Installation, updates, general problem solving and assistance.
TeDDy

2013-04-03 07:38 »

Long time ago a guy, "soporific" had assembled some essential drivers for w98. I try hard to put my hand on them since last week, but, all links are dead.

I think this forum is the ideal place for them, if someone still have a copy.

Anyone?

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-03 07:53 »

Hi TeDDy and welcome!

We have contacted "soporific" to see if he still has the files. If he answers and if he still has the files, we will be uploading them in here.

Ps. Don't be shy, get an avatar! :P :lol:

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-03 17:18 »

So far, no reply from "soporific".

TeDDy

2013-04-04 06:50 »

Thank you for the hot welcome.

Until an answer from "soporific", is there a method to install w98 drivers like the DPinst way for w2k/XP?
( put the decompressed drivers in folders together with an exe/script wich toggle update installed drivers )
Short: is there an DPinst alternative for w98? Maybe an older version?
Should be nice to build such driverPacks!

Have you the possibility to host such DriverPacks?
I can provide few mirroring on some of my sites(<300Mb should not be a problem)

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-04 18:28 »

TeDDy wrote:Thank you for the hot welcome.

:D :) :D

TeDDy wrote:Until an answer from "soporific", is there a method to install w98 drivers like the DPinst way for w2k/XP?
( put the decompressed drivers in folders together with an exe/script wich toggle update installed drivers )

PROBLEMCHYLD and Blissy should know! :P

TeDDy wrote:Have you the possibility to host such DriverPacks?
I can provide few mirroring on some of my sites(<300Mb should not be a problem)

Yes, sure thing! We have an active "Upload attachment" for members here, so the answer is yes, you can host it here. Only registered members can upload material but guests (non members) can still download the attachments. We have no specific limit or rule to size of the upload but if it fails, just let us know and we will look into it. Currently the size limit is set to 1000MiB just for security reasons.

Ps. You should still get an avatar! :P :lol: :P

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-04 18:35 »

It seems that the hosting has this set to our php.ini file:

File Uploads upload_max_filesize Maximum allowed size for uploaded files. 128M

No worries, we will contact the customer support and alter it. Will let you know about the results.

Fool's design
3%

2013-04-04 22:19 »

File upload size is now set to 1GB per file.

upload_max_filesize 1024M 1024M

!
30%

2013-04-06 02:46 »

Fool's design wrote:...
TeDDy wrote:Until an answer from "soporific", is there a method to install w98 drivers like the DPinst way for w2k/XP?

PROBLEMCHYLD and Blissy should know! :P...

I guess they didn't know.

On a side note, I wonder why people still use Windows 98? In old embedded systems, legacy software and such?

PROBLEMCHYLD
VIP

2013-04-06 17:50 »

Non Hic wrote:I guess they didn't know.
Its the same as any other package. If I wanted to do it, I could package up all the Win98 drivers with updated versions. Its not hard but very time consuming.
Non Hic wrote:On a side note, I wonder why people still use Windows 98? In old embedded systems, legacy software and such?
The same reason people smoke, drink, party, drive classic cars, watch bullshit reality TV etc.....
They choose to. It doesn't make them less or more of a person. Example: I own a lot of older software and the newer versions of Windows won't run it, regardless if its in compatibility mode, Virtual Machine etc..... I'm not rich, nor am I poor, but every new thing thats hits the market, I'm not rushing to get it. I had a old flip nextel phone for like 7 years. If my phone hadn't got broke, I would have never upgraded. There was no reason for me too. I have been through 3 droid phones in 2 years. You do the math. To each is own. I have relatives with 1980s floor model TVs, that's out living this new technology bullshit. Quality is what I strive for, not pretty or shiny icons and stupid-ass designs with high ass pricetags. All my computers are BLACK. I'm simple, I like simple colors, I like simple shit, call me a simpleton :mrgreen: If I wanted a MAC, I could easily withdraw a couple grand. I don't want a MAC, fuck a MAC. But if you choose to buy a MAC, thats your business. I'm not concern with what you have, and what you don't, and why! BTW, I put Windows 7 on a dual core 2.8ghz with 4GB of Ram 300GB sata drive and shit still ran slow. I have WinXP on a 1.3ghz with 1.2gb of Ram and it flies like a jet.

!
30%

2013-04-07 21:34 »

I hear you. I do buy new stuff PC wise but I fully agree on your position nevertheless. Was just generally curious how Windows 9x is used these days. :D