So... simply put, I hate fans but I like gaming. When your PC sounds like a fucking vacuum cleaner, you don't really get that immersive feeling when you game. But how do you build a 100% fanless zero decibels (0 dB) quiet gaming PC?
Well, I finally did it and here is the full specifications of the components down below.
That CPU cooler might look silly and huge but it actually works! Not only that, it is VERY easy to install. When I first opened the package, I was scared shitless. You just have to take your time, think it over several minutes and then start building it. I was amazed how simple it was to put it on. As a matter of fact, I found it simpler to install than the original Intel fan which comes with the CPU.
Now, I do have a 140 mm fan (with the settings in BIOS to rotate at 200 rpm) but the PC really didn't need it. Since this was my first time building a 100% fanless PC, I was worried that it would burn up the second I turned it on so that's why I bought this fan, just in case. I have currently put the fan hanging in the back of the PC (outside of the box) because you can't hear it when it's running at 200 rpm but the second it gets older, I'll either remove it or just put a new one instead. Anyway, you don't need this fan.
- Moderboard: 90MB0DT0-M0EAY5 ASUS Z87-PRO S1150 Z87 (C2) ATX. (Make sure it's the C2)
- Cooling paste, I got the best: Arctic-Cooling MX-4 Tube 4g.
- I originally wanted to buy a 400W fanless PSU but it was out of stock and they gave me a 500W fanless instead, it is excellent!: FSP AURUM XILENSER AU-500FL ATX FANLES.
- CPU, Intel Box Core i7 4770 3,40GHz Haswell BOXED. It comes with an original Intel fan which of course, I didn't install.
- 16GB RAM: KHX1600C9D3LK2/8GX Kingston HyperX LoVo Memory 2 x 4 GB. ATTENTION! YOU MUST INSTALL YOUR RAM BEFORE INSTALLING THE CPU COOLER. YOU CANNOT GET TO THE RAM SLOTS ONCE YOU INSTALL THE CPU COOLER. THEREFORE, YOU MIGHT AS WELL FILL UP ALL OF YOUR RAM SLOTS BEFOREHAND.
- The CPU cooler, is: NOFAN CR-95C Fanless Computer CPU Cooler Silent Dust Zero Black Pearl EMS. I bought the "Black pearl" because I read that the other one which doesn't have any "color" on the copper, it gets rusty and ugly pretty quick.
- A fanless Nvidia GTX 750, the only fanless gaming graphics card I could find: Palit GTX 750 KalmX Silent 2GB GeForce Graphics Card PCI-E.
- PC case, got: NOFAN CS-80 Computer Case full ATX Quiet. Let me tell you, this case is REALLY GOOD. Screwless design and excellent room. It is THE BEST case I have ever used.
- Of course, if you want a 100% silent PC, you cannot have a mechanical drive in it. I went for the "current best SSD", which is: SSDSC2BB240G401 Intel DC S3500 Serie 240 GB SSD. I saw in some test that this was the only SSD which would stand a power loss without your files getting all messed up. It's super thin, super small and FAST!
- Obligatory camera: Q2F-00015 Microsoft LifeCam Studio. I use its microphone to send music into the games I play. Works pretty good. Haven't tested the video yet but meh... it should be OK I suppose.
- Mouse... I personally love the feeling of this mouse: RAZER IMPERATOR 6400 dpi 2012 Elite Gaming Mouse. Some say they break too soon and it might be true but again, I like the feeling of it in my hand.
- I bought this ASUS MX239H display but I got to tell you, the built-in speakers are PURE JUNK! The display itself is not too bad but it's a bit "dark". I'm used to EIZO displays but this one was so cheap so meh...
- [GELID] Silent 14 - Silent PC CASE FAN 140mm,14cm,25T,4Pin,White,FN-SX14-10.
So, by disabling the "C-state", it sits around 48 degrees Celsius and when I game, it goes up to around hm, 65 degrees Celsius. Works without issues. No blue screens, no lock ups, nothing. It just works.
Even installed Hyper-V in it, running another virtual PC ... AND ... gaming at the same time. Just works.
By the way, the BIOS, I updated it to the latest version. Pretty simple. Just download the BIOS file from ASUS Web site, put it on C: and go to BIOS, choose it and install it. (NEVER USE A WINDOWS APPLICATION TO UPDATE YOUR BIOS. I DID IT ONCE AND IT BRICKED MY MODERBOARD!)
I am very happy with this PC. 100% silent and FAST. A cold start to Windows login prompt? I think 7 seconds!
Here are two screenshots, idle and gaming (without C-state. That is, C-state is disabled in BIOS). Bear in mind that my room is pretty cold right now so after a while, the CPU will go up and sit around 60 degrees Celsius.