSX, I now get from Windows 8... I'll tell you why.

When buying an Android device or OSX, it's locked up. It is not your PC if you don't have administrator account on it. It is not your device if you cannot uninstall 3rd party crap from it. It is not your device when by default, there are a ton of applications on it which are there just to mine your data. Take your GPS position, contacts, and basically, it's their device you borrow. You can't even install a new version of the OS on these Android devices. Complete 100% locked. You rent it. This is not a buy, it's a rent. (rooting doesn't count)

Windows 8... they put this creepy thing called "Windows Marketplace", which is an absolute totally Orwellian word. They call something which is locked up (walled garden), which takes 30% of your profit and you must get approval from them a "Marketplace". No sir, that is no marketplace. War is not peace!

Windows 8... suddenly, they call the open desktop where you can do whatever you want with your PC "legacy". They want all programmers to write in WinRT and lock themselves inside this Orwellian "Marketplace".

So not only they want to take away 30% of your profit, they also want to dictate what you will be running on your PC. It must be "approved" by them. They have completely lost it. Who do they think they are at Microsoft?

Do you actually think that I would start making applications for your OS? Do you actually believe that I will be asking permission from idiots at Microsoft in order to be able to distribute MY application?

What did you say? Oh, I can't even make a WinRT application and give it to my dad or a friend? Oh, you need to approve this too? Well, up yours! You can take WinRT and put it where the sun don't shine!

Basically, what they have done is to make me... force me to not ever write one more single piece of software for Windows. I will not do it! I rather change my profession, do something else with my life than systemsdevelopment, than allow these b*st*rds at Microsoft to dictate what I can do with MY PC.

If a day comes where there no longer would be an option, you know what I would do? Trash the PC! Just like I did with my TV 14 years ago. I do not miss TV one bit and I will not miss PC one bit if it becomes a TV. What they are trying to do is to make PC like TV, very slowly turning up the heat on people without the frog jumping out of the pan. All this lock-in and cloud talk is just baby steps toward them becoming like car giants. Windows 8 is the first step toward this.

Now, if you are a real cynic, you could even take this one step further, this whole chaning the gUI of Windows 8, removing start menu and all is just a distraction! The real issue is not the start menu. The real major issue is the lock-in!!! The "must be approved" or we will not allow you to run it on your PC. They knew people would be super angry when they changed the start menu but that is exactly what they wanted. To distract you from the real issue, the lock-in!

I will post more later. My blood boils when I think of Windows 8 and I don't want to make this post into an angry rant.

Thanks for listening.

!
30%

2013-03-10 18:52 »

BUT BE HAPPY, IT IS FULL OF APPS APPS aPPs apPS apps aPpS aPps apps apps apps apps apps... repeat efter me... apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps... let's all be dumbed down together... applications are legacy... come'on everyone 1... and 2... and a 3... apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps... OH there is even Office 2013 desktop APP... App app app apps app apps app apps... u got an app? I got an app... app this and app that... app here and app there.. app app app app... there is no hope for humanity. Now they all call applications/programs for "apps". Monkey sees, monkey does.

CharlotteTheHarlot, on 10 February 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:
People better take note of this stuff, I don't know how you can make it any clearer really. Mis-identified pictures disappearing from Skydrive, suspended accounts, the whole Mega fiasco with countless unrelated sites suddenly locking down access just to be sure. There soon will be no private property, and peer-to-peer communication if allowed will be monitored like a visit to a convict in prison.

The cloud is a proxy for traditional server overlords. Your position in that age-old client-server relationship has always been obedience and submission, with a side-order of begging the admin or sysop for favorable treatment. I for one do not welcome our new ( or old ) overlords.

Imagine there's no countries...
Imagine no possessions...

Globalization + Cloud services... are we there yet? Suddenly, this tune is feeling very creepy.

CharlotteTheHarlot

2013-03-13 01:21 »

We really need a different 'net. One that has no government interference because they will never stop, and neither will the middlemen ISP's and upstream domain overlords. Taxes, content metering and screening. Censorship. They will press harder and harder, over and over until it is useless.

I don't know, maybe call it UnderNet, OverNet, PeopleNet, CitizenNet...

We can call the old corrupted one: SheepleNet.

!
30%

2013-03-13 02:30 »

Back then when wireless did not exist, it would have been hard but these days with wireless technology, I think it would be easier. Although, regarding censorship, I don't think it would matter because that comes in from the law side.

It is up to people to decide which laws are passed. Well, at least ideally. The truth is that people are too busy putting "food on their families" to care about the bigger issues. Will the human race ever see true freedom? Doubtful.

eatingbush.jpg
eatingbush.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 17012 times

I actually see the reason not political but religous. You know, the red horned guy and all.

...and the Devil kept dancing.

dancing-with-the-devil.jpg
dancing-with-the-devil.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 17013 times

!
30%

2013-03-14 05:06 »

Google announces Reader's imminent demise.

Got to love the "cloud". They can remove any of your favorite application, any time for any reason.

!
30%

2013-03-14 19:46 »

Ad-blocking apps being removed from Google Play store.

LogicalApex wrote:No biggie. You just side load or your one of the decent alternative marketplaces and you're good to go. This won't bother the users who care.

People just don't get it. Here they are, thinking they own these devices but people don't even have administrator rights on these devices. Sure, you can "root" these things but that is not how things should be.

How long will it be, before Google also removes that little checkbox allowing the "side loading" just like Apple and Microsoft with their locked-in Orwellian walled prisons "gardens".

You can fix ignorant but cannot fix stupid. The majority will always be stupid.

!
30%

2013-03-16 12:23 »

HBO.com among sites on IE10 Windows RT Flash "Blacklist".

You are only allowed to use the sites and "apps" your owners allow you to use. Nothing more, nothing less.

Any questions?

resisting_slavery.jpg
resisting_slavery.jpg (51.03 KiB) Viewed 16972 times

!
30%

2013-03-16 12:26 »

Google ditches RSS Subscription Extension for Chrome.

Many users are still upset that Google plans to shut down its Google Reader RSS subscription feed website on July 1. The decision continues to be debated in Internet circles, and now it appears Google is already distanced itself from other RSS services.

Wonderful brave new world of "Cloud".